Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was Roughwear The Original Manufacturer Of The Iconic Hercules Jacket?

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Add another wrinkle to the Herc mystery. The catalog jackets has no inside full facing. The inside leather strip only at the very top 1/3 of the jacket. What does the lining look like on your vintages?

Lining done like the catalog photo:
View attachment 495371

Most repro lining has the modern full inside strip:
View attachment 495372
Add another wrinkle to the Herc mystery. The catalog jackets has no inside full facing. The inside leather strip only at the very top 1/3 of the jacket. What does the lining look like on your vintages?

Lining done like the catalog photo:
View attachment 495371

Most repro lining has the modern full inside strip:
View attachment 495372
My Good Wear Hercules looks just like your first picture.
CAC50DAD-3FD3-457D-A1CB-217427C84545.jpeg

here's where things get tricky...
Grommet zipper, but with chest pocket (straight chain), and plaid lining...
Also, look at the different cuffs.
Different maker?
This is a 1940 or 1941 jacket:
Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 11.37.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 11.38.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 11.40.47 AM.png

VS. 1938 or 1939 jacket with loop chain chest zip.
Hercules-034.jpg
Hercules-021.jpg

Last edited:
@tmitchell59 , the one you posted is a real unicorn: 1942 liner with chain loop chest pocket (38/39) ,an older main zipper pull, and 1938/39 cuffs.. If the zips aren’t replacements it just shows how crazy things must have been once these jacketmakers ramped up their military production while still trying to fill catalog orders. Or, maybe in 1942 Sears went back to the 1939 producer after 1940/41.

Last edited:

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Yes that’s the ‘42, I have access to all the Sears catalogs on Ancestry and searched through them for Hercules half belts, the result was I found them in the ‘35-‘42 Fall/Winter catalogs and then I added dates to the images for reference.

Here’s ‘39-‘41:

View attachment 495236
Price is missing on my ‘39 screenshot, I removed it while toying with the image.
View attachment 495237
View attachment 495238

Here’s one of the double-breasted Hercs listed above, as far as I can tell as there are no tags shown:

View attachment 495239
View attachment 495240
View attachment 495241
View attachment 495242
These Catalogs are excellent.
So, @Claybertrand ’s jacket doesn’t line up with the Sears catalogs…blue Melton liner with cord collar…but with chest pocket…if it is a Roughwear, that would really be the missing link.
Sorry for not seeing this thread activity sooner---

OK as if we needed to twist this up even further, be advised that my jacket was handled and had some level of repair done by the Ralph Lauren Vintage curators at their store in San Francisco (I believe it was the SF store not NY) before it was purchased there by the guy I bought it from. SO almost heartbreakingly, the main zipper was replaced with a YKK. Now I am a tad leary of using main zippers to definitively date jackets because they are the most used "mechanical" part of the jacket and thus most prone to failure so they are often replaced and can be misleading. I do understand that with limited evidence to date these old garments, we have to do the best with what we have but we need to remain cognizant that the main zipper cannot be relied upon as the end all be all evidence to nail down a date.

Further complicating matters is the stated lack of a Chin Strap---and the pocket zipper is an Old Small Conmar. I don't know if it is a replacement or original. If it is a replacement---it was likely done previous to the Ralph Lauren people working on it or else it may well have been replaced with a YKK as well (though this is not definitive evidence--just a hunch). Here is the pocket zip:

1678133987663.png

From what I can tell, the Ralph Lauren tailoring is minimal to keep items in as close to AS IS VINTAGE condition as possible so they would only be repairing/replacing truly damaged parts.

jeo

One Too Many
here's where things get tricky...
Grommet zipper, but with chest pocket (straight chain), and plaid lining...
Also, look at the different cuffs.
Different maker?
This is a 1940 or 1941 jacket:
View attachment 495444
View attachment 495445
View attachment 495446

VS. 1938 or 1939 jacket with loop chain chest zip.
View attachment 495447
View attachment 495451

Let me add to the confusion.

Grommet zipper, no chest pocket, with the supposed later ‘horse head’ label and wool liner.

Note the slightly rounder chin strap I usually associate with the earlier models.

1CBD5DB2-C502-42FB-94F7-009096AEB9DB.jpeg

794EF6A0-39E2-4534-8E9D-3FD4B553B1E6.jpeg
6889DB9E-0FB7-49A6-B6B8-15D5D91F31E2.jpeg

CAB69D43-A33C-4D85-9677-A6FFFEBCCD2A.jpeg

There were undoubtedly multiple makers of this jacket. Collar shape, cuff design/shape, liners and pocket angles changed from maker to maker.

jeo

One Too Many
That's what I always thought too but then I saw tmitchell59 's post earlier in the thread where he declared the 'giant hercules' label as being older and the 'horse head' label as being later. That's why I said "supposed".

Anyway to confirm that?

Claybertrand

One Too Many
That's what I always thought too but then I saw tmitchell59 's post earlier in the thread where he declared the 'giant hercules' label as being older and the 'horse head' label as being later. That's why I said "supposed".

Anyway to confirm that?
Good question. This is assuming they used only one label in any given era. I always understood the "giant hercules" was the older label. But I have no factual reason to hold this belief.

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
Good question. This is assuming they used only one label in any given era. I always understood the "giant hercules" was the older label. But I have no factual reason to hold this belief.
Great point. Now the question becomes is it at all possible that different labels were used by different manufacturers for jackets that were being produced in the same year?

I'm assuming that Sears didn't make the labels either but is it safe to assume that Sears would send labels to manufacturers to put in jackets? If so, would it make more sense that jackets being produced in the same year but by different makers should have the same labels?

Last edited:

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Great point. Now the question becomes is it at all possible that different labels were used by different manufacturers for jackets that were being produced in the same year?
Or even different labels by THE SAME manufacturer within the same year?? One would THINK they used one label at a time because things were simpler back then but who knows?

Reactions: jeo

Grommet zipper, no chest pocket, with the supposed later ‘horse head’ label and wool liner.

Note the slightly rounder chin strap I usually associate with the earlier models.

View attachment 495492
View attachment 495493 View attachment 495494
View attachment 495495

There were undoubtedly multiple makers of this jacket. Collar shape, cuff design/shape, liners and pocket angles changed from maker to maker.
With this blue lining and no pocket, it’s 1936 or ‘37

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 495492
View attachment 495493 View attachment 495494
View attachment 495495

Yes, this remains early but this pull is a transition from the clam shell, you do see this pull on a grommet set up, but not the first use, I do believe the Giant label does predate the Horsehead label. This jacket demonstrates the quick evolution, the label and zipper change in short time. This particular zipper setup is soon changed to a sunrise zipper box.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
ALERT: More mud for my water!

Anyway to confirm that?

Yes, I just confirmed I was incorrect. I went back and found this Hercules Barnstormer with a Horsehead label dated from 1933.

Date with this in mind.

1678169019825.jpeg
1678169041698.jpeg
1678169151551.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana