Wearing Clothes That Are Out Of Style

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by BryanB, Aug 4, 2019.

1. BryanB

BryanB One of the Regulars

How do you guys feel about wearing medium brim fedoras casually? I have the Connor indy felt fedora, and I never wore it because I felt it was not in style, and I would look like a "rhine-stone cowboy" and stand out like a boy named "Sue" lol. I've got a new fedora the stetson gable rain hat. It's like a cross between a fedora and an Aussie outback hat, that's whats in my profile pick. I really like it, but feel a bit self-conscious when I wear it out. Even though the trilby is in style, I can't stand it. It's looks awkward with that hacked off brim, like a t-rex with its dinky arms.

I just bought a similar hat by connor called the rugged mountain trail hat. Looking forward to that arriving in a few weeks from over seas.

2. jdbenson

jdbenson One of the Regulars

There is no such thing as "out of style". Style is simply a manner of doing something. I think what you mean is "out of fashion". Fashion is most simply defined as a popular trend. Chasing fashion is a losing battle. Unless you are willing to revamp your style every 3 - 6 months, you'll never be in fashion for too long. That's why most of us here have adopted a style to suit ourself and make ourselves happy. My advice is find a style that makes YOU happy and forget about being out of fashion. Who knows you may SET the fashion. Remember what Adam Ant said:
    "We don't follow fashion,
    That would be a joke.
    You know, we're going to set them, set them,
    So everyone should take note, take note."

bn1966, scottyrocks and Benny Holiday like this.
  3. DaveProc

DaveProc Call Me a Cab

Wear what makes you happy! Look around this site, there many many people who, like you, are wearing hats like yours, you are among friends here. Never let anyone tell you that you can't be you.

4. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Even as a kid, I never cared about what was "in style". When all my friends were wearing a pair of Chucks, I was stomping around in galoshes. I wore what made me happy then, and I still do.

scottyrocks and Edward like this.
  5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Sound advice about wearing what makes you happy, if anyone ever dared to make a derogatory remark about anything that I wear my immediate response would be: "And your problem is?"

However, I do pick up on your sense of misgiving. Someone that I know absolutely loves my Aloha shirt collection, he knows that all the shirts are hand made by my missus, he regularly compliments me, telling me that this shirt or that is just amazing. When I told him that he could buy such shirts online, maybe not to the same demanding standard as my wife's, but acceptable all the same, he said that he didn't have the balls to wear one. What he's saying is that he's worried of others being judgemental.

So I would endorse what others have said, wear whatever makes you happy and just cock a snook at what anyone else thinks.

Edward likes this.
  6. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton One Too Many

If this is about perception and other people, I've found that if you wear whatever with confidence, it goes a real long way. If people perceive your confidence and comfort, they don't think twice. They probably don't think twice anyway. People don't think about us as much as we think we do (it's called paranoia). And...uh...who cares? The only people who actually matter don't care what we're wearing. Everyone else is inconsequential.

When I've pushed the boundaries of my comfort zone, I've found wearing things at night while I'm on my walks, when I'm alone and nobody can see, I either get comfortable enough that I forget about it or realize this ain't for me. My testing zone.

scottyrocks and Edward like this.
  7. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Excellent advice, plus an Adam Ant quote to boot! One of my favourite artists of all time!

8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Bravo! Though I rather prefer:

"I'm the dandy highwayman
    So sick of easy fashion
    The clumsy boots, peekaboo roots
    That people think so dashing
    So what's the point of robbery
    When nothing is worth taking?
    It's kind of tough to tell a scruff
    The big mistake he's making"

;)

Lovely fellow, Adam Ant. Met him very briefly after a gig back in 2011; he'd sent a whole bunch of comps for a show and afterparty to the Chap following a cover-story interview. Still a tremendous performer who joyfully pumps out the old hits alongside the new with gusto, and a charming, gentle presence off-stage. Has a vintage-bohemian style to him that will remind many of Johnny Depp circa 2010ish, though Adam did it first (and looks a lot healthier these days).

Benny Holiday likes this.
  9. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

He was at a gig a couple of years back, introduced as Stuart Goddard by Ian Clarkson, The Jive Aces lead singer. I tell you what, he can belt out those old African/American numbers that were first performed by the likes of Big Joe Turner and his ilk. When one of my friends said to me, "did you know that he's Adam Ant?" I quickly said, "Really?" Truth be told, I nearly said: "Who?"

Some years before, I made a similar faux pas by not knowing who Gary Barlow was, (I still don't.) When I got home I looked up Adam Ant and then the penny dropped, he's the chap with the white stripe across his face. He looks nothing like Stuart Goddard.

Edward likes this.
  10. Chris7273

Chris7273 One of the Regulars

Most people (work colleagues, people in the street, ...) really don't care. I have more comments from my family about my style (jacket, boots, moustache and sideburns). As long as you are comfortable, you will be unnoticed.
    Of course, there is a limit : designer's clothes (eg : Jean Paul Gauthier and the likes...) :)

Edward likes this.
  11. Edward

Edward Bartender

Easy to tell. Adam Ant is the flamboyant musician, Gary Barlow is a political entertainer who doesn't pay his tax. ;)

12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You have the most wonderful cynical streak that is so easy to empathise with.

AbbaDatDeHat and Edward like this.
  13. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

I saw Adam Ant in concert in Sydney a couple of years ago, and he was brilliant. He performed the full Kings of the Wild Frontier album, in order, and then went on to do another hour of his hits from other albums without pause. He still has the look and the moves all these years later. He was my first musical hero; when I started high school and discovered rock music the first musician who caught my attention - nay, demanded my attention - was the Ant with his war paint, pirate/hussar/punk garb, and pounding jungle drums. I was 12 years old, and I thought he was amazing. Now I'm 50 years old, and my opinion of him and his music has only deepened over the years. I'd love to meet him. Great to hear he is a a good guy off stage as well.

14. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I don't think we live in a world where something is in style anymore unless you belong to mainstream mall culture, where funny or drab looking clothes come in and out of fashion every season. Most adults don't participate or care.

With hats it is worth trying to find one that suits you. Some do look better than others and this is generally based on the colour, height of the crown and the width of the brim. I am pretty lean so I need less brim and a smaller crown.

A fedora is not a cowboy hat so it shouldn't get people thinking about the wild west unless they are so poorly educated that any felt hat is synonymous with cowboys.

I wear a few fedoras here because I live in a dangerous part of the world where skin cancer is rife. Not sure I would wear one just for the look of it. But I might. I have worn a fedora on and off since I was in my teens (35 years ago).

Classic items of clothing never go out of fashion.

Your real underlying question might be - is a hat an unusual item to wear and will it single me out? That may well depend on where you live and who you hang with, but really unless you're still in high school, most people won't notice or care.

scottyrocks and Hal like this.
  15. Edward

Edward Bartender

I often wonder if he had more influence on me than I realised. I, for whatever reason, didn'tg get into music until quite late; I was twelve at least before I developed an interest in a specific band (of all people, the Beach Boys - in 1986!); I bought my first album with my own money when I was fourteen (Meatloaf, if memory serves - Bat Out of Hell on cassette), any my first vinyl at fifteen (7" single, Megadeth's cover of the Alice Cooper track No More Mr Nice Guy, rapidly followed by No Future UK, a compilation of early Sex Pistols tracks, some of them the Spedding Demos, I think - my first 12" LP). But even if mnusic didn't come til later for me, something did strike eightish year old me aout Adam Ant - the costumes, the sense of drama.... I adored the costumes they had for The Mice in the pussycat video, actually really wanted one back in the day. I remember SwapShop had a competition to win one of the helmets, and I would have loved to have won that! I do wonder if much of my later interest in clothing and costume was first sparked by Adam and his whole image. I remember very clearly him talking about it on kids TV - and, if you look up the old archive footage of him in interviews on kids' TV, just how well he related to the kids, how genuine he was with them and how patiently he answered their questions.... Back in thye early eighties, SAturday morning kids' TV in the UK was hugely commercially important for a pop act, but not all of them treated it in any way quite so well as he did. That's alwaystuck with me.

Moreso than ever, I think now. The intersting thing is too that while many will bemoan the homogenisation of popular culture on a global level via the web, to be honest I see more fragmentation that ever before. It's much easier to be a goth, or a punk, or vintage or whatever and be the only one in your village when you're pluged in online to a community that can provide you with the clothes/ music / whatever...

I'm always intereted in what draws people to these things. I came in from a different angle: I'd already discovered the practicality of hats; adopting a fedora was a way of adding some style to that practicality. But then where and when I grew up - Northern Ireland in the eighties and into the nineties - save a very small flat-cap for men over sixty, ball caps for little kids in the Summer, and maybe a knit beanie in Winter for all else, wearing any kind of a hat immediately made you stick out and drew attention. A couple of years ago I was followed through a mall in Belfast by a bunch of sniggering men in their late twenties / early thirties singing the 'Inspector Gadget' theme. Thing is, people like that only want a reaction and they give up pretty fast when they don't get it, or if they think you're not intimidated by them. Find what you like, stand tall in it and be unapologetic about it, and folks generally won't bother.

Benny Holiday, Seb Lucas and RBH like this.
  16. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

The way to wear clothes that are "out of style" is to wear them as though those not wearing them are pathetically unhip. On some level, most people suspect that they are sheep and that somewhere people are onto great things that they themselves are clueless about. Never underestimate the power of the smirk.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  17. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I think it would be very hard to identify what counts as 'out of style' clothing these days. There's no real mainstream to depart from any more but rather a range of mainstreams and subcultures you might or might not dress to. And likely this would be very different in rural regions versus cities.

If I were to dress like an Edwardian gentleman in the city near me, very few people would even notice. But if I were to travel just 40 minutes east by train, to the outer suburbs, my appearance would cause mirth and/or derision.

Having lived in rural regions and outer suburbs over the years it seems to me people are more conservative and more likely to single out a stranger in 'strange' clothing.

Edward likes this.
  18. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

I found this picture via the Rivethead site recently and it just exemplifies what I love about that era.Handsome,purposeful clothing and comfortable.

Attached Files:

19. Hats Matter

Hats Matter One of the Regulars

There is a very old quote that is attributed in one form or another to Coco Chanel: "Fashion is fleeting, Style is Forever".

Edward and Mathematicus like this.
  20. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Given that it now seems acceptable to go out and about in your pajamas or to have your underwear sticking out the top of your pants or paying a ridiculous sum for torn pants I would not wear to mow the yard among other things, being in style or fashionable isn't of any interest to me.
    Wear what you like and be comfortable.
    Happiness is not found in feeling forced to comply with the latest bit of foolishness.

PeterB and Benny Holiday like this.