Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Chains

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got this in an antique store up in Maine while on spring break.
What do all of you out there keep your watch on?

IMG_5921.jpg

IMG_5922.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

IMG_6487.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Cool, Dinerman!

I just bought one this week. Don't have pics of it yet. It is like yours but with a key hanging from it. Wearing it tomorrow. :D

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Very nice!

Nice gold chain. Very classy. Would look nice with 3 piece or just vest.

I’ve been carrying a pocket watch (and fedoras) daily for 40+ years. Never owned a wristwatch (or cell phone with clock).

I carry my pocket watch on an 8" Sterling Silver watch chain I bought 30+ years ago in a pawn shop. It drapes perfectly from pants watch pocket to belt loop. Not too flashy or too vintage costumey, just dressed, like with a hat. The only trick is to buy pants with watch pocket. That “change” pocket on Levis 501s is for a watch!

I have a dozen or so 16 size Hamilton, Waltham and Illinois 21+ jewel Rail Road pocket watches in stainless steel, white gold filled and base metal cases. I change them out about like you do hats, but the same watch chain seems to fit them all nicely.

I love it when guys tell me about their Super Duper Atomic Watches that reset themselves EVERY morning. If they’re so accurate how come it has to reset?? Pocket watch just tells the time, to within 10 seconds, IF I remember to wind it.

Enjoy your watches and chains.
Fredthecat

Highlander

A-List Customer
Here are a few of my pocket watches, including my Dad's Railroad watch. An Elgin B.W. Raymond 21 Jewel watch that is wonderful. Watch chains and Masonic Gold Fobs attached.
Pocketwatches-vi.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Where?

Gents. Where on earth can I source myself one of these (I do like the double to be honest)..? I have a 1904 rose gold fob (pics later), but need a nice chain to go with it.

I'll even go for a good repro gold plated if I have to [huh]

Any advice/suggestions would be gratefully received as always ;) Thanks in advance!!

Feraud

Bartender
Ebay has a lot of pocket watch chains. Check the completed auctions and see what the price range is for the different styles. Do not rush and pay a lot of money for the first chain that catches your eye. There is a lot of product that makes its way through the site.
Skip the modern repros. They are badly made and the you can get a beautiful original at an affordable price.
When looking at chains try to take note of damaged links, fobs, t-bars, and replaced sections.

You can browse this thread for styles and examples of pocket watch chains.

chucklehead

A-List Customer
how were gold pieces attached to watch chains?

I'm going to start making my own watch chains and I just wondered; how were gold pieces attached to watch chains? [huh]

here are a few pics i pulled of ebay & the net.

it looks like drilling a hole and using a coin bezel are both legit options.

5f62_1.JPG

35ba_1.JPG

Chain-WatchFaceup.jpg

hair_fob_watch_chain.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I would think the bezel would be the way to go. In this day and age you sure don't want to go drilling holes in gold coins (unless they're "simulated" gold coins). But I'm no expert.

Feraud

Bartender
The two options you noted are legit.
I have observed coins attached to chains in any way possible. There seems to be no set rule.
Btw, I have seen fobs made of coins alone. Four holes (two on top and two on the bottom) holes drilled in 8-10 coins and attached end to end. The watch was attached to one end and draped in a pocket.

Keep us updated on your progress. I would like to see what you come up with.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Btw, I have seen fobs made of coins alone. Four holes (two on top and two on the bottom) holes drilled in 8-10 coins and attached end to end. The watch was attached to one end and draped in a pocket.

Well, that's one way to let all the boys know you died standing pat.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The middle two examples you gave (is that Tzar Nicholas?) look like a ring has been soldered directly on to the coin. I think that might be better than a bezel, because you'll keep the milling around the edges of the coin visible, making it look more like a coin hanging off your chain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk