What’s your heaviest leather jacket and how much it weigh?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Fortehus, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Fortehus

Fortehus Familiar Face

This is my first leather jacket. Schott 673 waxy cowhide. Heavyweight.

I am really surprised when I receive the package. Fedex weight 7.6 lb but I assume it’s because of boxe weight + other stuff.

Yesterday I try to weigh using pull up weighing scale. To my surprise it measure at 3KG!

Here’s the pic

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JMax

JMax Call Me a Cab

There is a thread where folks list all of their jackets along with how much each weighs. Pretty cool thread that I need to update. But I can’t find it right now.

3. Guppy

Guppy Call Me a Cab

Looks like a good one. I've handled a few Schott jackets made with thick/heavy leather, and a surprising number of supposed-to-be MC jackets by Schott that felt distressingly thin. I always prefer the beefy stuff.

sweetfights likes this.
  4. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm boring on this but I don't like heavy leather. It never feels comfortable and it is unnecessary. My heaviest is a Vanson that weighs 5.5 pounds. My preference is for jackets no heavier than 4 pounds. That's why I go for goat and mid-weight horse and prefer 2.2 to 2.5 oz thick.

Dr H likes this.
  5. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Disregarding weight, that's a really nice jacket and a perfect fit.

Fortehus likes this.
  6. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

I just threw on my heavy horsehide CHP from Lost Worlds and it weighs in just under 10 pounds.

ton312 and Fortehus like this.
  7. Fortehus

Fortehus Familiar Face

Damn! You sure it doesn’t moo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imuricecreamman and ton312 like this.
  8. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

11lb Aero steer 50’s HB. Heaviest I’ve ever handled. No point in anything this heavy or heavier
    0A18DD4C-A532-44DA-8689-DC67C59F27BF.jpeg AD3987B7-2712-4865-B565-420E077B33F4.jpeg

9. xtopherus

xtopherus New in Town

Two contenders for me, but they're "light" relative to some of the others in this thread.

Aero Kudu Dustbowl:
    IMG_20190716_211935.jpg

Schott CAF-1 (heavy steer version):
    00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190716212111460.jpg

El Marro, sweetfights and Fortehus like this.
  10. Dav

Dav One Too Many

My beast, heavy Steerhide Aero Cheyenne, size 40 IMG_20190717_081148-2736x3648.jpg IMG_20190717_081237-2188x2917.jpg

Non of this really means anything though as a size 36 in the same jacket would be lighter and a 46 heavier, we need an equation, like weight divided buy chest or something.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  11. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

I've had two over 10 lbs - an Aero Bootlegger at 11.0 lbs and a Gibson & Barnes Coronado that also weighed 11.0 lbs. Both were just a little too much, and both are sold off now. Read about the Coronado here, mine is about 1/2 way down the first page. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...oronado-motorcycle-jacket.60479/#post-2244805

I do prefer a rather heavy jacket, say 6.5 - 8 lbs, as it just feels more comfortable overall to me. Plus with the winds we get, especially in the seasonal change times from fall to winter, they keep out the wind like no other. It's a highly subjective topic here.

12. red devil

red devil One Too Many

JMax and Fortehus like this.
  13. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

I'm in the same boat as many others. I "had" a heavy beast before coming to my senses. 10.5 lb SB half belt in Horween black Bison. Broke in nice and supple but was like holding a weight plate when taking it off and placing on the hanger. Though I probably would have kept it if I didn't have a closet full of other options. First world problem

Dbrn and AeroFan_07 like this.
  14. Dr H

Dr H One Too Many

I have the same view. My deerskin is surprisingly heavy, but very pliable with great drape (so it doesn’t feel like you’re fighting with at every move). Otherwise, I prefer goat and cape.

Seb Lucas likes this.
  15. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

That has remained one constant in my relationship with leather jackets. I only truly like extremely heavy leather. I think it's more important to me than the style of a jacket.

roadking04 and JMax like this.
  16. red devil

red devil One Too Many

I like my leathers to have a minimum of weight to them, some sort of presence when you wear them. How heavy is at least heavy enough? Difficult to tell outright, it would depend on the type of leather, but I would suspect at least a mm thick.

17. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yep... that's 2.5oz and plenty thick enough.

18. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

I am also - after wearing both for quite a while - more of a fan of the mid-weight than the heavier hides in general, even in very cold weather. Aero's mid-weight hides are thick enough for most occasions without restricting movement.

19. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Yep, while I appreciate the heft of Horween FQHH that Aero uses, I prefer the mid-weight hides (Shinki, Connolly, vintage, whatever Thedi uses, and deerskin). On my journey I’ve also discovered that I prefer Steerhide to Horsehide for the way it breaks in.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  20. JMax

JMax Call Me a Cab

My heaviest jackets:

LW CHP: 7.6 lbs
    Cal LAPD: 7.5 lbs
    LW PJ27: 7.31 lbs
    Branded Garments NYPD: 7.3 lbs
    Cal LAPD: 7.1 lbs
    Vanson E: 7 lbs

Most of my jackets are between 5 - 7 lbs.

El Marro likes this.