Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

War Of The Worlds Hoax

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
I recently watched something on TV about the Orson Wells 1938 War of the Worlds Hoax. Actually an episode of the American radio drama anthology series Mercury Theatre, the story of "The War of the Worlds" was portrayed as a news bulletin over the course of 60 minutes on October 30, 1938. People fled their homes in fear of world's end and total chaos came over until word spread that the entire story was all a big Halloween Hoax.

Any interesting stories from the "survivors"?

Story

I'll Lock Up
The New Jersey National Guard armory at Lawrenceville (about 15 miles from Grover's Mill) was used by a horse-drawn 75mm battery at the time of Wells' hoax. Today, it houses the artillery park for the NJ Militia Museum and has a couple of those pieces in it's collection.

Being the Devil's Advocate, I suggested the curators' (retired artillerymen themselves) tell the more gullible visitors that "this was one of the guns that fire d on the Martian tripods in 1938". :p lol :D

11French75mmFieldGun.jpg

Of course, there are some that claim that it was a cover-up of a real invasion... lol
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread136275/pg1

Radio Listeners in Panic, Taking War Drama as Fact
Many Flee Homes to Escape 'Gas Raid From Mars'--Phone Calls Swamp Police at Broadcast of Wells Fantasy
This article appeared in the New York Times on Oct. 31, 1938.

A wave of mass hysteria seized thousands of radio listeners between 8:15 and 9:30 o'clock last night when a broadcast of a dramatization of H. G. Wells's fantasy, "The War of the Worlds," led thousands to believe that an interplanetary conflict had started with invading Martians spreading wide death and destruction in New Jersey and New York.

The broadcast, which disrupted households, interrupted religious services, created traffic jams and clogged communications systems, was made by Orson Welles, who as the radio character, "The Shadow," used to give "the creeps" to countless child listeners. This time at least a score of adults required medical treatment for shock and hysteria.

In Newark, in a single block at Heddon Terrace and Hawthorne Avenue, more than twenty families rushed out of their houses with wet handkerchiefs and towels over their faces to flee from what they believed was to be a gas raid. Some began moving household furniture.

Throughout New York families left their homes, some to flee to near-by parks. Thousands of persons called the police, newspapers and radio stations here and in other cities of the United States and Canada seeking advice on protective measures against the raids.

The program was produced by Mr. Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air over station WABC and the Columbia Broadcasting System's coast-to-coast network, from 8 to 9 o'clock.

The radio play, as presented, was to simulate a regular radio program with a "break-in" for the material of the play. The radio listeners, apparently, missed or did not listen to the introduction, which was: "The Columbia Broadcasting System and its affiliated stations present Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air in 'The War of the Worlds' by H. G. Wells."

See also
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=196009&postcount=5

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
We listend to that broadcast in 1938 ( I was about 6 years old) and we knew it was an enactment of H. G. Wells "War of The Worlds". I don't think we even knew of the panic until the next day or so. In reading about the aftermath, it seems it was mostly New Jersey and New York that reacted to such an extent to the program. I don't remember reading that there was much, if any, panic outside of that general area.

Bill Taylor

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's exactly right -- the main focus of the response was right around the New York/New Jersey area, specifically those areas referred to in the drama itself. There were isolated pockets of reaction elsewhere, but the notion of a "nationwide panic" with many millions rushing into the streets was a press exaggeration.

I've done quite a bit of active research on this subject, much of which is quotedhere. The short answer is that no more than 1.2 million people (out of a population of over 130 million) were moved to "do something" by the broadcast -- and most who did something did nothing more dramatic than calling a friend.

Welles, though, was a master of publicity -- and he was able to take full advantage of the press furor surrounding the incident, riding it into a lucrative sponsor contract with Campbell's Soup, and ultimately a film contract with RKO.

Rachael

A-List Customer
In a slightly unrelated vein, my kids and I always watch "Spaced Invaders" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100666/on October 31. It's a goofy film about low-ranking martians who overhear a re-broadcast and think they are getting in on the invading action. There is a fun scene in which two older couples discuss how they had reacted to the original broadcast.. and then we have fun yelling "Prepare to Die Earth Scum" along with the film.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Interesting! I was under the impression it was more of a panic, but just as things are nowadays, "bad" new gets blown out of proportion. People love drama, I suppose. I asked my grandmother today, who was about 15 at the time and she said that they didn't pay any attention. Ain't history rich! :)

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
My mother, who grew up in Ecuador, told me that when the radio station in Quito did a Spanish version of The War of the Worlds in the mid-1940s (mind you, several years after The Mercury Theater incident), not only did it cause a general panic but angry residents later burned down the radio station upon finding out it was a hoax. Apparently several people were also killed in the turmoil. :(

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Radio ad sales people for decades pointed to that night as an illustration of the hypnotic power of the radio medium. And it did/marginally does have a different and powerful impact when compared to print. It is still against FCC rules to advertise a lottery (except for state lotteries, I might add) on the radio. The criteria are prize, chance and consideration. It was believed that people would respond to hearing messages about gambling in an unhealthy way, but could read about gambling just fine.

Lizzie will hopefully correct any facts rapidly pulled from my ear.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another lasting impact occured at the network level -- both NBC and CBS enacted policies prohibiting the use of "simulated news bulletins" in any programs or advertising -- the words "FLASH" and "BULLETIN" could only be used to introduce actual news.

The best quote in the aftermath, I think, came from journalist Dorothy Thompson, who suggested the reaction would have been even bigger had not all the intelligent people been listening to Charlie McCarthy.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
A reminder to all of us to remain calm in a crisis, even if Martians do seem to be attacking. :rolleyes:

My favorite:

In Newark, in a single block at Heddon Terrace and Hawthorne Avenue, more than twenty families rushed out of their houses with wet handkerchiefs and towels over their faces to flee from what they believed was to be a gas raid. Some began moving household furniture.

Space invaders are attacking, and you're moving household furniture?? :p

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
I play this for the trick or treaters

Every Halloween at the end of our 150 foot long driveway my wife and I beckon the kids with flames and candy by setting up the outdoor fire pit, a couple of lawn chairs, and my (repro) vintage radio with the 1938 broadcast playing through its speaker. It's included on the DVD of the 1953 version I unexpectedly found for $6.99. I used to do this on a cassette recorded from an LP that was available in the early '70s. It was part of a four volume set of vintage recordings bought from a TV ad.

p51

One Too Many
I once talked with a WW2 vet who'd been in the New Jersey National Guard at the time and was called to duty that evening for riot control. He wasn't listening to the show and had no idea what was going on until he got to the armory. His First SGT told him that there was "some kind of panic" over a radio show. He said later there was a joking attempt to get a "Battle of Grover's Mills" campaign medal issued.
LizzieMaine said:
Another lasting impact occurred at the network level -- both NBC and CBS enacted policies prohibiting the use of "simulated news bulletins" in any programs or advertising -- the words "FLASH" and "BULLETIN" could only be used to introduce actual news.
It didn't last. I know it has nothing to do with the Golden age but does anyone recall the TV show "Special Bulletin" from 1983? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086350/ Great story, someone stashes a nuke in Charleston harbor. The ending was not what I expected, they set it off and capsized the USS Yorktown anchored on the other side of the bay.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
The best quote in the aftermath, I think, came from journalist Dorothy Thompson, who suggested the reaction would have been even bigger had not all the intelligent people been listening to Charlie McCarthy.
lol lol lol

I agree, tho, that the reaction was greatest in the most urban areas, where you couldn't help but see or hear a crowd on your street or where neighbors could yell the "news" right into your window - all before you had a chance to think it thru.
The New York Times said:
The State, county, parkway and local police in Westchester County were swamped also with calls from terrified residents. Of the local police departments, Mount Vernon, White Plains, Mount Kisco, Yonkers and Tarrytown received most of the inquiries.
All pretty densely populated in 1938, and even more so today.

DerMann

Practically Family
My neighbour in my dormitory has an LP set of the original recordings. We're taking them to the library this week and converting them to MP3s :D

Don't know how the copyright situation works out, though D:

Feraud

Bartender
BinkieBaumont said:
There is a Hillarious scene in "Woody Allens" "Radio Days" a couple are on a date, they run out of petrol and turn on the radio in the middle of "Mercury theatre" the guy panicks and runs screaming off into the dark! leaving the girl alone!
I love the scene. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto