Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing used shoes?

Spartcom5

New in Town
Hey guys I myself am a big fan of vintage clothing. However, recently on another forum I got chewed out for wearing used/worn shoes. Saying how bad it is for my feet and how disgusting it is period. What do you all think on here? I don't see anything wrong with it however I can understand the concern. I get a lot more joy out of wearing a pair of shoes from the 60s I found for $5 than I do from wearing a brand new pair of AEs for $400...

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
I have to fess up. If you asked me a year ago I'd probably be slightly aghast. Used shoes.... ewww. But, at one of my regular thrift store stops before I left I decided for no apparent reason to check out the shoes. I'm standing there looking at the racks of worn out trash as a girl who works there put one pair of shoes on the rack under 10-1/2. Those look like.... OMG, they're Clark's Desert Trek Originals. I snapped them up in about .004 milli-seconds after she put then on the rack. What's the catch? They look almost brand new. Any stains? I can't see any. People looking at me must have thought I was nutty I was looking them over so closely. Not knock-offs either. Basically about $149 retail. I snagged them for $19.99 So I always at least look maybe lighting will strike twice.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The only problem that I would have in wearing someone else's shoes is tinea pedis. Better known as athlete's foot, it's a fungus that causes a rash between the toes. The condition is chronic, meaning that although medication can repress it, every so often it will return. Whether the condition can lie dormant in an old shoe or not, I know not, I prefer not to take the risk.

There was a time when psoriasis put me off used hats, but members here have been reassuring that psoriasis is not a contagious condition.

I collect vintage and custom made cowboy boots, mostly in sizes I can wear. Some of my boots were over 60 years old when I acquired them. First thing I do is wash them inside and out with warm water and liquid Ivory and after wiping them down with clean water allow them to dry in the sun. They then get treated with a leather conditioner, inside and out and then worn. been collecting for many years, selling as well and never had an issue or complaint.

I always heard that it was bad for your back and body to wear someone else's shoes once they've molded to another person's foot. I can totally see the issues with instep, heel slant, etc. That said, I've purchased used shoes/ boots and inserted an insole. I only buy ones that aren't worn very much. A worn in pair should go to the cobbler for a new footbed and heel IMHO.

Silverstreak

New in Town
Sorry, not a fan. As much as I enjoy thrifting, you can't really sterilize used shoes IMO. Too much risk of catching someone else's crud. Same goes for hats. I buy my own.

Desperandum

New in Town
I've never gone out to buy used shoes or boots, but, at various times in my life, I've had to overcome a distaste and wear borrowed or "found" ones. There haven't been any problems with catching things, but the big downside is that none of them were ever comfortable but, then again, I never wore any for long enough to give time to adapt to my feet. Vice versa; like most people, my gait causes wear patterns, especially on heels, that are specific to me, and I can't see my footwear being comfortable for others.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I have no problems with buying used footwear as long as they're in reasonable condition, i.e. lightly used. I've bought & worn quite a few pairs of second hand shoes & boots from evilbay & they have all been clean, odorless & have adapted to my feet perfectly. As yet I haven't caught any diseases from any used garment or footwear I've acquired.
I can understand some people's revulsion though, I was a bit like that before but after having so many positive experiences I wouldn't hesitate now. There are just somethings you can't buy new nowadays anyway & I always prefer genuine vintage to new modern knock offs.

Last edited:

Spartcom5

New in Town
Thanks everyone! I will say most of the shoes I buy are in good condition nothing overly beat up. I did however buy an amazing looking pair of Nunn Bush shoes from the 50s that looked as if they were worn quite a bit. However, the heels had been replaced and the soles looked clean. I wore them and noticed absolutely no pain in my feet so I assume that my back was fine as well, I wore them for 5 hours. But, I would like to look into maybe finding some removable insoles to help with support, any suggestions?

Also, if anyone is fearing fungus or diseases in used shoes, this will kill everything, epa approved and safe to use. https://www.amazon.com/10-Seconds-Shoe-Deodorizer-Disinfectant-EPA-Approved/dp/B000QCOF1M?th=1

Edit: I also noticed that my feet leave very little imprints in my well worn shoes. Maybe another reason why used shoes seem fine for me?

Pie & Coffee

New in Town
But, I would like to look into maybe finding some removable insoles to help with support, any suggestions?

There's a lot of really bulky insoles on the market that are great in modern shoes with removable insoles already in them, allowing easy swapping in and out of. Unless you size up width/length I've never found them to fit right into classic footwear. Spenco has some flat insoles that are well padded but still thin enough to fit into most shoes. They're green in color and cheap. Red Wing has some more molded and supportive insoles that are thin enough to fit as well.

Edward

Bartender
I'm wearing a pair of William Lennon B9 boots now; bought them second hand, on eBay, for a third of retail price. They were in as-new condition when they arrived - I can only assume the original purchaser never wore them. I've bought a lot of second-hand shoesx over the years, with no problem. As long as they're lightly worn, I find it never takes more than a day or two for the footbed to completely remould around my feet - no real differentg to wearing new shoes, really. The only people who've ever really looked at me in askance over this have been people who either sneer at the idea of second-hand clothing generally, or people who think of shoes as too cheap to buy used, because they only ever buy twenty-quid cheap shoes new themselves, and don't appreciate the idea of a quality pair of shoes, let alone one at a bargain. For every person I've heard fear catching all sort of unspedcified nasties from lightly-used second hand shoes, I've yet to hearf of a medically-verfied instance of this.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've purchased the odd pair of lightly used boots in my time & appear to have suffered no ill effects (yet).

I've had many used leather jackets & that's all been fine too.

Came unstuck with an original 60's Mod Tonic suit where I couldn't get rid of the original owner's BO (body odour). He could afford nice threads but appeared to have scrimped on the personal hygiene...ended up bining that one

I would not purchase a used pair of hiking boots that I intended to use while trekking the Pacific Crest trail. However I am the owner of two pairs of very nice exotic hide cowboy boots that I picked up for pennies on the dollar. They are to be used as fashion items to be worn for limited periods of time. Therefore I see no downside to wearing a boot, lightly used. It will not affect my foot or nor posture. But it may help me look good and in that area I need all the help I can muster.
I do draw the line at using used toothbrushes or underwear but then the price point on those items when new is something I can handle/

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saw used Y Front underwear at the local thrift shop, didn't seem to be a good seller :) Wonder why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ