Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesco Highliner Boots (RW9710) for Street Use.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey guys.........Would you wear the Wesco Highliner Boots for everyday wear? These boots have the extra slab of leather on the insole as well as small steel inserts attached to the sole for protection while engaged in tree climbing (trimming) or pole climbing (lineman).

I do not participate in these activities. But these boots are the perfect fit and are extremely comfortable, I'd like to use them for everyday wear.

What would you do? They are the redwood color.

Regards,
coffee

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Coffee,

Might I suggest the Jobmasters? I'm not sure if there's anything different besides the extra piece of leather and metal bracket. I could be wrong, but other than that, they're essentially the same boot.

However, I'm with ButteMT61. If you like 'em, get 'em. I have the Boss boots, and I'm not the boss :)

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Hey guys.........Would you wear the Wesco Highliner Boots for everyday wear? These boots have the extra slab of leather on the insole as well as small steel inserts attached to the sole for protection while engaged in tree climbing (trimming) or pole climbing (lineman).

I do not participate in these activities. But these boots are the perfect fit and are extremely comfortable, I'd like to use them for everyday wear.

What would you do? They are the redwood color.

Regards,
coffee

Wear em.... If you're feeling that they're too much like work boots swap out the normal laces for some black ones to tone them down a bit. My fiance hates my dark brown work boots with standard laces but loves them with black laces - go figure. I'm happy to wear comfortable boots...

Can you remove the trimming by the toe-box without it being obvious that it was there? I've never taken the trimming off a Highliner so I don't know if the sole color is uniform under the steel plate. I like the uniqueness of the trimming near the toe but I'd still remove it because with my luck I'd kick the finish off every table leg and chair I encountered.

For those who don't have a Wesco dealer nearby - The extra bit of leather in the Highline soles provide some additional arch support and sole stiffness. The Jobmasters don't have quite the same amount of arch support built into the sole. This difference in the arch is very noticeable between the two boots so if you have a chance to compare before buying it may make a difference to you. The Highliner/Jobmaster difference is standard on stock boots but the customs are made-to-order so you can get them made how you like. Cheers

too much coffee

Practically Family
Coffee,

Might I suggest the Jobmasters? I'm not sure if there's anything different besides the extra piece of leather and metal bracket. I could be wrong, but other than that, they're essentially the same boot.

However, I'm with ButteMT61. If you like 'em, get 'em. I have the Boss boots, and I'm not the boss :)

Yeah, you're right Seawolf about the Jobmaster boot. The situation is though I have a NIB pair of Highliners bought for a song on the 'Bay sometime ago. Maybe I'll just sell these and start over. Thanks for the advice.

Regards, coffee

too much coffee

Practically Family
TSA would likely freak out on you if you tried to fly in them

Yes Traut you're right; they would freak out. Course nowadays they come unglued pretty easily. It's not the grunt's fault doing the "where the rubber meets the road" job, but the senior leadership (Dept. of H/Security.........my old Governor is the Honcho)
is lacking in common sense and can only respond with a Band-Aid fix to a non existent problem.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Wear em.... If you're feeling that they're too much like work boots swap out the normal laces for some black ones to tone them down a bit. My fiance hates my dark brown work boots with standard laces but loves them with black laces - go figure. I'm happy to wear comfortable boots...

Can you remove the trimming by the toe-box without it being obvious that it was there? I've never taken the trimming off a Highliner so I don't know if the sole color is uniform under the steel plate. I like the uniqueness of the trimming near the toe but I'd still remove it because with my luck I'd kick the finish off every table leg and chair I encountered.

For those who don't have a Wesco dealer nearby - The extra bit of leather in the Highline soles provide some additional arch support and sole stiffness. The Jobmasters don't have quite the same amount of arch support built into the sole. This difference in the arch is very noticeable between the two boots so if you have a chance to compare before buying it may make a difference to you. The Highliner/Jobmaster difference is standard on stock boots but the customs are made-to-order so you can get them made how you like. Cheers

Wow coloradorider....great points that I didn't know. Thought about the removal of the plate and the instep material. Probably would work. The plate is just nailed into the existing sole which would have the same color throughout. Interesting about the laces also.
More ideas to ponder. Thanks for the reply!

Regards,
coffee

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I have been meaning to reply to this for a few days. How tall are the boots? I think more tahn 10 inches would drive me nuts. Both my Whites and my Nicks lace-ups are 8 inch heights.

I prefer the look of the Jobmaster myself, but I totally understand getting a great deal on something that is close like the Highliner. I would be ok with them as long as they're not too tall and I would remove teh steel plate. The extra leather might be good for riding a motorcycle (it's kind of like a shifter pad).

How is the Redwood leather on yours? I saw a pair in redwood when I drove up to Wesco. Sometimes it looks nice, but sometimes I think it can look a little plasticky (I saw the same thing at Whites when I was up in Spokane last month). I really want to get a second pair of Boss engineer boots in Redwood, but I'm on the fence about the leather.

Last edited:

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of jobmasters in redwood and burlap roughout, the color is fine...especially with some dirt on them.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Great looking boots, feltfan.
As for polish, your boots look they're used as a dress street boot. How about a Kiwi neutral polish?
If your Vibergs and any other Wesco's are used for work.......I'd recommend Obenauff's Heavy Duty LP boot grease for leather maintenance and water repellency.

Again, bitchin' boots.

Regards,
coffee

too much coffee

Practically Family
I have been meaning to reply to this for a few days. How tall are the boots? I think more tahn 10 inches would drive me nuts. Both my Whites and my Nicks lace-ups are 8 inch heights.

I prefer the look of the Jobmaster myself, but I totally understand getting a great deal on something that is close like the Highliner. I would be ok with them as long as they're not too tall and I would remove teh steel plate. The extra leather might be good for riding a motorcycle (it's kind of like a shifter pad).

How is the Redwood leather on yours? I saw a pair in redwood when I drove up to Wesco. Sometimes it looks nice, but sometimes I think it can look a little plasticky (I saw the same thing at Whites when I was up in Spokane last month). I really want to get a second pair of Boss engineer boots in Redwood, but I'm on the fence about the leather.

Hello jimmer_5;

Good advice.............if I keep 'em, I'll remove the steel plate. They're 10" boots. I'll swap out the laces too but keep the kelties.
The Redwood shade on my boots are very good looking. I've seen Wesco's this color with some age and wear on them and I think they look great. They darken up a bit and look super.

Thanks for the information.

Best regards,
coffee

too much coffee

Practically Family
I have a pair of jobmasters in redwood and burlap roughout, the color is fine...especially with some dirt on them.

So overall you like your Jobmasters? How old are they?
And I agree, get some character marks and dirt going on along with a little honest wear and the redwood stands alone on its own merit, not taking a back seat to any other color.

Best regards CodeRed,
coffee

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
The jobmasters are a really great boot, albeit very heavy duty. Mine are about a year old. I think that a White's bounty hunter might be a better everyday boot...slightly lighter weight, but still very substantial.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
to simply answer your question: no I would not. Just because I think they are too heavy and the style is too steam-punk-ey for me. If that's what your after, then they're definitely better quality than any of the items the local goth store might offer.

I found these boots while shopping for my fall trip to Europe. We plan on lots of walking, and I'm sure it will be rainy at times.
I liked the first pair so much, I got a second pair in a darker color. Maybe not in the same league as Whites, or Wescos, but they had the look I wanted and are extremely comfortable right out of the box. We'll see how the hold up, but at this stage, I love the look and comfort.
They're "Rockport Trail Cap" Boots.
* Apologies for putting these in your thread - say the word and I'll delete them ASAP. -Scott
caramel1.jpg

caramel2.jpg

pinecone1.jpg

pinecone2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points