Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: Working Phonograph

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
pd_phonograph_061017_ssv.jpg

I can be the best friend ever if I'm able to find a vintage or vintage inspired Phonograph like the one above for a Christmas gift.

Please let me know if you or someone you know or other can assist.

Thank you! :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
An original "like that" is going to run a few G's.

You can get a reproduction (most are made in India or China) for a hundred or less if you watch eBay.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, yes. The reproductions are garbage. But if you are just looking for a casual home decor item, they'll do. If your friend wants the Real Deal, ie playable, then you must have an original. (Ebay also, though they turn up at inflated prices at antique malls).

DerMann

Practically Family
I was in the same situation you were in a few years ago.

Eventually, I settled on the RCA Lawton. It's a modern repro, and it's not that great, but I like it enough.

The base bit is wood with some sort of veneer. It has a CD player and AM/FM radio built in (you can hardly tell its there, too). The sound is best described as tinny and there's quite a bit of distortion, but I love that effect. It'll play 33s, 45s, and possibly 78s (never tried). It's electric, but it has a crank for look. The horn is pretty thin sheet metal, and the arm and table are both just shiny plastic.

Considering I got mine for $50 shipped, I don't think it's too bad of a deal. Just keep an eye out on eBay or the net in general. There's another model that's slightly more expensive only for the reason that it has an LCD screen for radio tuning.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Victor: Do you really want an original acoustic player? Or just a player that plays 78 RPM records? Big difference. A 78 RPM turntable can be bought new or used very cheaply, and plugged into any standard sound system with a "Phono" input. But a player with a horn like that actually takes the vibrations from the needle and passes it through to the big cone without any electrical amplification at all. The best original ones are wonders of craftsmanship. One like in your picture can be a museum piece.

THe Conductor

One of the Regulars
I was at a record store today in Portland, OR (Vinyl Resting Place) and they had a cabinet type Edison player for $850. The horn is built into the cabinet though. Comes with 100 Edison Records. Lots of Foxtrots, waltzs and what not from the 20s. If I had the cash and place for it, I would have bought it.

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
Hey guys thanks for all the info.

I'm looking for the real thing which I know wont be cheap. Like I said Ill be the BEST friend ever if I can get this purchase but a good enough repo would work as well.

But if anyone local here in LA knows where I can get one that would be great. Of course Ill be hitting up the Rose Bowl Flea market in the next week so hopefully Ill catch something.

You know what would also be a swell gift?... a vintage microphone.
Thanks again guys! I appreciate the info! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari