Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Westerns for people who don't like Westerns

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't sure what to title this thread and I am sorry if it has been braught up before but here goes.

Are there any movie Genres you generally dislike?
Of those Genres are there any movies that are so amazing you like them anyway?

I generally dislike Westerns and War Movies, but I love, High Noon, Stage Coach and The Sun Shines Brightly. I really want to see Westward The Women.
My Favorite War Movies are Heaven Knows Mr. Alison and Wings. I like alot of films that have WWII as a setting but I don't think they are consdered war films (Cry Havoc, So Proudly We Hail etc...).

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, I can't stand westerns...except for...

A Fist Full of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
High Plains Drifter
Hang 'Em High
Pale Rider

You can probably see the pattern there.

Feraud

Bartender
Undertow said:

A Fist Full of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
High Plains Drifter
Hang 'Em High
Pale Rider

You can probably see the pattern there.
How about Unforgiven?

Hondo

One Too Many
Italian westerns don’t do it for me, probably due to over the acting, as a kid growing up with TV, I enjoyed those family westerns like Roy Rogers on Saturday mornings, western action without blood, adults go for the blood and gore.

Hondo said:
Italian westerns don’t do it for me, probably due to over the acting, as a kid growing up with TV, I enjoyed those family westerns like Roy Rogers on Saturday mornings, western action without blood, adults go for the blood and gore.

You don't like Sergio Leone movies?! Heresy I say! ;) :p
I love the Man with No Name series. If Leone was still making movies, I would not be so scarcely seen in theatres today.
Bring Eastwood and Eli Wallach out of retirement. We need just one more movie from them. :D

ukali1066

Practically Family
I'm a bit of a Western history buff, I love the following movies..

Lonesome Dove....a brilliant mini series/film, Robert Duvall's career best

Broken trail....another Duvall movie, a wonderfully tender film

Open range....my man Duvall again, and Kev Costner at his finest

Tombstone...not strictly accurate but hugely fun take on Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday

Unforgiven....It's Clint for goodness sakes !....show's the mean, dirty badness that was the outlaws life...

Dagwood

Practically Family
Undertow said:

You may want to consider adding The Searchers, staring John Wayne, to your Clint-filled list. One of the best movies in any genre.

Bebop

Practically Family
I love westerns and constantly complain that there are no more western movies made. If you don't like westerns, Brokeback Mountain is sort of a western with a theme that has little to do with classic westerns :eek: . Many people that hate westerns loved Brokeback Mountain. I thought it was a great movie but I want my classic western to return.

I have not enjoyed an animated movie since I was 6 years old. Cartoons with voices of well known movie stars just put me to sleep. :rolleyes:

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I usually don't care for noir-ish crime films, but This Gun for Hire is one of my all-time favorite movies, as is Mildred Pierce, but I don't think of it as being about crime, it is more soap opera.

Trixie

One of the Regulars
I usually dislike idiotic, obvious comedies. Any movie where I know the line before they say it even though I’ve never seen it before. These movies usually star Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, or anyone from Saturday Night Live. But that movie Benchwarmers is so hilarious to me. I can’t get enough of it. I have watched it about 10 times and I still laugh out loud every time.

Hondo

One Too Many
Mr Powers: There are other Italian westerns besides Sergio Leone, I'm not sure about names off hand, although Eastwoods were always cool,
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
I think a few of you are off the loop a bit with regards to westerns [huh]
As a kid I enjoyed singing cowboys/cowgirls movies, gun play with no blood lol
What an innocent time or era, what really is sad, is todays youth never saw or felt this growing up.
Hey! I know it all sounds so corny todaylol

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.

Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
I generally dislike war movies, but I loved Saving Private Ryan, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Tora, Tora, Tora.

Like Trixie, I also dislike most dumb comedies, and I really can't stand Chevy Chase. A big exception: Three Amigos. Steve Martin is brilliantly funny, and for some reason, even Chevy doesn't irritate me. (I suppose this crosses genres w/ Westerns, too!)

Boris K

One of the Regulars

I can't say that I don't like Italian westerns per se. I do have to say that I saw the Clint Eastwood / Sergio Leone movies as a youth and NEVER even suspected that they were set in the US west.

Open Range was one of the better westerns in relatively recent years, IMO.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Ukali hit it on the head!!

An excellent list!!

Open Range ROCKS!!!

I'll also add:

Conagher: with Sam Elliot
Quick and the Dead: With Sam Elliot
Last Stand at Saber River: Tom Selleck
Return to Lonesome Dove: Not bad of a sequel!!
Barbarosa: Willie Nelson (Not great, but kind cool and gritty!)

However my all time favorite western movie is actually the mini series Lonesome Dove with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones... There are other great actors in there, But they make the show!!! I could put the tape in and just let it play for hours.... We've personally worn out two vhs tapes and now working on the DVD... However the DVD dosen't play straight through without episode breaks...Which kinda ruins the flow of the story!

LD was originally written for John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and Dean Martin!!

They also finally finished the prequel called Commanche Moon. Which happens just before Lonesome Dove!!!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've yet to see a western that pleases me. I can only think of one: the 1930 William Haines movie Way Out West, which is more of a comedy/parody.

As a whole I don't usually like war movies, either, but I do LOVE LOVE LOVE The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse (1921) and The Big Parade (1925). I cried at the end of both.

I don't like film noir, either. :eek: I've yet to see one that I really enjoyed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points