Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

War Movie Marathon on TCM Memorial Day Weekend

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Combat!

Also, Encore has been running two episodes of Combat! back to back every morning starting at 9:00am. Check you local listing though for your time. It's always great to invite Hanley, Saunders, Caje, Kirby, LittleJohn and Doc back into the living room. It's hard to believe it's been 40 years plus! Most of the squad is gone now. I believe some of those ancient episodes were as good as Private Ryan and Band of Brothers in their day. Hope you enjoy them like I do! -dixon cannon

Hondo

One Too Many
Happy Birthday John Wayne

Today TMC kicks off with a few John Wayne films, Happy Birthday Duke!
Thanks Captain K., If time permits, I'll catch some of TMC's Memorial Day Weekend films, plus some from my own library, Tribute to the Greatest generation, all of you have a safe weekend, remember those who never came back. :eusa_clap

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
It was awesome. I actually got up hours before the wife and daughter on Sunday and Monday (instead of sleeping in) just to watch as much as I could. I've never seen some of those greaat movies. Return to Batan was really good.

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I only managed to sneak in one that was on TCM. But I came home and watched The Guns of Navarrone and the first episode of Band of Brothers (both on DVD). That's the problem with not having cable. I can't watch the History Channel anymore or TCM. But on the other hand, I wouldn't get anything DONE if I did have cable!

Hondo

One Too Many
In Harms Way

I caught Otto Preminger's "In Harms Way" with John Wayne, just read some of the reviews on Amazon com, I couldn't describe it better, an outstanding WWII Navy film, do check it out :eusa_clap

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
Thank goodness for digitial video recorders! I have about 10 movies on mine from this weekend waiting to be watched in the coming weeks. And remember, TCM will do it all again next Memorial Day weekend.

Feraud

Bartender
I enjoyed having so many good films running this weekend on TCM. The bad part was not being able to sit in front of the television for three days straight! lol ;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
I enjoyed having so many good films running this weekend on TCM. The bad part was not being able to sit in front of the television for three days straight! lol ;)

LOL exactly!

Fox Movie Channel and AMC were also both showing war movies for a good portion of the weekend. It was awesome being able to sit down and take your pick of 3 channels showing WWII movies at any given moment!

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Hondo said:
I caught Otto Preminger's "In Harms Way" with John Wayne, just read some of the reviews on Amazon com, I couldn't describe it better, an outstanding WWII Navy film, do check it out :eusa_clap

Hondo,

My Hubby and I caught "In Harms Way" as well. We both enjoyed it immensely. Thought it had a little more of an edge than most WWII films. Patricia Neal was fantastic.

Jessica

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
VintageJess said:
Hondo,

My Hubby and I caught "In Harms Way" as well. We both enjoyed it immensely. Thought it had a little more of an edge than most WWII films. Patricia Neal was fantastic.

Jessica

I watched that one too, it really was edgy, especially when Kirk Douglas raped the nurse and then she committed suicide. Do you think his sacrifice of him taking the B25 out to find the Japanese fleet made up for that? I guess he did.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
J. M. Stovall said:
I watched that one too, it really was edgy, especially when Kirk Douglas raped the nurse and then she committed suicide. Do you think his sacrifice of him taking the B25 out to find the Japanese fleet made up for that? I guess he did.

Stovall,

That was quite an interesting twist, huh? To be honest, I would have preferred that Kirk Douglas live and we could see how John Wayne handled such a difficult command situation...I thought that killing him off in such a way was a little convenient.

Jessica

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
That really blew me away, I'm so used to Kirk being a good guy. I was just watching that scene with my mouth open in disbelief, and then thinking "I can't believe they just did that"! I was ready to bust him in the chops myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ