Watch Chains

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Dinerman, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

I got this in an antique store up in Maine while on spring break.
    What do all of you out there keep your watch on?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

Cool, Dinerman!

I just bought one this week. Don't have pics of it yet. It is like yours but with a key hanging from it. Wearing it tomorrow. :D

3. anon`

anon` One Too Many

Wow, impressive! I have a pocketwatch, but rarely wear it on account of not having a decent waistcoat for one, and again for not being able to find (or sometimes afford) a chain like that!

4. Fredthecat

Fredthecat One of the Regulars

Very nice!

Nice gold chain. Very classy. Would look nice with 3 piece or just vest.

I’ve been carrying a pocket watch (and fedoras) daily for 40+ years. Never owned a wristwatch (or cell phone with clock).

I carry my pocket watch on an 8" Sterling Silver watch chain I bought 30+ years ago in a pawn shop. It drapes perfectly from pants watch pocket to belt loop. Not too flashy or too vintage costumey, just dressed, like with a hat. The only trick is to buy pants with watch pocket. That “change” pocket on Levis 501s is for a watch!

I have a dozen or so 16 size Hamilton, Waltham and Illinois 21+ jewel Rail Road pocket watches in stainless steel, white gold filled and base metal cases. I change them out about like you do hats, but the same watch chain seems to fit them all nicely.

I love it when guys tell me about their Super Duper Atomic Watches that reset themselves EVERY morning. If they’re so accurate how come it has to reset?? Pocket watch just tells the time, to within 10 seconds, IF I remember to wind it.

Enjoy your watches and chains.
    Fredthecat

5. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

Very classy double-ended chain! Now you need a gold cigar cutter for the other end of the chain in the other vest pocket...

6. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I posted a few chains here.

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike A-List Customer

Art deco fob, bakelite (!) and silver.

[​IMG]

8. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike A-List Customer

...or leather strap, like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

Here we are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Highlander

Highlander A-List Customer

Here are a few of my pocket watches, including my Dad's Railroad watch. An Elgin B.W. Raymond 21 Jewel watch that is wonderful. Watch chains and Masonic Gold Fobs attached. [​IMG]

11. Marty M.

Marty M. Vendor

Great looking chain Thunder. I really like the key.
    Marty Mathis

12. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Where?

Gents. Where on earth can I source myself one of these (I do like the double to be honest)..? I have a 1904 rose gold fob (pics later), but need a nice chain to go with it.

I'll even go for a good repro gold plated if I have to [huh]

Any advice/suggestions would be gratefully received as always ;) Thanks in advance!!

13. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Ebay has a lot of pocket watch chains. Check the completed auctions and see what the price range is for the different styles. Do not rush and pay a lot of money for the first chain that catches your eye. There is a lot of product that makes its way through the site.
    Skip the modern repros. They are badly made and the you can get a beautiful original at an affordable price.
    When looking at chains try to take note of damaged links, fobs, t-bars, and replaced sections.

You can browse this thread for styles and examples of pocket watch chains.

14. chucklehead

chucklehead A-List Customer

how were gold pieces attached to watch chains?

I'm going to start making my own watch chains and I just wondered; how were gold pieces attached to watch chains? [huh]

here are a few pics i pulled of ebay & the net.

it looks like drilling a hole and using a coin bezel are both legit options.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

I would think the bezel would be the way to go. In this day and age you sure don't want to go drilling holes in gold coins (unless they're "simulated" gold coins). But I'm no expert.

16. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

The two options you noted are legit.
    I have observed coins attached to chains in any way possible. There seems to be no set rule.
    Btw, I have seen fobs made of coins alone. Four holes (two on top and two on the bottom) holes drilled in 8-10 coins and attached end to end. The watch was attached to one end and draped in a pocket.

Keep us updated on your progress. I would like to see what you come up with.

17. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

Well, that's one way to let all the boys know you died standing pat.

18. chucklehead

that was were my inspiration to look into watch chains came from. :D :D :D
    (thank you whoever wrote st james infirmary)

19. chucklehead

my proposed "gold piece"

my proposed "gold piece" a POW Challenge Coin

[​IMG]

20. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

The middle two examples you gave (is that Tzar Nicholas?) look like a ring has been soldered directly on to the coin. I think that might be better than a bezel, because you'll keep the milling around the edges of the coin visible, making it look more like a coin hanging off your chain.