Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What’s your heaviest leather jacket and how much it weigh?

Roll2me

Familiar Face
This is my first leather jacket. Schott 673 waxy cowhide. Heavyweight.

I am really surprised when I receive the package. Fedex weight 7.6 lb but I assume it’s because of boxe weight + other stuff.

Yesterday I try to weigh using pull up weighing scale. To my surprise it measure at 3KG!

Here’s the pic

8ea35ab62669eba9c6bf8062a6be5675.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a thread where folks list all of their jackets along with how much each weighs. Pretty cool thread that I need to update. But I can’t find it right now.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a good one. I've handled a few Schott jackets made with thick/heavy leather, and a surprising number of supposed-to-be MC jackets by Schott that felt distressingly thin. I always prefer the beefy stuff.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm boring on this but I don't like heavy leather. It never feels comfortable and it is unnecessary. My heaviest is a Vanson that weighs 5.5 pounds. My preference is for jackets no heavier than 4 pounds. That's why I go for goat and mid-weight horse and prefer 2.2 to 2.5 oz thick.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I've had two over 10 lbs - an Aero Bootlegger at 11.0 lbs and a Gibson & Barnes Coronado that also weighed 11.0 lbs. Both were just a little too much, and both are sold off now. Read about the Coronado here, mine is about 1/2 way down the first page. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...oronado-motorcycle-jacket.60479/#post-2244805

I do prefer a rather heavy jacket, say 6.5 - 8 lbs, as it just feels more comfortable overall to me. Plus with the winds we get, especially in the seasonal change times from fall to winter, they keep out the wind like no other. It's a highly subjective topic here.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I'm in the same boat as many others. I "had" a heavy beast before coming to my senses. 10.5 lb SB half belt in Horween black Bison. Broke in nice and supple but was like holding a weight plate when taking it off and placing on the hanger. Though I probably would have kept it if I didn't have a closet full of other options. First world problem

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'm boring on this but I don't like heavy leather. It never feels comfortable and it is unnecessary. My heaviest is a Vanson that weighs 5.5 pounds. My preference is for jackets no heavier than 4 pounds. That's why I go for goat and mid-weight horse and prefer 2.2 to 2.5 oz thick.

I have the same view. My deerskin is surprisingly heavy, but very pliable with great drape (so it doesn’t feel like you’re fighting with at every move). Otherwise, I prefer goat and cape.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like my leathers to have a minimum of weight to them, some sort of presence when you wear them. How heavy is at least heavy enough? Difficult to tell outright, it would depend on the type of leather, but I would suspect at least a mm thick.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like my leathers to have a minimum of weight to them, some sort of presence when you wear them. How heavy is at least heavy enough? Difficult to tell outright, it would depend on the type of leather, but I would suspect at least a mm thick.

Yep... that's 2.5oz and plenty thick enough.

zebedee

One Too Many
I am also - after wearing both for quite a while - more of a fan of the mid-weight than the heavier hides in general, even in very cold weather. Aero's mid-weight hides are thick enough for most occasions without restricting movement.

Yep, while I appreciate the heft of Horween FQHH that Aero uses, I prefer the mid-weight hides (Shinki, Connolly, vintage, whatever Thedi uses, and deerskin). On my journey I’ve also discovered that I prefer Steerhide to Horsehide for the way it breaks in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB