Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Washing a jacket, flooding a utility room, and other mishaps.

BloodEagle

One of the Regulars
Hey all - I thought I'd document my experience washing a particularly objectionable leather jacket, if not for anyone else, at least for me. Last week I got an old Perfecto and it was in a real state - lining gone in a few places, holes in the pockets, zips gone etc etc. All fixable, if not to a professional standard, at least to an acceptable standard, by me. However, on top of this it smelt - a lot according to my wife - and when a lady says an item of clothing smells, what can a man to do but try washing it, in the bath, as per a few threads I quickly researched on this forum. I had some free time yesterday/today, and heres the result after a 5 mintue soak and some mild agitation -

PXL_20220628_091233200.jpg

Nice. Whatever was turning that water brown stank like you cannot believe - I had unleashed something truly ungodly, but persevered and evenutally drained the now clear(ish)water from the bathtub after a few water cycles/rinses. Oh yeah - at this point heard I my wife yelling at the top of her voice - this is an alarming sound even when you expect it., and it turned out that I had somehow knocked the waste pipe from the joint under the bath and the absolutely reeking water was going directly onto the floor and through a hole (dont ask) into the utility room below. What happened next is too much to go into, but it wasnt conducive to a happy marital relationship. Anwyay, all that done I transferred it to the washing machine for a gentle rinse and spin cycle, just to be extra sure the funkiness had gone. Im pretty sure during the spin cycle some more finish came off it at high wear points - is this a mishap or a happy accident when something is so battered looking anyway? I dont know, it happened though. Anyway, I then got it, still at this stage pretty heavy and wet, out and laid it on the floor on a warm but not hot patio - photo for reference -

PXL_20220628_115119092.jpg

So i then left it for a few hours, periodically putting it on, moving around in it, doing some arm bends and generally acting like a lunatic in the eyes of my already not entirely impressed wife. Fast forward to this evening, where it is basically dry and no longer smelly and/or brownish and greasy - here is a shot/Schott -

PXL_20220628_163840595~2.jpg

And in the interest of completeness here's another shot of me wearing it, trying not to wonder if it was all worth it, and thinking how I can calm an particularly angry lady I know down.

PXL_20220628_162240401.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all - I thought I'd document my experience washing a particularly objectionable leather jacket, if not for anyone else, at least for me. Last week I got an old Perfecto and it was in a real state - lining gone in a few places, holes in the pockets, zips gone etc etc. All fixable, if not to a professional standard, at least to an acceptable standard, by me. However, on top of this it smelt - a lot according to my wife - and when a lady says an item of clothing smells, what can a man to do but try washing it, in the bath, as per a few threads I quickly researched on this forum. I had some free time yesterday/today, and heres the result after a 5 mintue soak and some mild agitation -

View attachment 435547

Nice. Whatever was turning that water brown stank like you cannot believe - I had unleashed something truly ungodly but I persevered and evenutally drained the now clear(ish)water from the bathtub after a few water cycles/rinses. Oh yeah - at this point heard my wife yelling at the top of her voice - this is an alarming sound even when you expect it., and it turned out that I had somehow knocked the waste pipe from the joint under the bath and the absolutely reeking water was going directly onto the floor and through a hole (dont ask) into the utility room below. What happened next is too much to go into, but it wasnt conducive to a happy marital relationship. Anwyay, all that done I transfered it to the washing machine for a gentle rinse and spin cycle, just to be extra sure the funkiness had gone. Im pretty sure during the spin cycle some more finish came off it high wear point - is this a mishap or a happy accident when something so battered looking anyway? I dont know, it happened though. Anyway, I then got it, still at this stage pretty heavy and wet, out and laid it on the floor on a warm but not hot patio - photo for reference -

View attachment 435548

So i then left it for a few hours, periodically putting it on, moving around in it, doing some arm bends and generally acting like a lunatic in the eyes of my already not entirely impressed wife. Fast forward to this evening, where it is basically dry and no longer smelly and/or brownish and greasy - here is a shot -

View attachment 435550

And in the interests of completeness heres another shot of me wearing it and trying not to wonder if it was all worth it haha.

View attachment 435549
Oh man the end result should be the top google hit for “cool leather jacket”! Those sleeves!!!!!

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many

View attachment 435547

Nice. Whatever was turning that water brown stank like you cannot believe - I had unleashed something truly ungodly but I persevered and evenutally drained the now clear(ish)water from the bathtub after a few water cycles/rinses. Oh yeah - at this point heard my wife yelling at the top of her voice - this is an alarming sound even when you expect it., and it turned out that I had somehow knocked the waste pipe from the joint under the bath and the absolutely reeking water was going directly onto the floor and through a hole (dont ask) into the utility room below. What happened next is too much to go into, but it wasnt conducive to a happy marital relationship. Anwyay, all that done I transfered it to the washing machine for a gentle rinse and spin cycle, just to be extra sure the funkiness had gone. Im pretty sure during the spin cycle some more finish came off it high wear point - is this a mishap or a happy accident when something so battered looking anyway? I dont know, it happened though. Anyway, I then got it, still at this stage pretty heavy and wet, out and laid it on the floor on a warm but not hot patio - photo for reference -

View attachment 435548

So i then left it for a few hours, periodically putting it on, moving around in it, doing some arm bends and generally acting like a lunatic in the eyes of my already not entirely impressed wife. Fast forward to this evening, where it is basically dry and no longer smelly and/or brownish and greasy - here is a shot -

View attachment 435550

And in the interest's of completeness here's another shot of me wearing it, trying not to wonder if it was all worth it, and thinking how I can calm an particularly angry specific lady down.

View attachment 435549
Great outcome. Those wear patterns and patina resembles that of my Schott carcoat.

Perfectly correct washing procedure by any account - Sans knocking the waste pipe out of course. Just soaking the jacket is something I'm not a fan of because it never feels like any dirt actually gets kicked out so washing machine was a good call.
And also, putting the jacket on during whilst it's getting dry is crucial as just leaving it lying down the whole time will have it locked in as you left it. Once dry, leather will always feel a bit stiffer until you re-brake it in again & there's much less chance for cracking if you keep "reminding" it periodically of where its creases are.

Another thing; I've seen countless Schott Perfectos but ones that fade like this are very, very rare. They're either dyed all the way through or the finish is so substantial that instead of fading, there's only suede where it flaked off so you're truly lucky to have landed this particular jacket. Looking at the last two pics is a joy.

BloodEagle

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the kind words - I was a bit nervous about shrinkage etc going into it, but it seems as long as you do a cold wash and exercise caution when drying it's all good.

I am pleased with how it turned out, and as a timely postscript to my story, what should arrive in the post today but these..

PXL_20220629_115551682.jpg

...replacement stars, sent from Schott NYC to the UK in an incredibly short space of time ( I think I emailed them last Friday!) No charge altough I did of offer - I cannot praise them enough for how nice of them this was. And here's a final picture of it with its new stars freshly installed in the exact same space/holes that the old ones were - no adjustments necessary!

PXL_20220629_121330475~2.jpg

Will Zach

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 435547

Nice. Whatever was turning that water brown stank like you cannot believe - I had unleashed something truly ungodly, but persevered and evenutally drained the now clear(ish)water from the bathtub after a few water cycles/rinses. Oh yeah - at this point heard I my wife yelling at the top of her voice - this is an alarming sound even when you expect it., and it turned out that I had somehow knocked the waste pipe from the joint under the bath and the absolutely reeking water was going directly onto the floor and through a hole (dont ask) into the utility room below. What happened next is too much to go into, but it wasnt conducive to a happy marital relationship. Anwyay, all that done I transferred it to the washing machine for a gentle rinse and spin cycle, just to be extra sure the funkiness had gone. Im pretty sure during the spin cycle some more finish came off it at high wear points - is this a mishap or a happy accident when something is so battered looking anyway? I dont know, it happened though. Anyway, I then got it, still at this stage pretty heavy and wet, out and laid it on the floor on a warm but not hot patio - photo for reference -

View attachment 435548

So i then left it for a few hours, periodically putting it on, moving around in it, doing some arm bends and generally acting like a lunatic in the eyes of my already not entirely impressed wife. Fast forward to this evening, where it is basically dry and no longer smelly and/or brownish and greasy - here is a shot/Schott -

View attachment 435550

And in the interest of completeness here's another shot of me wearing it, trying not to wonder if it was all worth it, and thinking how I can calm an particularly angry lady I know down.

View attachment 435549
Great work and great jacket. We've all been there. Our wives basically look at us as little boys doing little boys' things. Which we are (and do). Take her out (but wear a better jacket - in her view, of course).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysfit