Wearing used shoes?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Spartcom5, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Dnewma04

Dnewma04 One of the Regulars

I kind of enjoy the challenge of taking on something kind of beat up but I'm with you, in general.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvMyMan, FedOregon and -30- like this.
  2. joshua alvarado

joshua alvarado New in Town

I have had pretty good success buying used. I don't always and of course prefer not to, but if I come across a pair I like and they're in good looking condition I go for it. For me I have to judge by the amount of heel wear. Years ago I purchased a pair of boots that were too worn to match the original owners heel slant and gait and they were murder on my knees.

LuvMyMan likes this.
  3. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

How else can a guy afford some Ostrich skin Luchesse ropers? I just don't have an extra $600 - $800 lying around for shoes. I spend the bulk of my money on guns and hats... :)

4. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

That is when you see your local cobbler...or send them to me to fix!

Dnewma04 likes this.
  5. joshua alvarado

joshua alvarado New in Town

Glad to meet you. I will definitely take you up on that when I need that done again. Do you know if a red wing crepe sole could be completely replaced with a sole like on a beckman or iron ranger?

6. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

Should be as long as there is a welt, you can have another sole replaced. I have replaced the crepe sole on a few pair of redwings with crepe, but none so far with a leather or vibram style sole. But yes, as long as ny boot or shoe has a welt, replacing the sole, even to a different style, is possible because they are being sewn on.

7. Isshinryu101

Isshinryu101 One Too Many

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

NEVER have vintage shoes re-soled using any methods that mess with that welt!!

Even excellent shoemen have a very hard time putting the threads thru the EXACT smae spots as originally done... and even then the job often doesn't look clean.

ALSO, older shoes have a tendency to have dried welting... often inside the shoe. If this is dry, it makes the task triply difficult. Just use standard TOPY and other rubber coverings. You get a new sole & are ASSURED the welt will not be ruined.