Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested leather suede jacket, tan or navy?

Laurus

Familiar Face
So I have a conundrum, I'm not sure whether to get this jacket in tan or navy.

I usually wear rather dark jeans and shirts so I was leaning more towards tan. What do you guys think?

the-james-bond-tan-morocco-jacket-spectre-007-style-made-with-soft-tan-suede-_5B2_5D-3500-1-p_...jpg
View attachment 442093
received_1415940048890107.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Both look good. If you wear brown boots all the time, I'd go tan; the blue will work with either brown or black leather. Course, if you don't mind mixing these things, that opens it right up.

Laurus

Familiar Face
Both look good. If you wear brown boots all the time, I'd go tan; the blue will work with either brown or black leather. Course, if you don't mind mixing these things, that opens it right up.
I would go with tan. As you say it will contrast better with your jeans and it is a classic look.

Just as an aside, I've heard suede can be a bit of a pain in the ass, is it difficult to care for or do people tend to exaggerate? Either way, do you guys have any tips in general when it comes to suede, and more specifically Tan coloured suede? Thanks.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I like the tan from a looks perspective against the navy jeans.

That said, tan suede may show a lot more wear, stains, etc. However if you are careful with it, should be fine.

Edward

Bartender
Just as an aside, I've heard suede can be a bit of a pain in the ass, is it difficult to care for or do people tend to exaggerate? Either way, do you guys have any tips in general when it comes to suede, and more specifically Tan coloured suede? Thanks.

As @HoosierDaddy notes, suede is definitely much more high maintenance than leather. It's really down to the individual whether it's worth the extra hassle or not. It's certainly not wipe-clean the way "normal" leather is. I'd treat it more like velvet - i.e. I wouldn't be keen to wear suede anywhere that a velvet jacket would be too risky from a dirt perspective. A model like the Aero Majestic with the smoothe leather collar will avoid getting a grubby neck over time better than a suede surface, I suspect; If I was ordering one of these, I'd also be tempted to see if it would be possible to have the cuffs done that way too.

Regarding stains, having it treated with some sort of Scotchguard / water & dirt repellant product, much as you might a pair of suede brogues, would be a good idea.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not a suede man. Too hard to take care of. Stains and dirty areas are a trademark of most wear over time .
Nice to see you back here HD!
I would have to agree with this. I have a couple pairs of rough out boots and they definitely show they’ve been worn a lot. While I like this look on my boots I don’t think I would dig it as much on the sleeves and cuffs of a jacket.

Metatron

One Too Many
Tan is more versatile and 'down to earth' while navy is more suave. But I prefer suede in a day to day rather than fancy context, so tan is my choice.
As for taking care of it, buy a kiwi suede foam cleaner and a brush. A small amount of cleaner and brushing will take care of most issues. I also think a bit of wear has to be embraced, like normal leather.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Did you end-up ordering the tan? Custom or OTR? Review?

I just rewatched Spectre, so naturally I want the jacket now! :)

There is actually a more accurate copy of the original Matchless jacket made by Royale Filmwear available. But the movie colour tones have so many warm filters that it looks far to pale compared to what we see on the screen - so the Wested looks more ‘screen accurate’.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ