Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We could use a chat room on this forum, what do ya say????

Blackjack

One Too Many
Especially on a forum like this where people might like to talk about certain clothes designers , auctions or whatever. I think it would be a great addition.

A chatroom would be a great idea. But for now, as someone else pointed out, there's several threads that have more or less evolved into the de facto FL chatroom:

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared in Your Lifetime
Forbidden Items in my Home
Temperature Where You Live

I think a chat-room-type thread would be great. Just something where it is expected to be greatly off-topic, and it would keep the off-topic content out of the way of those who don't appreciate it.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Not a chat room type thread. The mods can set up a chat room on the forum with no problem. They put one on the Classic Horror Film Board forum and it been very good for the board. If you want to chat with other members you just sign in to it, and everyone whos on the forum can see you in there.

rue

A chatroom would be a great idea. But for now, as someone else pointed out, there's several threads that have more or less evolved into the de facto FL chatroom:

Temperature Where You Live

Nope.... that ended with a complaint or twelve. Now we rarely talk about anything except the weather.

I think a chat-room-type thread would be great. Just something where it is expected to be greatly off-topic, and it would keep the off-topic content out of the way of those who don't appreciate it.

I like that idea :D

Not a chat room type thread. The mods can set up a chat room on the forum with no problem. They put one on the Classic Horror Film Board forum and it been very good for the board. If you want to chat with other members you just sign in to it, and everyone whos on the forum can see you in there.

Wouldn't it take away from the threads on the lounge?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab

Do you mean some form of instant messaging? I think that would be a nice idea but difficult to organise, especially since the Fedora Lounge is free and may therefore lack the funds for such a feature.

Blackjack

One Too Many
There is no cost, whoever the admin is here would just get the code for a free Java Chat (or whichever) and go to Admin tools and add it. Thats pretty much it, then if you came on the forum here you might see three or four people in the chatroom. You sign in and start talking. You can also single out someone and chat privately if you'd like. And no Rue, it doesn't at all because usually the folks chatting are talking personally to one another not like a general post. It would be a nice thing to have here...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'd try it!

But I think one of the reasons why it might not have been done is that it would be difficult to moderate. We'd have to self-moderate (kind of like a neighborhood watch) to make sure things don't get out of hand. I think everybody here is pretty nice (read: not rude or vulgar), and I think the vast majority of people would want that attitude maintained on the chat.

Asking the moderators to mind the chat room 24/7 on top of what they already do would be a huge challenge.

This is my concern, too, which is why I thought a chat thread would be a bit better of a fit, it could be moderated like everything else. I also think it would be less messy, as you could quote who you were directing your comment toward.

I'd try it!

But I think one of the reasons why it might not have been done is that it would be difficult to moderate. We'd have to self-moderate (kind of like a neighborhood watch) to make sure things don't get out of hand. I think everybody here is pretty nice (read: not rude or vulgar), and I think the vast majority of people would want that attitude maintained on the chat.

Asking the moderators to mind the chat room 24/7 on top of what they already do would be a huge challenge.

Edward

Bartender
Wouldn't be my choice. I'm glad bbs took over from chat roome in terms of popularity on the web. Much easier to facilitate an indepth discussion. Also chat rapidly becomes disjointed and unmanageable with more than two people. If TPTB decide to bring one in, fair enough, I don't have to use it. There are better places for off-topic fluff, though, one being facebook,another (closer to home) being pms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto