Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the choices for thin ribbon lovers?

Chinaski

One Too Many
I have an Open Road, and when creased in a teardrop or diamond bash it just doesn't look right on my head. Take a look at BobC's avatar sometime - he's wearing his Campdraft (and wearing it well, I might add.) Looking at it head on, the crown is very square - not really any taper. I love that look, but that look doesn't love me!

Now, I can just crease the OR with a center dent and front pinch, and it tends to taper the sides a bit (when viewed from the front,) but my question is, what other thin-ribbon hats are out there that might have a little more taper?

These are all pretty similar:

Stetson Open Road
Akubra Campdraft
Borsalino Allesandria
Resistol San Antonio

What other options are out there? Apologies if this territory may have been covered previously on the Lounge...

Chinaski

One Too Many
Then perhaps a summary of your knowledge on the topic...as I said, I like the thin ribbon of the OR, but not in a teardrop bash on my noggin. It appears to be much too straight up and down without any taper.

Are there thin ribbon hats with a bit more taper than the Open Road or other hats I mentioned?

Are you talking vintage Open Road? Miller's Douglas is a modern OR type but seems to be pre-creased as a teardrop. Beaver Brand makes a modern version that is on the list mentioned above, only seen it in a cattleman crease like modern OR. In the modern Stetson thread there was an open crown modern OR looking hat that may have more taper.
You need to post some photos to see what your problem with your OR seems to be.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
You need to post some photos to see what your problem with your OR seems to be.

I'll bet you look better than you think, Chinaski. If it looks good we'll say so and if it looks bad we'll fix it.

...and hey, can we see your Lawson some time too ;)?

Chinaski

One Too Many
CRH - a kind offer and kind remarks! I have no doubt about the knowledge base here with regard to hats. I think I'm getting old enough I don't lie to myself anymore. The look of the stovepipe straight sides of a Campdraft/OR with a teardrop/tugboat crease don't fit me. For now you'll have to take my word, but someday I'll post pics, as I realize - "This thread is worthless without pictures." I'll get that Lawson up one day, too.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Since most thin ribbons are related in some way to cowboy hats, I don't think you'll have much luck. The only one's I'm aware of that have taper are some more recent borsalinos.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:
Since most thin ribbons are related in some way to cowboy hats, I don't think you'll have much luck. ...

I'll just take my liberty and rephrase this such that 'most 20th century hats' take their heritage and style from 19th century hats ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto