Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe crisis!

Bubbles

New in Town
I feel guilty; this is only my second post, and I am asking for help already! I am a manager at a local bank, and I was just informed that all of the managers (about 30 people) will be attending a mandatory team-building exercise at a ropes course :)( ) on a Saturday. I dress vintage every day, and I only have one pair of slacks (sailor pants). This activity is calling for "outdoor clothes and tennis shoes", neither of which I own or have any desire to buy or wear, ever! Also, I am probably the least graceful person in the entire world, so I predict that I will fall on the ground numerous times during the course of the day. Does anyone have any ideas for clothes to wear to an activity like this? I don't even own a pair of jeans!

Elaina

One Too Many
As the Great Dame of all things klutzy...I'd suggest buying a pair of jeans. May not like them, but it's times like this they're invaluable to have. Top it with a t-shirt, a cute scarf...not exactly fashion forward, but it can be passable.

I now own 2 pairs...one I ripped the backside out of taking the cub scouts to the zoo...and falling. I had to do an emergency replace that day, and got another pair (which are now less then 2 weeks old, and have a hole starting in the knee, from falling off my porch.)

rongoms

Familiar Face
Hiya Bubbles!

Why not try a pair of the ever-so-popular cargo pants in khaki twill? They'd be durable enough, in most cases for a team building ropes course and would look vintage "enough" to not offend your anti-denim sensibilities. :)

As far as actually doing stuff on the ropes course, I have a friend who, when faced with something that would require a break in her classic sytle and grace, simply says "No, i think not" and leaves it at that. It's showing individuality, just like your dressing vintage each day. When some stuffed-shirt "facilitator" tells you that it's required and "everyone else is doing it" tell Skip and Buffy that a Great man (Churchill) once said:
"Consensus is the absence of leadership."

And smile.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Bubs,

If it's what they are calling High Ropes, you will need a pair of jeans. Don't wear your vintage stuff. It won't take the beating. If you have a Good Will store in your area, I'm sure you can get a pair of jeans for less than $5. Have you thought of a pair of bib overalls? You can wrap your hair in a bandana and roll the legs of the bibs. You can still feel vintage without ruining any of the good clothes.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Bubbles,
I second, Grnidwitch's suggestion. I think bibs and a bandana in your hair would look just darling. I've seen lots of bib overalls at the thrift stores, so maybe you will find some there. They're usually reasonably priced too. For shoes, how about your standard "keds"-type of shoes? Those can be extremely cheap at discount stores and come in all sorts of colors. I think you can carry this off and not have to sacrifice your vintage style (or your pocketbook) at all!

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
rongoms said:
As far as actually doing stuff on the ropes course, I have a friend who, when faced with something that would require a break in her classic sytle and grace, simply says "No, i think not" and leaves it at that. It's showing individuality, just like your dressing vintage each day. When some stuffed-shirt "facilitator" tells you that it's required and "everyone else is doing it" tell Skip and Buffy that a Great man (Churchill) once said:
"Consensus is the absence of leadership."

And smile.
I concur. Since when has something as physically demanding as a ropes course become required to maintain one's position as a bank manager? That's simply ludicrous. I'd be tempted to get a doctor's note or something like saying that it'd be a matter for HR and the legal dept. to work out should I be forced to climb ropes or risk physical injury for a non-direct-work-related activity. What are they going to do next, make you walk a tightrope over a pool of crocodiles to prove you can get more accounts next year?

I really dislike this trend in modern management, and further reinforces my disinclination to go into management. :mad:

I sincerely hope you are able to come up with an acceptable compromise, both clothing-wise and activity-wise. Good luck and let us know how it turns out, please.

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
Speaking of of cub scout zoo trip sthat result in rip outs - it's alwas a good idea to bring a good old fashioned sewatshirt or sweater. Odds are you're going to be engaged in a lot of those weird things they did to me when I was a girlscout. "Here are six unevenly spaced logs and there are six of you and two planks of wood. Rest the planks of wood on the logs and, without touching the ground, move your entire team across." Four people will fall - seven times. You will be knocked off of your board more than once. You will get slivers in your hands and by the end of the experience, you will know that everyone you work with is geometrically challenged and they all will have seen you with leaves in your hair. It's more "abject humiliation in front of your peers" than "teambuilding" ... unless those are the same thing.

But anyway, even in warm weather, outdoorsy locations can get cold in the evening - or even in midday - because tree cover plays tricks on the sunlight. The real reason, however, is that if you do have an accidental tear in your jeans, it never happens somewhere you want it to. Invariably, it's either below the pockets but above your actual legs or - worse, the backseam rips out. That, my friends, is where the sweatshirt comes in :p Tied around your waist, it's a great tool in the event you didn't want to show off your skivvies.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elaina, I do hope you're ok from your falls! I've got the klutzy gene in my family, I've been known to randomly walk into walls even when I'm looking. I still fall off the bed!!

As for attire, I know you probably don't want to buy jeans, but this is probably gonna be the best thing for you. They are durable, and if you get a pair with a bit of stretch to them they can actually be comfortable. I live in the northeast, where winters can be miserable. Days can be so cold I don't feel like leaving the house, let alone trying to drudge through piles of snow and slush to catch the train. I would hat to ruin a nice pair of slacks, for usually in the winter with the poorly shoveled sidewalks the bottom half of my pants will be covered in slush, mud and salt. So I wear jeans. I love to wear dresses, but even with a heavy coat, it's just too darn cold some days. I have a very cute pair of straight leg jeans from the gap. They are pretty high waisted (by todays standards) and instead of boot cut or flares which I'm just not crazy about they are straight and wide. I call them my trouser jeans. They are a pretty dark blue with none of that fashionable fading. I have to say they are quite comfortable, and not too expensive so I don't feel so horrible if they get a bit beat up. I got these at The Gap, they are there Long and Lean style (funny for me to love this style being that I'm only 5 feet tall), and I just found out that the Gap has dropped the price of all of their jeans by $20! So you can get them for $49.50.
If you don't feel like spending that you might have luck at Old Navy. They have a ton of different styles, and they are owned by The Gap, so you might find a similar pair for a bit less. I know, it stinks to spend money on something you might not get much use out of. By the way, right now Old Navy has a very cute pair of white linen(?) sailor pants that are really vintage-y. These wouldn't be good for your outing this Saturday, but I thought it might be good to let you know about them.

As for your feet, you might be able to get away with a pair of Keds. They are pretty cheap and comfy and should get you through the day. Just try to be as comfortable as possible. Ideally, a sweat suit would be the most comfy thing to wear and they can be really cheap. But, I can understand why you wouldn't want to wear one. I spend a lot of time lounging around being that I'm out of work at the moment, so I have to admit that I own a few very comfortable sweat suits. Not the typical grey sweats and baggy t-shirts, at least my little outfits do match. IMO, kind of silly to sit on the couch all day all dolled up. I also try to take walks everyday through the neighborhood to combat boredom, and IMO it's kind of silly to wade through the mucky streets in a vintage dress and platform shoes. I think every girl needs at least one comfortable outfit that they aren't scared of ruining just in case they find themselves in the situation of needing one.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ah yes, the team building exercise. Instead of getting rid of the dead weight, backstabbers and job hoppers, and providing management training for those worth keeping, the brass sends them all off to recess.

Sigh.

I'd go to the thrift store and get some inexpensive jeans, a t-shirt, a zip-up sweat shirt and tennis shoes.

If you don't wish to climb ropes or whatnot, you might ask if the event is covered under workers' compensation.

Etienne

A-List Customer
When I first read this thread, I began trying to think of what you could wear. Then, the more I thought about it being a team building effort, and trying to visualize myself in that position, I realized I would not be able to do it! Managing a bank is one thing; doing rope challenges is something else again! Next week I am having my 19th or 20th (I've lost count) surgery--this one for my cervical spine. What would someone in my position DO in your situation?? I'd have to just sign up for keeping score, being a cheerleader, or bringing yummy snacks because I could NOT compete! (Besides, a vintage apron could be very cute!) I'm really interested to see how this plays out for you; do keep us posted! Good luck!!

Bubbles

New in Town
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! It is wonderful how helpful everyone is around here. The overalls and bandana idea is great; I didn't even think of that! I still haven't figured out how making a fool of yourself in front of your coworkers helps you do your job better; I have proven to my boss (unfortunately, many times!) that I am capable of making a fool of myself anytime and anywhere, so we may as well just all go out to eat!

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Well, you sound like quite a good sport about the whole thing. I'd love to see a picture of what you end up with. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy