Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want to buy my first vintage fedora.

Ethan Douglas

Familiar Face
So I'm looking for my first vintage fedora. My hat size is 7 1/2. Pretty much I'd like something that has a solid 1940s look to it, it doesn't have to necessarily be from that decade just something with a relatively tall crown, wide ribbon and a medium length brim 2 1/4 or 2 1/2. I've looked at most of the modern offerings that companies have and just can't really find what I'm looking for. The Stetsonian offered by JJ hats is sort of what I'm looking for, just a little shorter brim. Ideally I'm wanting to spend less than $200. I know, I know, good vintage fedoras cost alot of money, but I'm in college and can't justify spending anymore than that. I'm not buying it for a collection, but to wear. Any help is much appreciated, thank y'all so much!

My experience in the hunt for good vintage has not been all that rewarding. You have to have a great deal of patience, especially with your larger sized head. On Ebay there is much crap being peddled as vintage and I have made some terribly bad purchases. IMHO your best bet is to look here regularly on The Lounge where the members sell good quality for a fair price. Rarely a bargain but most always a fair price. I have had good success with Scott @ FineVintageFedoras on etsy.com. He is a reseller that sells refurbished vintage often in 7 3/8 and 7 1/2 sizing. His hats are good and prices fair. You might want to send him a note and alert him to your wants. The other thought is to consider a custom hat. Save your coffee or beer money for a few months and spring for a custom. The prices are not that much more than your budget and the hat will be brilliant. If you send me a PM I will direct you to hatters that make great hats in a very reasonable price point.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Color?

20190515_073036.jpg 20190517_073505.jpg 20181011_083026.jpg

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can always have a hatter replace a ribbon for you to make it your own hat. I've usually paid $25 for that.

The brims on these run 2-3/8 to 2-1/2".

In looking through my hats I'm surprised at the number of size 7-3/8 I have.

These 3 are all size 7-1/2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points