Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a wristwatch with pocketwatch

David Ward

Familiar Face
What does everyone think about wearing both of these in the same outfit?
It just feels wrong, somehow. But then, the pocketwatch could be seen as decorative, and the wristwatch worn for utility. Opinions welcome!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I use an Elgin pocketwatch on a Chinese gold chain with my
Phi Beta Kappa key and Field Artillery School class shield pendant,
and prefer it to my grandfather's Hamilton wristwatch, which
often received compliments; wearing both would be redundant,
and I prefer the Elgin for its ornate design and three windows
with sky/moon feature. :)

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I have done it on occasion often out of force of habit, putting on the wrist watch. I've always toyed with the idea of having two watches set at different times. For example setting a watch to your home time if abroad, but it's never been more than an Idle thought.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ethan Bentley said:
I've always toyed with the idea of having two watches set at different times.
Why stop at two?

hayek.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I would consider a belt with suspenders but not a wrist watch and pocket watch.
Maybe two pocket watches with two wrist watches. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
The Wolf said:
I would consider a belt with suspenders but not a wrist watch and pocket watch.
Maybe two pocket watches with two wrist watches. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

An interesting predicament presented itself this morning when I was travelling from London to the coast. It was relatively cold on the walk to the station and having my overcoat fully fastened realised that couldn't easily check my pocket watch.

How would you to solve such a problem?

MB5

One of the Regulars
Ethan Bentley said:
An interesting predicament presented itself this morning when I was travelling from London to the coast. It was relatively cold on the walk to the station and having my overcoat fully fastened realised that couldn't easily check my pocket watch.

Perhaps a pass-through pocket? Though it could defeat wearing an overcoat if not very carefully designed. It could work if you kept your watch in the watch pocket in your pants. If you keep it in your waistcoat I am not sure what to do. A slash pocket would be too high, and the typical outer pockets are a bit low. Maybe see about adding a ticket pocket and have it be the pass through.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
some people wear pocketwatches in their jacket breast pocket with the chain going to their lapel. Even with an overcoat, that could be reached.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Ethan Bentley said:

If I'm wearing jeans I can push the bottom of my double breasted greatcoat far enough out of the way to access both watch and wallet. If I'm wearing high-waisted trousers or a waistcoat, I just unbutton the jacket if I really need to know the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points