Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss options

Esme

One of the Regulars
Vintage Red, and here I was admiring your jaw line!! So firm, no double chin, etc! I lost about 80 lbs in the last two years so my double chin(S!) have become wrinkles, but they say, it's your ass or your face and l love not having to go to the extended sizes anymore, so I guess I will live with it. Sad when you are thrilled to be DOWN to a 16/18, isn't it?

VintageRed

Familiar Face
Esme said:
. Sad when you are thrilled to be DOWN to a 16/18, isn't it?

Not at all. I think you should congratulate yourself on a job well done, pamper that newly sized down body and admire your determination.

I'd like to pare down myself a bit, but I apparently need a work out buddy to keep my honest and committed. LOL.

It's not about the numbers anyway. It's just about being healthy. :eusa_clap

And thank you for your compliments. I've learned how to disguise what I don't like about my jaw. Hehehe!

~Red

sian kisses

One of the Regulars
Esme said:
Vintage Red, and here I was admiring your jaw line!! So firm, no double chin, etc! I lost about 80 lbs in the last two years so my double chin(S!) have become wrinkles, but they say, it's your ass or your face and l love not having to go to the extended sizes anymore, so I guess I will live with it. Sad when you are thrilled to be DOWN to a 16/18, isn't it?

I went from a size 22-24 to 14-16 very quickly so also have the skin thing. but super happy about it too. you're not sad.
con grats.

xx

Inky

One Too Many
The Sagging Skin Thing

:eek:fftopic: I too went from a tight 28 to a 12/14 in 1.5 years (gastric bypass surgery) and have some wrinkles where 2 extra chins previously resided, and bat wing arms, and saggy boobs and a saggy tummy, but in exchange I:

1. no longer take any meds for blood pressure (I was on three)
2. can sleep through the night (sleep apnea gone)
3. can walk anywhere and for as long as I want (providing the shoes are comfy - yay wedgies!)
4. have normal cholesterol levels
5. will likely live at least 10 years longer than I might have if I were still 322 pounds.

So I'll take some saggy skin in exchange ;) the trade-off was worth it.

Esme

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
:eek:fftopic: I too went from a tight 28 to a 12/14 in 1.5 years (gastric bypass surgery) and have some wrinkles where 2 extra chins previously resided, and bat wing arms, and saggy boobs and a saggy tummy, it.

Inky, me too. Not gastric bypass, but lap banding, so same result. The saggy skin gets better after time. It should shrink. I am 50 and my skin is still tightening up. I can see the difference in my neck alot. A good night cream and keeping up on the exercise makes a world of difference. I was at about 310 lbs (and I am only 5'2") and am headed for a goal of 150 if I make it.
I might have my bat wings and saggy tummy taken care of in a bit.
It was so worth it!!

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
Oh Esme you've had lapbanding?? I was referred to a surgeon a few months back but decided to try n do it myself...failed miserably and gained ten kgs... Im now about to make an appointment to get another referral. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Inky Ive seen youre weight loss journey site thingy ( the one with b4 and after pics). Youre such an inspiration!

ETA try n do the weightloss myself not the lapbanding lol

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Thanks for starting a thread about this Lady Day. I have about 30 kgs to lose so I'lll follow this thread with interest. At the moment I'm dieting & working out with a wiifit (which I love & I never thought I would say that about exercise!)

Esme

One of the Regulars
Hahaha, for trying to do the lapbanding yourself. So funny. I knew what you meant.
Yeah, I have thyroid and metabolism issues and can't exercise much due to a very bad back and leg (I am basically constantly in at least mild pain, but oh well, life goes on) so some sort of surgery was pretty much my only option.
I have been thrilled with it, even if I can't eat bread anymore. The weight keeps coming off and I am healthier than I have been in decades.
If you want to talk about doctors or anything, let me know and I will send you my private email.

pixie

Familiar Face
Yay wedgies,,,,,hahahahah, i know that it is about shoes, but still....hee hee:)

Inky said:
:eek:fftopic: I too went from a tight 28 to a 12/14 in 1.5 years (gastric bypass surgery) and have some wrinkles where 2 extra chins previously resided, and bat wing arms, and saggy boobs and a saggy tummy, but in exchange I:

1. no longer take any meds for blood pressure (I was on three)
2. can sleep through the night (sleep apnea gone)
3. can walk anywhere and for as long as I want (providing the shoes are comfy - yay wedgies!)
4. have normal cholesterol levels
5. will likely live at least 10 years longer than I might have if I were still 322 pounds.

So I'll take some saggy skin in exchange ;) the trade-off was worth it.

kyda

One of the Regulars
weighing in

I am doing it the hard way, watching what I eat and excersise and I am find it hard. I have 20 kgs to shed but I have started and that is the hardest part........ right???? [huh] [huh]

sian kisses

One of the Regulars
I was big at a young age and when i turned 16, something just twigged and i thought i needed a change it wasn't good for my health> so i got my parents to buy me a gym membership and told all my family and friends, and they watched what i ate and encouraged me. after 3 and a half years i was a size 14, now i'm 14/16 and so happy, have a few bits of baggy skin, but i can wear what i want.
good luck and congrats all ladies.
xx

Inky

One Too Many
kyda said:
I am doing it the hard way, watching what I eat and excersise and I am find it hard. I have 20 kgs to shed but I have started and that is the hardest part........ right???? [huh] [huh]

Kyda, it's all the "hard way" trust me. those of us that have had surgery or lap band or use any other method to lose weight have all traveled down a very hard road.

Keep at your exercise and nutrition plan and the weight will come off, the hardest part is keeping it off :)

Inky

One Too Many
KittyVonKirsche said:
Oh Esme you've had lapbanding?? I was referred to a surgeon a few months back but decided to try n do it myself...failed miserably and gained ten kgs... Im now about to make an appointment to get another referral. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Inky Ive seen youre weight loss journey site thingy ( the one with b4 and after pics). Youre such an inspiration!

ETA try n do the weightloss myself not the lapbanding lol

Hiya Kitty!

Well thank you, I never felt like an inspiration but I know what you mean, seeing those before and after pictures really keeps me motivated. I guess I should post one here lol, but I haven't done one in over six months, I'll do that soon.

Good luck at your appointment!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Good to have a thread for this LD, thanks!

The best book I've ever found on this topic is Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight for Everybody.--probably available at your local library if you're interested It's helped me keep the weight I lost off for several years now. There is a diet on the Internet called The Mayo Clinic diet which isn't the same thing, so beware! The Mayo Clinic has a companion book on fitness that I really need to get.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Unfortunately I need to lose, hmm, about 40 pounds, but I could live with losing 30. Luckily I don't look it. It's crazy trying to lose weight at my house, Both my parents are a bit heavy, and while my mom would be glad to, my dad will NOT give up his junkfood...and it is SO hard to resist temptation while he's sitting there eating snickers and ice cream.:( I keep trying though...someday I will be 150.I'm determined!...but I've also been saying that for years :rolleyes:

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I moderate on a weight loss surgery support site and am a practicing physician/general internist/diabetologist.

Inky is correct, weight control is about health, and it doesn't make any difference how many lbs/kgs you need to lose, or what method you chose, it never is easy. Even if someone chooses surgery, it actually is all about making healthy food choices and exercising. Surgery is only one of the many tools, but it also is, at this moment, the most effective for losing and for maintaining when you have a very large amount of weight to lose, but it still is only a tool. It's the person's determination that makes it work.

Mayo Clinic is known among other things as being one of the best diabetes treatment centers in the US and the world. The basis of diabetes treatment is healthy lifestyle and healthy food choices and weight control--nothing special, actually, but very sensible, which is the most important thing. This goes both for type 1 and type 2 diabetics, though for type 1 diabetics, other factors come into play. In fact, this goes for anyone who wants/needs to stay at a healthy weight with minimum health problems and minimum medication to deal with.

There are plenty of articles on the damages excess weight can do, so I'm not going there, but I do want everyone to have every chance they can get for a good and productive life by being able to stay at a healthy weight. :)

sian kisses

One of the Regulars
Caity Lynn said:
Unfortunately I need to lose, hmm, about 40 pounds, but I could live with losing 30. Luckily I don't look it. It's crazy trying to lose weight at my house, Both my parents are a bit heavy, and while my mom would be glad to, my dad will NOT give up his junkfood...and it is SO hard to resist temptation while he's sitting there eating snickers and ice cream.:( I keep trying though...someday I will be 150.I'm determined!...but I've also been saying that for years :rolleyes:

I know how you feel when i was trying to lose weight my family carried on eating the same, i read a lot of books and learnt what i could and couldn't have, so sunday was treat day and i could have a little of what i wanted and i ate the same as my parents but would work out more after.
i also found cooking meals made me want to eat less and i could make healthier options.
i hope this helps.
x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points