Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was Able To Visit Both Stetson Outlets In One Trip

MJL

One of the Regulars
Well, we are headed back to Florida after digging petrified wood in Arizona and fossils along the Nevada/ Utah border. We stepped in to the Stetson factory outlet store in St Joseph, Missouri on 15 July 2023. A few years back I was able to buy Stetson Temple and Stratoliners for $75 or less. These were old stock that were just fine in my eyes. Well, this year there were some hats marked promotional, no obvious model numbers and each one had unique, observable flaws. If I had to guess I would suggest these appear to be apprentice made hats. There were some similar promotional open road hats but with the same difficulties. I looked hard at an open road but the crease in the brim and weird burgundy like color had me walking out without it. I was in and out sans hats in less than half an hour. To consol me we decided to take lunch at Arthur Bryant's but the damned line was out the door. Instead, I randomly selected Hi-Lo burgers in Independence for lunch and was very happy to have done so. This is the second year in a row when I've picked zero hat bargains up from HATCO. Oh, and I thought that I'd mention that the St Jo store used to have a walk in warehouse area where the real bargains were located. This year that warehouse area was walled off and inaccessible to the public. I continue to worry about the future of the St Jo facility. From a massive factory complex to a increasingly small retail outlet.

Timeras1

New in Town
I'll provide my own answer to this question. We arrived at the outlet, in Garland, TX, soon after opening. No sale on fur felt fedoras. Stock on the floor, in my sizes, 7 5/8-7 3/4, was limited and in poor shape. Most looked like practice pieces with visible and obvious flaws. The only thing that caught my eye were some "promo" Stetson Open Road that all seemed flawed, shop worn and dirty. At $129 I passed as I have a nice Open Road from an earlier visit a few years back. I walked out, hatless, with money in pocket less than 20 minutes after arrival. I even checked out the straws and cowboy hats but found nothing that inspired a purchase. I acknowledge that this is a factory outlet selling flawed merchandise but THIS is a first for me; not a single thing found to spend my money on. We left and headed to Specs liqours to pick up some Mezcal that cannot be found in Florida. After, we went to lunch at Lockhart BBQ which we drove to via the JFK assassination site in Dealley Plaza. In the end, the $700-$1000 that I have spent yearly at the HATCO outlet will be spent on booze, guns or other delights. Perhaps, if it is convenient, we will travel east via St Jo and give the Stetson outlet there a shot.
Yeah MJL, I know how you feel... I was thru there almost a year ago and saw pretty much the same things... I did pick up 2 Strats, but I would call them seconds... they did, however do a bang-up job cleaning and blocking for me... I guess the days of discovering gems at the outlet are over:(

Well, we are headed back to Florida after digging petrified wood in Arizona and fossils along the Nevada/ Utah border. We stepped in to the Stetson factory outlet store in St Joseph, Missouri on 15 July 2023. A few years back I was able to buy Stetson Temple and Stratoliners for $75 or less. These were old stock that were just fine in my eyes. Well, this year there were some hats marked promotional, no obvious model numbers and each one had unique, observable flaws. If I had to guess I would suggest these appear to be apprentice made hats. There were some similar promotional open road hats but with the same difficulties. I looked hard at an open road but the crease in the brim and weird burgundy like color had me walking out without it. I was in and out sans hats in less than half an hour. To consol me we decided to take lunch at Arthur Bryant's but the damned line was out the door. Instead, I randomly selected Hi-Lo burgers in Independence for lunch and was very happy to have done so. This is the second year in a row when I've picked zero hat bargains up from HATCO. Oh, and I thought that I'd mention that the St Jo store used to have a walk in warehouse area where the real bargains were located. This year that warehouse area was walled off and inaccessible to the public. I continue to worry about the future of the St Jo facility. From a massive factory complex to a increasingly small retail outlet.
I live only 40-50 miles from St. Joe. I’m not sure if HatCo still owns the bldg or if it is now owned by a trucking company & HatCo leases their little corner. As you probably know the rest of the bldg, what used to be the Stetson factory & offices are now occupied by a motor freight company. Not long ago the door into the Outlet’s small back room warehouse area was removed & walled off. The longtime Stetson employee who was the local manager retired & a new young one was hired off the street to run the store.

The Outlet has always made its money from all the over the road truckers who stop on the side of the interstate & buy straw Western hats. They either buy & sell or take orders from their friends as I have seen them buy 20-25 straws at a time.

I believe the “promotional“ hats are Frankenstein parts hats made up from left over parts. You can find those on ebay out of Garland as well.

And they still have belts & bling to sell from the days when Montana Silversmith was owned by HatCo.

MJL

One of the Regulars
20230713_120930.jpg

MJL

One of the Regulars
I was not able to add any nice fedora this summer which has us rethinking our summer 2024 routes out west. We have for many years arranged our summer travels west to allow us to hit at least one of the HATCO outlet facilities. Now, we are reexaming that plan. Perhaps more on that later. The above photo shows me wearing on old, battered straw Stetson that I only wear out west. Next to baseball caps this is the only hat that I wore this summer. The photo shows me cracking open rocks, looking for fossils. It was brutally hot, extreme low humidity and 6600+ feet in altitude that added up to a tough, dirty but awesome day!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I was not able to add any nice fedora this summer which has us rethinking our summer 2024 routes out west. We have for many years arranged our summer travels west to allow us to hit at least one of the HATCO outlet facilities. Now, we are reexaming that plan. Perhaps more on that later. The above photo shows me wearing on old, battered straw Stetson that I only wear out west. Next to baseball caps this is the only hat that I wore this summer. The photo shows me cracking open rocks, looking for fossils. It was brutally hot, extreme low humidity and 6600+ feet in altitude that added up to a tough, dirty but awesome day!
Sad to hear the St Jo outlet stock is so low. I am one of the truckers who stops in there every chance I get. The truck stops are a 15 minute walk. I’ve literally driven in and parked, hurried down to Stetson and bought a new hat and driven away 40 minutes later. Sometimes the stock has been bad but the last time I was in there (in July last year, I believe) the floor was more full of hats than I’ve ever seen it. It took me two hours to browse it all.

Too bad that wasn’t your experience; there were many many customers in the store that day so I’m not surprised if the stock went quickly.

There is also a booth in the antiques mall across the street that has always had vintage lids for a competitive price. There have been times when I’ve walked away with a vintage Stetson from that booth and a modern Stetson from the outlet store.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
That Is probably about the time they gave up the lease on the back warehouse room & had emptied it out so the door could be removed & walled off.
That makes sense. Disappointing to hear, I took the robust stock as a sign that Stetson was really cranking out the hats these days and had a lot of spill over to get rid of (that probably shows how much I know about how outlet stores work).

Indeed, the back warehouse was no longer open to the public, although I didn't realize it had been walled off.

Reactions: MJL
That makes sense. Disappointing to hear, I took the robust stock as a sign that Stetson was really cranking out the hats these days and had a lot of spill over to get rid of (that probably shows how much I know about how outlet stores work).

Indeed, the back warehouse was no longer open to the public, although I didn't realize it had been walled off.
Hard to tell visually but I think they might have moved the wall in 3-4 ft. My thought was that they were probably going to take down the round work station with the steamer in the center, to make more room. The last time I stopped there was on Good Friday this Spring but a sign on the door said they were closed to the public because their computers were down. As all the older Stetson employees who were offered jobs in the Outlet from the plant retired, they took their yrs of experience & knowledge with them.

I remember when Stetson had their auction most of the equipment had been shipped to Garland. There were some hat flippers in attendance looking to buy at auction & make a killing, but by far it was the neon & signage, & advertising ephemeral that brought the most activity among bidders.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Hard to tell visually but I think they might have moved the wall in 3-4 ft. My thought was that they were probably going to take down the round work station with the steamer in the center, to make more room. The last time I stopped there was on Good Friday this Spring but a sign on the door said they were closed to the public because their computers were down. As all the older Stetson employees who were offered jobs in the Outlet from the plant retired, they took their yrs of experience & knowledge with them.

I remember when Stetson had their auction most of the equipment had been shipped to Garland. There were some hat flippers in attendance looking to buy at auction & make a killing, but by far it was the neon & signage, & advertising ephemeral that brought the most activity among bidders.
Wow, a bitter sweet day that must have been, seeing all that being auctioned. When exactly was that?

The young lady who served me last year was impressively knowledgeable. I felt she had been given a good foundation in hats in general as well as Stetson specifically.

Reactions: MJL
Wow, a bitter sweet day that must have been, seeing all that being auctioned. When exactly was that?

The young lady who served me last year was impressively knowledgeable. I felt she had been given a good foundation in hats in general as well as Stetson specifically.
The plant closed in the early 2000’s, not long after TWA went bankrupt & TWA assets were purchased by American Airlines In 2001. Stetson amounted to 400 employees or so. Lots of TWA employees were vested & could start to draw their pensions but the amount was greatly reduced & they were too young to draw social security. Until it all sorted itself out over time, flippers thought they could make ends meet by buying at auctions & flipping on eBay. That rarely works out for long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo