Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a Homburg

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How many of us can wear a Homburg in public? Fortino37 looks absolutely at home in his, as if he were born to wear one.

I just won a beautiful grey Stetson Royal Deluxe homburg on eBay and it arrived yesterday. It has the wind string and is in excellent shape. The question is, can I wear it out of the house? I wear a fedora with a T-shirt and chinos without a second thought, but I think if I have any hope of carrying off the Homburg, I need to be dressed in my best.

Here I am. Feel free to be brutally honest.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I think that looks fine on you, albeit with a grey or black suit.

I don't usually wear either of my Homburgs unless I'm in a suit and tie, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it with something more casual and see whether the fashion police come after you. Since relatively few people wear hats these days, there aren't many people who are going to know that you're breaking the rules and fewer who will actually care.

Tony in Tarzana

Yeah, I'm thinking about a black banker's stripe peaked-lapel DB like Indy's "Washington." That would be a cool combo with a pair of black and white wing-tips.

In the meantime, the same pic sepia-toned courtesy of ACDSee:

Why does this picture remind me of the late great Victor Buono? ;)

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Absolutely...

Granted, while one can't wear a homburg with the variety of attire a fedora complements, it adds a very classy look to the proper suit. For me, I choose to wear my black one with a dark doublebreasted:
detail

Pix is fuzzy, but you get the idea.

Interestingly, this homburg is an English-made Imperial Stetson originally sold at a men's shop in Belgium. The model, "Old England," is printed on the sweat, and it came with a bash different than the conventional center dent:
detail

detail

detail

But the homburg need not be limited to accenting a suit. If you have seen the movie version of "The Producers" you'll notice in the Opening Night scene there are as many tuxedo-attired patrons in homburgs as are in top hats.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Hmm, was that Homburg from an Australian on e-bay by any chance? I missed out on one there just recently, I planned to bid at the last minute then I had to visit my mother in the hospital and forgot about it. I got back in time and the auction literally had one minute to go on it. I only succeeded in driving the price up about double before it ended.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Matthew, if you're asking about mine...

I got it about two years ago from a seller in Belgium. It cost me as much for shipping as it did for the hat, but at about $55 total was still a good deal.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Awsome... good to see a man sporting about in a homburg now and again. The later days like the 50's and 60's they turned into the banker hats, thoguh in the 20's and 30's you'd see more of them all bashed up on the general working class public... classic!

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Great Homburg Tony

Hi Tony, just have to say that you look great in that Homburg, congratulations.
About the combination....... I belive that the tie is a very important piece of the suit, if you found the precise tone or color you can wear your grey homburg with the brown suit, I always try to match the color of the tie with the hat I am wearing.
If you have a black, grey or navy blue suit just look for a ligth gray tie with thin black lines and your Homburg will fit great.
The Homburg it's actually the most formal hat still can be used in this century and belive that can only be worn with a suit, the fedora is more flexible in this matter.
Congratulations again Tony

normal_PICT0171%7E0.jpg

Fortino37

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
It looks real nice on yuo but i agree about the color. I wear a black one with casual clothes but i would wear a light color with a suit so as not to look too formal

Benny Holiday

The Homburg suits you

It's a classy hat, and belongs atop a suit and tie. I'm still not sure if everyone can carry off the look - I don't know any Homburg wearers here in Sydney - but you certainly can.

ortega76

Practically Family
In Chicago and Champaign, I see quite a few homburgs as "church hats" among Black men.

I'm amazed at the color selection. Of course, they seem to be wool felt.

Last week I was on my way to breakfast with my wife on Sunday morning. We drove past a very old-school Baptist church and I saw what I imagine was a family. A dad and two teenage boys, all wearing suits in bright colors and matching homburgs. Very bold jewel-tones like sapphire blue, ruby red and a classic black. I dug the style.

Far down on my list of hats to pick up is a homburg. Grey. Perfect for a suit or a formal occasion. I don't think I could wear anything less than a suit with a homburg. It looks too "Kid Rock" otherwise.

Tony in Tarzana

My homburg has "Remick's Quincy" stamped in it. Apparently Remick's is or was a famous department store in Quincy Mass. and the founder Frank Remick was the father of actress Lee Remick. Anybody know where I can find out about the store?

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
Hey Tony, looking good! I'm just going to echo what's already been said, but I think the Homburg looks natural on you. With the suit you can easily pull off that look.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I showed up late to this thread, so all I can say is you look great. I agree it needs a suit, I can't imagine it with some of the dressed-down vintage looks a fedora can blend with easily. But its a great augment to the range of looks you can pull off.

I do see a few here and there around here, generally on the heads of those on their way to religious services, but you look as sharp as any of them.

I love the 1911 as accessory. Satin walnut grips, maybe, or coordinated with cufflinks, to keep the formal theme? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk