Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warner Bros. Swing Era DVD

Chas

One Too Many
This is incredible; finally somebody at a major North American media concern is taking our musical heritage seriously.

WB has released a 6 dvd box set with 64 short subjects, including the sublime Norman Granz feature "Jamming The Blues".

Already have my copy ordered.

Big Band Jazz & Swing

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
WB seem to be the only ones cracking open the vaults these days, with the Archive Collection (this I can see being one of them). Cheers for the heads up on this one!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Chas said:
WB has released a 6 dvd box set with 64 short subjects, including the sublime Norman Granz feature "Jamming The Blues".

Is this one you linked to the DVD-R set from Warner Archives, or have they also released it in factory-pressed DVD format?

Chas

One Too Many
Dunno. I'm thinking it must be from the Warner Archives - the item descrip. stats "this jaw-dropping assemblage from the Warner Bros.’ vault ", so I'm thinking somebody at WB is getting enough oxygen to their brains.

Let's hope it marks the beginning of a trend.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Chas said:
Dunno. I'm thinking it must be from the Warner Archives - the item descrip. stats "this jaw-dropping assemblage from the Warner Bros.’ vault ", so I'm thinking somebody at WB is getting enough oxygen to their brains.

Let's hope it marks the beginning of a trend.

I was hoping they'd sold enough of the DVD-R's to press a straight DVD set, since they tend not to do very much, if any, restorative work on the titles they release on DVD-R via the Archives. They just look for the best existing print, and master from that.

But in any case, it looks like a set worth having.

Chas

One Too Many
Mine just came in the mail today. The quality looks pretty good, but I got a vision of what hell would be like for me (if there was such a thing, which there isn't) with a harmonica orchestra.:eek:

It's really just a sampler, at the end of the day- Artie Shaw made three soundies that I know of- but only one is on the set; Bob Wills made quite a few- I know because I lost a battle on Ebay over 5 reels of Bob Wills. I still think about that; years ago, and I still wish I knew what was on those.

The Jan Savitt soundie was a huge disappointment. Too schmaltzy, and I was hoping to see George "Bon Bon" Tunnell. That, and the bit with the acrobats was odd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters