Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing felt?????????

maisie

Practically Family
I have a suit, more of a summer light weight suit, it is grey with green felt and green and purple embroidered wool (i think??) flowers, but the only thing is it STINKS of sweat!! So i don't know, because of the felt and colours, to have it dry cleaned but i don't know if the smell will come out or just to carefully wash it in water instead. Has anyone ever washed anything with felt on it before??[huh]

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hi Maisie, the only thing that springs to my mind is that the felt may not be as colourfast as the main body of the suit, especially if the felt accents and embroidery are bright colours.
I would take it to the dry cleaners and if it doesn't take out the smell I would just carefully spot clean the key problem areas.
Sounds a bit tricky!

maisie

Practically Family
I was worries about the colour running as well as not knowing what felt goes like when its wet! I think it might just be safer to have it dry cleaned and see what it turns out like, as its present odor it isn't very pleasent to be near, let alone wear it!!:eek:

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I have recently been recommended a good theatrical cleaner in London Shepherd's Bush that I am about to try out with a 50's cocktail dress. He does a lot of work for the BBC's costume department and has very reasonable rates so if you do find yourself at a loss I can PM you his number if you like!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff