Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

wargaming

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Messages
275
Location
near seattle
Do any of the members on this forum participate in miniature wargames (axis and allies, flames of war etc.?)

I'm curious simply because of the historical aspects of such games and the interest they may hold for some loungers.

PS: if this is in the wrong forum I apologize, please redirect me if necessary.
 

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Messages
275
Location
near seattle
I ask because I am going to make my own map for wargaming (3-d and all) because the old maps are growing old and boring. Has anyone embarked on a similar journey?
 

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Messages
275
Location
near seattle
I'm going to make most of it from scratch (hopefully) but I wanted to buy some of the common (read: boring to make) pieces. Does anyone know if Hobbytown USA sells Terrain?
 

Edward

Bartender
Messages
23,552
Location
London, UK
Never dabbled with conventional, historical gaming - I was more a goblins and skeletons kind of gamer in my day. Still have some of that stuff.... The game system I am toying with the idea of dabbling in is a new one entitled Reich of the Dead - basically a WW2 set zombie game, with Nazi zombies. Probably not quite what you had in mind. lol

When you say you want to create your own maps, what do you mean? We used to put together our own stuff all the time, but of course as the systems I played in were fictional, we had a pretty wide scope for that...
 

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Messages
275
Location
near seattle
Edward said:
When you say you want to create your own maps, what do you mean? We used to put together our own stuff all the time, but of course as the systems I played in were fictional, we had a pretty wide scope for that...

the kind I am going for are WWII era settings, I wanted to make a little forest, village and some hills leading to a fortress type thing and I hoped to throw in a trench somewhere in there.

the problem isn't exactly scope since I'm not basing it on an actual location (that way I can add and take away things) but the problems I have are what materials to use for individual models, how to appropriately scale buildings and such and finding space and time to do all this.
 

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Messages
275
Location
near seattle
the only issue I have with these is the fact that most are era/country specific, I want something which is going to work in almost any scenario.
 

Edward

Bartender
Messages
23,552
Location
London, UK
bobalooba said:
the kind I am going for are WWII era settings, I wanted to make a little forest, village and some hills leading to a fortress type thing and I hoped to throw in a trench somewhere in there.

the problem isn't exactly scope since I'm not basing it on an actual location (that way I can add and take away things) but the problems I have are what materials to use for individual models, how to appropriately scale buildings and such and finding space and time to do all this.

Ah, gotcha. I was thinking paper map rather than a tabletop for game use - my confusion.

In terms of space, I'd be inclined to suggest that you keep the 'board' itself as flat as possible, so it can be easily stored against a wall. buildings etc as spearate peies also makes your table much more flexible in terms of how you set it up. One thing I do remember being used a lot in my day were cloth 'maps' that ould be set out over any table, or rolled to store. (Obviously, this put some limitations on how far you could go with painting etc). I'm sure that the use of 'loose' building pieces etc were encouraged in a lot of the systems I played - I seem to remember reading in various rulebooks the suggestion that the players take turns at each setting out a piece at a time, which would work quite well if all you were simulating was a pitched battle rather than a specific historical event.
 

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Messages
275
Location
near seattle
Edward said:
a pitched battle rather than a specific historical event.

I did want to avoid this as actual historical events are so often stacked in one persons favor, sure a victory in that situation would be fun but it would get irritating after a while.
 

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,495
Location
Hawaii
I always wanted to play historical wargames but I was stuck with a group of sci-fi/fantasy guys in highschool/college what we did a bunch of Warhammer and Warhammer 40K.

Not bad for simple tactical combat systems, but the games were very "superhero" character heavy which really ruined the combat tactics...

I did spend some time modifiying the basic rules of Warhammer to come up with a general ancient/medeival/early modern combat system that worked pretty well. Could do some fun cross-time things like Romans vs. medieval armies, or pike and shot vs. samurai that sort of stuff.
 

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Messages
275
Location
near seattle
Chasseur said:
I always wanted to play historical wargames but I was stuck with a group of sci-fi/fantasy guys in highschool/college what we did a bunch of Warhammer and Warhammer 40K.

Not bad for simple tactical combat systems, but the games were very "superhero" character heavy which really ruined the combat tactics...

I did spend some time modifiying the basic rules of Warhammer to come up with a general ancient/medeival/early modern combat system that worked pretty well. Could do some fun cross-time things like Romans vs. medieval armies, or pike and shot vs. samurai that sort of stuff.

If you are still interested I think Axis and allies minis is a great way to start, not too pricey, not too complex but pretty darn fun.

Also, to see if I liked Flames of War (which is extremely fun) I just got the rules for 20 bucks and played it using my A&A guys.
 
Turned up this older thread on a search. Any active wargamers out there now?
Well, not so much active since the lines are being slow-rolled at the moment, but I'm doing historical consulting for Ares Games on their Wings of Glory WWI/WWII and Sails of Glory Napoleonic naval miniatures lines, have been for quite a few years now.

Last release we were working on to put into production was a WWII one, themed around the South Pacific including a mix of the Cactus Air Force, the Yamamoto hit and the Black Sheep.
 

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Messages
8,508
Location
Chicago, IL US
Special Forces Son Tay POW camp raid had casino tables inside and outside full scale mockup that dismantled
so Soviet satellites couldn't snap any space shots. The planning/practice was getting complicated even back in the day.

The Bin Laden hit would be an interesting shirt front poker table stakes review.
 

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Messages
8,508
Location
Chicago, IL US
Last release we were working on to put into production was a WWII one, themed around the South Pacific including the Yamamoto hit and the Black Sheep.

Putting a hit on a flag-rank officer is a singular sin, unique, and martial cold poker no matter how sliced.
Rear Admiral Edwin Layton, author of And I Was There, former Naval Intelligence and Yamamoto professional
acquaintance while stationed in pre war Japan, tried to dance around the hit.

Layton, to his everlasting regret failed to read the poker faced South Pacific map or gauge the gasoline/oil
Imperial Navy stocks to properly assess a need for Japan to strike the Dutch East Indies and cover its
fleet by attacking the American fleet anchorage at Pearl Harbor and Subic Bay, Philippines.
Vengeance is a double edged sword and I believe Layton suffered a cut with the Y hit.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
102,373
Messages
2,904,639
Members
49,507
Latest member
Tonychen929
Top