Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warmth of Aero linings (for London)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Loungers, would welcome your thoughts. I'm having my Aero Stockman relined and am wondering whether I should have the arms, as well as the body, lined in Alpaca. I've never had an Aero fully lined in Alpaca before. How warm do people find them, especially for a London winter? Or in other countries? Too warm? Nice and snug? Or not warm enough?

Sir J

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I ordered my Aero Bronco A2 double lined. I didn't request anything specific for the inner layer of lining. Just something thin and warm. My ELC A2s are good windbreakers but they not keep you warm at all.

My 50's HBD has heavy drill in the sleeves. It was more than enough with a nice flannel shirt to keep me warm last November/December in FRANCE/UK/SCOTLAND. If you make the jacket too warm on its own, it's less versatile. My 2¢

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
GriffdelaGriff had alpaca lining covered with satin in his sleeves, thread is here.

I would agree with Butte that you would possibly be limiting the opportunities to use the jacket in different climates.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I would agree with Butte that you would possibly be limiting the opportunities to use the jacket in different climates.

It depends on how you wear your jackets and when. I only grab a jacket under 10-15ºC and I like to wear just a t-shirt or shirt under. For me, a good lining is a must. If too cold, I put my B3 on. I have been walking around at -15ºC with only a B3 and a t-shirt. However, with such a weather, I still do need protection for my hands and my ears.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
My only Aero is a LHB lined with alpaca and the sleeves are heavy drill. I find it quite warm. My only issue when wearing it when it gets real cold is that the FQHH gets so damn stiff. I'm plenty warm, but I'm wearing a straight-jacket! It's still a pretty new jacket and needs a lot of breaking in, but it does seem like the thick horsehide "tightens up" in the colder weather.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have both a standard Heavy Horse Highwayman and also a sheep lined version. The fleece is only in the body so the arms are quite free.
My other alternative is:- Buy an old but clean sheepskin jacket, male or female, cut the arms off and throw away, trim back the closure area so the edges almost meet and the hem area to however short you wish. I trimmed mine an inch above the hem line.
An old 1960s style car coat is excellent if you can bear to do that, as it has less panels than many. Thats what I used as this 40 year old coat looked like a 40 year old coat complete with 40 years of wear and worn through cuffs etc.
You may need to perform some minor tailoring , then decide if it needs a form of closure. Nice and warm in winter as my fleece lined Highway is a little tight now.
Johnny T

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
My Cheyenne has Alpaca in the sleeves, thats right.
The jacket is warm in very cold and dry weather if you walk. It is not so warm in wet weather.
I can use it without a sweater in -10 if its dry but I can freeze in it with a jumper at +-0 so for me it really depends on how wet it is.

The Alpaca in the arms makes the arms a little bulky and I couldnt have had it in another jacket with trimmer cut. I am very happy with it in the arms of the Cheyenne but wouldnt use it in a highwayman.

I have satin over and it works very well apart from the end of the sleeve where the satin is almost gone in one arm from the end of the sleeve to the stormcuff. In the other sleeve the satin is "trashed". I am gonna have to cut out the satin from the end of the arm up to the stormcuff. This started very quickly and gradually got worse. I dont blame Aero since I chose this as a nonstandard option, but its something to think about.

It feels like it happened because the Alpaca is kinda thick (i also asked for thicker then usual alpaca) and the satin was put on with kind of a tension from the bulbous Alpaca underneath, wearing and tearing did the rest.

I would suspect a tartan would do alot better. Tartan and satin. Or maybe corduroy. I had a thought about lining an entire jacket in corduroy. The problem is really to get it smooth when slipping on and off - the satin is the problem. If they could get back the green garbadine this would be an outstanding material to use over Alpaca or tartan in the sleeves i would think since its durable and somewhat slick.

Edward

Bartender
In the depths of Winter (usually, give or take a cold snap, end of November through early February) I reach for a B15, B3 or Irvin, with appropriate layering underneath. Most of my Aero leathers have gaberdine or drill cotton type linings, though the Bootlegger I ordered with wool tartan. Those jackets are starting to get worn now. The FQHHs are fine in current London weather (though after dark and late can be chilly), over a shirt (collar and tie; apart from my new Highwayman they're all too neat to wear a sweater with). I'll wear them until maybe May, weather depending, and again from September. As the weather gets warmer, the A2s (standard cotton lining on the ELC, satin/ silk on the Aero, and the Aero AN6552 in satin / rayon) will come out - those are wearable in slightly warmer weather. After that, the Wested Indy (goat, lighter than Aero's goat, no knits) comes out on cooler days through the Summer, and after dark. From early June onwards, though, I'm rarely in leather until September again - and never fqhh. These things are all very individual, but hopefully that gives some insight at least into how the various linings I have work for me in the London climate.

FWIW, the Cheyenne looks to me to be a good option for a heavier lining for the Winter, given its length and boxier cut. I'd never consider something like a shearling lining in a Thrities halfbelt, unless you were getting matching trousers for it, given its cut.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
I have never seen the satin aero use so cant comment on wieght but griff isn't the first person I have seen saying their lining was shot. One option might be this http://www.theliningcompany.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_45&products_id=246 and send a meter or so off to aero to do your sleeves with.

Twill is not as slick as satin but it almost as good for sleeves and this stuff is going to outlast almost any other shiny stuff that you could use as an over lining on top of a warm layer. I lined the sleeves of a barbour wax jacket with a slightly lighter version of this and it made a hell of a difference being able to throw it on rather than having to wrestle my way into it when wearing a fleece or heavy moleskin shirt.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions, chaps. To be more precise, the Stockman came with a full alpaca lining (torso and sleeves). I am, at some expense, sending the Stockman back to have new arms put on because I ordered it with raised armholes: a mistake, as it was just too close to the armpits and felt uncomfortable (moral: think twice before you make alterations to Aero's basic designs -- they are made that way for a reason). So my question was, with the new arms, should I keep them also lined in wool or in cotton (perhaps with a satin overlay, because it makes them so much easier to put on). I didn't wear the Stockman much in its original fom this winter because the weather was so mild. That caused me to wonder whether a full Alpaca lining might just be too warm except for in the very coldest weather.

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions, chaps. To be more precise, the Stockman came with a full alpaca lining (torso and sleeves). I am, at some expense, sending the Stockman back to have new arms put on because I ordered it with raised armholes: a mistake, as it was just too close to the armpits and felt uncomfortable (moral: think twice before you make alterations to Aero's basic designs -- they are made that way for a reason). So my question was, with the new arms, should I keep them also lined in wool or in cotton (perhaps with a satin overlay, because it makes them so much easier to put on). I didn't wear the Stockman much in its original fom this winter because the weather was so mild. That caused me to wonder whether a full Alpaca lining might just be too warm except for in the very coldest weather.

Again..I think you would find that the alcapa lining in the sleeves would wear pretty rapidly..if you wear the coat much. Slipping your arms through the sleeves to take off and on (I think)is certainly a high wear point. Aero's heavy drill material isn't as smooth as satin..but is Aero's most durable. I would also suggest with new sleeves having Aero end the lining at the beginning of cuff. Otherwise a double sided leather 'cuff'. IMO..unless you go with a shearling body lining..or double lining of some sort..an Aero coat will require layering in the coldest of weather. For me..Alcapa with drill sleeve lining is a happy medium..BUT..I don't wear them much above 60 degrees...and layer on the coldest winter days..or most likely wear my shearling.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters