Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warmth: Barnstormer vs. Pea Coat

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Can anybody here who owns both an Aero Barnstormer with Alpaca lining and an issued Pea Coat tell me how warm the Barnstormer wears compared to the Pea Coat?

Thanks.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Although I don't own a pea coat, I have worn them before and IMO, the pea coat is much warmer.

I have a Cheyenne with Alpaca and it's good to about freezing, but it all depends on how many layers you are wearing.

JanSolo

Practically Family
A good quality peacoat (Sterlingwear is highly recommended for recent ones) will be as warm as a medium weight down jacket. I wore my vintage '68 Dale all through winter. You will probably remember that we had a lot of snow around christmas and it was well cold. I couldn't have felt warmer!

Even with the Alpaca lining the Barnstormer will be nowhere near as warm as a heavy all wool peacoat. I used to have a Cheyenne with a double wool tartan lining and it wasn't warm at all.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks.

Cool, I actually like that. For the real cold days I usually wear my repro Irvin or a Gore Tex jacket. So when I put a tartan or B10 lining on top of the alpaca it should still be wearable during a normal German winter, right?

I heard Aero use different weights of Alpaca, is that true?

Jan, can a Barnstormer be done in goat or are the hides too short? I'm a little bit concerned that a Barnstormer in HFQHH with Alpaca and a top layer lining is too heavy to be comfortable.

D

Deleted member 16736

I just picked up a peacoat on eBay. I'll let you know. By the way, it's a navy-issue coat of recent vintage by Crown Clothing Company of New Jersey, and the quality is stellar.

Edward

Bartender
I should think little could match a Barnstormer with sheepskin lining. Tempted by that idea myself, just concerned it would be too much most of the time.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Jan, can a Barnstormer be done in goat or are the hides too short?

That's a no. The hides aren't big enough and it seems that Aero want to reserve their goatskins for their military jackets. Seal jerky HH would be an excellent alternative in my opinion. It's lighter in weight but not much thinner or weaker than FQHH.

Edward's idea is excellent: You could order a Barnstormer with a full sheepskin lining (like on the Waterfront). That would be a warm jacket!

What is a "double wool tartan lining"? Two Reiver weight tartans?

Yes! Just two layers of wool instead of one. No magic solutions here...:)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I'm totally alright with a Barnstormer that's less warm than a pea coat. No shearling liner for me. I can always layer some sweaters underneath to make it warmer. For the real cold days I'd use my Irvin or my Gore Tex parka. I'm wondering, though. When wearing my Gore Tex parka usually two sweaters underneath are all I need even during the coldest winter. The Gore tex is just a windproof shell. Leather is windproof, too. Shouldn't a leather jacket wear just as warm with two sweaters underneath?

I love the brown FQHH, so a lighter leather in a colour as close as possible would be appreciated. Seal is a much darker shade, isn't it? Guess I'll really have to request some samples.

Can anybody explain to me what "jerky" means in the context of leather?

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm wondering, though. When wearing my Gore Tex parka usually two sweaters underneath are all I need even during the coldest winter. The Gore tex is just a windproof shell. Leather is windproof, too. Shouldn't a leather jacket wear just as warm with two sweaters underneath?

I would think the simple answer is yes. I often wear a sweater under one of my leather jackets, with no insulated liner, and stay plenty warm. I usually wear leather instead of a peacoat when it rains or snows. The peacoat is plenty water resistant, but I need an excuse to wear some of my leather jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff