Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterloo Bridge 1940

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
One of my favorite movies was the 1940 hit, Waterloo Bridge, starring Robert Taylor and Vivien Leigh. The acting was superb and the story line was heart wrenching. Has anyone else seen this fine motion picture?

35412914_o.jpg
35412896_o.jpg

Warden

One Too Many
It was on UK telly (BBC2) about 6 weeks ago. Came across it by chance.

I do love 1940s films.

Warden

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
It has been quite sometime since I have seen this film,
however I do recall distinctly that it was indeed a powerful
& emotional film. I should hope to come across it again soon...
as your post has brought a desire to see it once again.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
I have not seen this version of the film, but I do recommend the original 1931 version with Mae Clarke (the woman who got the grapefruit in the face in The Public Enemy). Since it's pre-code, I would imagine that it's much more frank about Mae's character being a prostitute. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys talkies from before the Hays Code went into effect. I think it's a much more frank, unpostured look at life in the '30s, since the filmmakers had a lot more latitude about what they could say and do in films.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I prefer the 1931 version, also. It's more logical than the 1940 version and I had a lot more sympathy for Mae Clarke than I did Vivien Leigh. The ending of the 1931 version is much sadder. To be honest, I didn't care for the ending of the 1940 version. Nevermind that committing suicide is a sin itself!! I'll admit when I watch films I have a HUGE bias going on. I love pre-Code movies and whenever I watch a movie made after 1934 I pick out in my head what could have been changed to make it "pre-Code." I fully admit it!!!

I'll admit that the 1940 version is probably easier to sit through, though. Very early talkies can be very long-winded if you're not used to them -- the 1931 Waterloo Bridge mostly takes place in one room. It's all about dialogue.

But I recommend it if it airs on TCM again. It's just fun to see how the stories compare with and without the Production Code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto