Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WEP Jacket and Trousers

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Awesome Deacon! I've never seen the pants to go with the jacket. And look at the rise on the damn things! Talk about high-waisted! No wonder the jackets were so short!
Before these things were popular as outerwear amongst pilots, they were intended as liners for immersion ('poopy') suits, weren't they?
Seems strange to me that when the USN/USMC had G-1s issued, pilots felt the need to wear immersion suit liners around as outerwear...
There's gotta be more to that story.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I’d imagine that they just got used to wearing the tops around in the Ready Room and they became sort of a second flight jacket. I think they are warmer than the G-1 and it was just easier to wear the WEP that you were going to wear anyway and not carry two jackets with you.

That would also be true if you were spending the night ashore or going on a Cross Country. It’d be easier to just take off the trousers and throw the jacket back on.

Just a guess though.

Actually, it occurs to me that this is the way that the A-2 and G-1 got their start. Both were flight equipment. Neither were really intended to wear off the flight line. But both wound up replacing more formal uniform wear around the squadron spaces and eventually became a uniform item (for a long time unofficially) it their own right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto