Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Were fedoras worn during WW1?

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Yes, as the name, "Fedora" comes from a play and then an opera from the late 1800's.

Though peak caps and trench helmets were also en' vogue in 1914-1918.

Knifedaddy

New in Town
OldSkoolFrat said:
Yes, as the name, "Fedora" comes from a play and then an opera from the late 1800's.

Though peak caps and trench helmets were also en' vogue in 1914-1918.
Thanks...the same hat as the 30's and 40's?

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Essentially, the play and the opera's Heroine was named "Fedora" and the character wore a felt hat that was creased in the center with a snap brim. It became the rage!

carter

I'll Lock Up
I have a photo of my Grandfather, Great Aunt, and Great Uncle that was taken during WWI. My Grandad is wearing a fedora, my Great Aunt is wearing a fur coat and a ladies hat, and my Great Uncle is wearing his Marine Corps uniform.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a couple of pics from c.1915

WoodrowWWI.jpg
WoodrowII.jpg

woodrow3.jpg

In each of these shots from 1915 while Europe was engaged in the 'Great War', several types of hat are shown. Fedoras show up in each crowd. The bashes may be different than those in the 30's or 40's, there were fedoras none the less.

-dixon cannon

Knifedaddy

New in Town
Thanks for the responses. Looking at those pictures I wondered, what "killed" the top hat look? Will top hats ever be back in style? (Aside from rocker Slash wearing one).

Jovan

Suspended
J.T.Marcus said:
Remember YOUNG INDIANA JONES? :)
I just figured if they didn't exist then, Spielberg took liberties in Last Crusade. Just look at how many factual liberties he took in a movie set in 1938 with German uniforms, weaponry, ZEPPELINS STILL FLYING, INDY NOT BEING BLINDED BY PETROLEUM.

:D

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Knifedaddy said:
Thanks for the responses. Looking at those pictures I wondered, what "killed" the top hat look? Will top hats ever be back in style? (Aside from rocker Slash wearing one).

Well, it's been said before, Kennedy killed the hat! He all but refused to wear his top hat for his inauguration and seemed to be the death knell for top hats.

leon.jpg
Leon Russell
drjohn.jpg
Mac Rebennack
elton-tophat.jpg
-Reg Dwight

Perhaps 'Slash' will revive the trend, although some of these guys have failed previously!

-dixon cannon

Jovan

Suspended
Dixon Cannon said:
Well, it's been said before, Kennedy killed the hat! He all but refused to wear his top hat for his inauguration and seemed to be the death knell for top hats.
That is a wrong and dangerous misconception. Hats were on the decline for a few decades before Kennedy was the last president to wear a top hat.

It was a number of factors including -- but not necessarily limited to -- automobiles, haircuts being more of a fashion thing, WWII, etc. Like the armholes debate, you can't really point to one smoking gun... to think one man held that gun seems, to me, a bit silly. Especially considering the same thing happened overseas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112