Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested Doctor Who Jackets

91_Mustang

New in Town
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member to the Fedora Lounge and am seriously considering purchasing a Wested Doctor Who Jacket. Based on the many photos of Doctor Who / U-Boat jackets that I've seen in other threads the Wested version appears to be the most screen accurate available at a reasonable price.

Could any of you out there that own the Wested Doctor Who jacket comment on how well your jacket has held up over the years? Also, I'm wondering if you can provide me with additional details that the Wested website doesn't provide for this jacket. I'm curious as to whether the Wested Doctor Who has any inside pockets, what type of lining material is used, how heavy the leather is, and how the actual sizing runs. Gemma over at Wested has been kind enough to answer a couple of questions for me but I don't want to keep bothering her with tons of emails. I thought it might be more beneficial to check with the experts on this site to see what their actual experience has been. Please reply if you have any helpful information on this jacket.

Thanks,
91_Mustang

91_Mustang

New in Town
Thanks gentlemen for the suggestions. I've checked out the Bad Wolf jackets and they do appear to be very nice reproductions but unfortunately are much more expensive than I can afford. I've also looked into Magnoli's U-Boat version and Wearwolf's similar double breasted jacket. Here's how the number shake out after conversion to US Dollars with today's exchange rates:

Wested - Doctor Who Standard $267.30
Magnoli - Doctor Who Goat $391.94
Magnoli - Doctor Who Cowhide $541.59
WearWolf - Doctor Who Leather Choc. Brown or Black $495.72
Bad Wolf Doctor Who $769.50

I'm sure the quality will vary accordingly with the prices but the best bang for the buck seems to be the Wested.

I'll send Gemma another email to see if she can tell me whether their jacket has any inside pockets and whether or not they can do any custom options such as a pre-distressed black.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I'm sure that Magnoli would do it cheaper in goat, if you'd like that. Cowhide is among his more expensive hides. Have you asked him?

91_Mustang

New in Town
Yes. I've exchanged a few emails with Magnoli. He's been very professional and quick to respond to all my questions. The goat is $150 less than the cowhide according to his website but the total package still comes in around $400 USD which isn't too bad for a tailor made jacket but it is a good bit higher than the Wested.

91_Mustang

New in Town
After spending several weeks evaluating all the pros and cons I decided to purchase a customized version of the Magnoli U-boat Jacket instead of buying the Wested Doctor Who Jacket. From what I could tell the Wested seemed very nice for the money but it did not incorporate all the screen accurate features that I was looking for in a replica Doctor Who Jacket.

Indy Magnoli responded quickly to all my questions and he was willing to incorporate my custom requests into his standard design so that the end result would be very screen accurate. So after documenting my custom specifications and doing lots of tedious measuring, I took a big step of faith and placed my order with Magnoli Clothiers earlier this week. I'm hoping that everything will turn out well and that I'll have a very nice replica jacket sometime in the next eight weeks. Once it arrives I'll post a detailed review in a new thread here in Fedora Lounge.

greeny

Familiar Face
Look forward to seeing it. I've always liked that jacket and when I found out it was a German u-boat coat I realised they are fairly easy to find in my neck of the woods. Nearly picked an original off ebay.de, but in the end decided the style probably doesn't suit me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner