Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Invitations

So I've received two wedding invitations in the mail this week; one for my niece and one for my wife's cousin. One address envelope was hand written and the other was computer generated. The latter bothers me. I know it's hip and cool to have all your addresses in a database and let the computer print the envelopes, but I still think it's tacky for a wedding invitation. My wife says I'm just not with it.

*grumble, grumble*

F. J.

One of the Regulars
It IS tacky!

So I've received two wedding invitations in the mail this week; one for my niece and one for my wife's cousin. One address envelope was hand written and the other was computer generated. The latter bothers me. I know it's hip and cool to have all your addresses in a database and let the computer print the envelopes, but I still think it's tacky for a wedding invitation. My wife says I'm just not with it.

*grumble, grumble*

Mr. HudsonHawk,

Pardon my saying so, but it seems your wife is "not with it" as it comes to etiquette, at least in this instance.
According to Emily Post, "Always address wedding invitation envelopes by hand, even when inviting hundreds of guests."

Now, when they printed them, I hope that at least they had enough class to *not* use that horrible Comic Sans font, or did they?

Mr. HudsonHawk,

Pardon my saying so, but it seems your wife is "not with it" as it comes to etiquette, at least in this instance.
According to Emily Post, "Always address wedding invitation envelopes by hand, even when inviting hundreds of guests."

Now, when they printed them, I hope that at least they had enough class to *not* use that horrible Comic Sans font, or did they?

No, they were printed in some script font. Which now that I think about it is both tacky *and* lazy.

Trisha

New in Town
I agree with the both of you. A handwritten address is more likely to make an impression on me. The computer generated ones feel sort of like mass marketing to me.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Getting a wedding invitation where the envelope was clearly printed from a database (probably Excel, rather than a proper database too!) is a good excuse to get out of going to the wedding.

I can see it now:

Caren: Shouldn't you be getting ready for the wedding?

Me: I don't think so, did you see the invite? Looks like the address was printed on a cheapo HP printer! Lazy gits!

Caren: Are you crazy?

Me: I'd say it was generic ink too; these people won't even pay for real HP cartridges. I bet they don't have an open bar!

Caren: Don't wait up for me!

Door slamming sounds!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Getting a wedding invitation where the envelope was clearly printed from a database (probably Excel, rather than a proper database too!) is a good excuse to get out of going to the wedding.

I can see it now:

Caren: Shouldn't you be getting ready for the wedding?

Me: I don't think so, did you see the invite? Looks like the address was printed on a cheapo HP printer! Lazy gits!

Caren: Are you crazy?

Me: I'd say it was generic ink too; these people won't even pay for real HP cartridges. I bet they don't have an open bar!

Caren: Don't wait up for me!

Door slamming sounds!

(do you then break out the sacred stash of aged scotch)??? lol!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I know anything printed just does not cut it. I have helped Daniel (and this past year all on my own) packed things being sold to loungers. If I send a thank you (I try to every time but some times forget) it is always done by hand. I think the wedding invitations should have been done by hand no matter what. Now if you want to print some and they are done by a pro...and it has some gold ink...fancy rice type paper...something to make it really nice that is one thing...but...really a printed MAP showing directions from a printer yes...the invitation no.

It is also very similar to getting a real card in the US mail...instead of someone send you an "e" card to your email inbox......you know a person had to care to shop and write and stamp and close the envelope...it shows they love and care about you.....

I know anything printed just does not cut it. I have helped Daniel (and this past year all on my own) packed things being sold to loungers. If I send a thank you (I try to every time but some times forget) it is always done by hand. I think the wedding invitations should have been done by hand no matter what. Now if you want to print some and they are done by a pro...and it has some gold ink...fancy rice type paper...something to make it really nice that is one thing...but...really a printed MAP showing directions from a printer yes...the invitation no.

A professionally printed invitation is fine. It will usually turn out much nicer. But you still handwrite the address envelope. Always.

Last edited:

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Let's look at this with some perspective: a wedding invitation or any other invitation is a personal gesture, they are not business distributions. Of course you would make an invitation in a very personal way like hand writing it.

It may be that some people today are not comfortable with hand writing because most of them can't write anyway.

3fingers

One Too Many
Don't mean to hijack, but I think this is somewhat related. Why are you sending me a postcard size refrigerator magnet telling me to "save the date" with "formal invitation to follow". First, I'm not putting your engagement photos on my refrigerator and second just send the invitation already. Our older children are of the age where their friends are marrying and my wife is very involved in a well known pageant system, so we get many of these things.
I think it's silly and a waste of money.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It may be that some people today are not comfortable with hand writing because most of them can't write anyway.

It might have been more tactful if you had stopped at the word 'writing.' Sorry to sound critical, and I do empathise with the concensus that a hand written invitation is the tasteful option.

My sister, an articulate and intelligent woman, has scrawly hand writing, she also has a difficulties with letter recognition. Often she writes 'b' when she actually means 'd' or 'q' instead of 'p.' Perhaps it's being left handed, I don't know, but she is painfully aware of her shortcoming and always sends out communications, including her wedding, with the printed word. Those invitations were beautifully presented too.

On a slightly different angle, my wife's colleague, a military re-enactor, sent wedding invitations printed on WW2 ration books.

Don't mean to hijack, but I think this is somewhat related. Why are you sending me a postcard size refrigerator magnet telling me to "save the date" with "formal invitation to follow". First, I'm not putting your engagement photos on my refrigerator and second just send the invitation already. Our older children are of the age where their friends are marrying and my wife is very involved in a well known pageant system, so we get many of these things.
I think it's silly and a waste of money.

I can somewhat understand the "save the date " things. You want to let guests (particularly those that must travel) know far enough in advance to make arrangements, but you may not have the details (location, time, etc) other than the date finalized yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points