Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: Black "Beater" size 7.5

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'm on the prowl for a black felt fedora that I can get on the cheap. Everybody defines "beater" in a different way, but basically I want something that looks used, but not falling apart. Ideally, a 2 1/2 or 2 5/8 inch brim, bound or welt, but if the right look & price comes along, I'm flexible. Also, I want to avoid dramatic taper, but some is ok. No westerns, please.

I need to stay under $50, the lower the better. I don't care about age, maker, etc. I'm just after a certain look that I can't think ow to describe... but I'll know it when I see it.

Thank you!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Gee I wish I could help you here. My Husband has one hat, sort of looks like a Stratoliner or Borsalina thin ribbon that needs a new sweatband installed and could use a cleaning. But the hat has a lot of character to it. If it already had the sweatband in it, and a professional cleaning job, we would consider selling it.

Someone should have something for you????

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The sweatband is so old and nasty looking, it is "flaking" off in small tid bit size chunks, if you even touch it. However that hat is actually a nice looking hat, better looking than some hats being showcased here on the Lounge! It would be a close looking hat to a Camp Draft, Stratoliner look but black and just maybe a better felt.Hard for me to really compare this to the other Vintage hats. I can say if it was fixed, and that for sale, the price would be close to the $200.00 mark, as the hat has that look and quality to it. Just is someone really allowed the hat to be stored in a fairly warm dry place. The leather is "poof"....lol And it can use a professional cleaning. It could get away without one, but the black can look just like new if it has the cleaning done. It will make the hat be very "aggressive" with a clean fresh looking black showing the profile of the hat. It has some character to it, that a few other hats we had here, did also. It is not an actual thin ribbon, but the ribbon on it now is less than an inch wide...shines and is black as the edge binding is also.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto