Warning: cigar lovers...

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by panamag8or, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panamag8or

panamag8or Practically Family

Get 'em while you can.

2. Political Correctness - The (smoke-free) Kiss Of Death

A decade ago there were many wonderful little old cigar shops. One near where I was working in Santa Monica had terrazzo floors - who does terrazzo anymore? Then "Meathead" Rob Reiner's tobacco tax bill killed most of 'em off. As I recall it was, y'know, for the kids. And he claimed "...I dint know it'd tax cigars, too?!..." Just a few years ago there was a nice lounge in Toluca Lake/Burbank (a guy named Ceasar), very cozy, FL'ers mighta felt right at home in the club chairs, the former Money Tree bar next door, but, no, more local goody good taxes were levied on baaad baaad tobacco, and, like Magic! the bad cigar store went away...

There have been several boutique-esque attempts at renting the storefront, none lasting near as long as the cigar lounge, which is now vacant again.

Smoking BAAD! Smokers BAAAAD!!

3. Dr. Shocker

Dr. Shocker One of the Regulars

remember its all for the good of the kids whether you have em or not your gonna pay for em......this just chaps my hide 20,000% increase but because its smoking related most people will be ok with it........I am off to enjoy a drink and cigar and try to remember when the goverment wasn't trying to kill America

4. These people are nuts. All I know is that I won't pay a single cent either way.
    I get mine from reservations. Tax free all the time. :p

Regards,

J

5. Don't let any tax-collectors see that, Mr. Powers...

(Guys have been busted for their brags on the Net before.)

6. Perfectly legal as well. I love the Senneca Nation. :D

Regards,

J

7. RedPop4

RedPop4 One Too Many

I mentioned this on the new Out of the Humidor thread earlier today.

8. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne My Mail is Forwarded Here

hmm, might have to go out & buy a couple of boxes next week...

9. LocktownDog

LocktownDog Call Me a Cab

Same here. Surrounded by reservation land. Can't get my favored pipe tobaccos at the smokeshops there, but cigars are another matter altogether. I'm far less picky about them. Got a case of White Owls for my father (they're what he's been smoking for 40+ years) for a total of $16 last week.

Richard

10. Exactly. Where can you get a better deal?
    If you can't get it at your local reservation, you can always have it sent from another one. The shipping alone is less than the taxes they try to suck out of you. :rage:

Regards,

J

11. Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty My Mail is Forwarded Here

Well, that preposterious.

I was one of those people who went out and got signatures for that bill. I was one of the people who researched it, and joined the campaign for this taxation on cigarettes in order to support the Children's Health Initiative here in California, and no one ever spoke or wrote of something so ridiculous as this HUGE taxation on cigars.

It's incredibly disturbing how the volunteering that I spent four years on can be washed away so easily by an additive to the bill that I never saw in four years of working on this. :rage:

I don't smoke, but can guarantee you that I didn't spend hundreds of hours on this campaign for this taxation. Does this apply to ALL cigars? How do foreign imports fare?

My apologies to you.

Vintage Betty

12. luvthatlulu

luvthatlulu Suspended

This is another classic example of otherwise well-intentioned people getting snookered by over-reaching zealots. And, unfortunately, apologizing now for going along is tantamount to "Sorry, I didn't know the gun was loaded."

We would all do well to remember that zealotry is the natural enemy of rational thought. And that standing by idly and unconcerned while someone else's rights or privileges are trampled on and revoked only encourages others to begin seeking the same fate for ours.

13. RedPop4

RedPop4 One Too Many

Betty, they knocked that cigar tax down to $3 maximum. But on many cigars, that's still a significant amount of money to pay.

The other insidious little thing they wanted to pass was to create an inventory tax. I lost a good friend in October, my own age (41) who owned a shop in St. Mary's Georgia (it was his dream when he relocated there from Katrina.) He was going to blow out all his cigars for pennies on the dollar and enter January 2008 with NO inventory.

They were going to require tobacconists to pay this tax as a lump sum on every cigar in stock. It would have bankrupted almost all tobacconists. :mad: :mad:

14. Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty My Mail is Forwarded Here

Apology withdrawn.

VB

15. Dr. Shocker

Dr. Shocker One of the Regulars

its hard to work on a project that may or may not end in doing right or going so far as to remove the rights of the citizens. I respect anyone who gets involved whether I agree or not at least you are doing something but I always suggest looking at who is running the project to see how far they are willing to go......

16. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Thread Closed

This thread has gotten personal and nasty, something we don't allow here on the Lounge. Make nice and move along.

Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.