Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the Oldest Objects you Own?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I searched for threads like this on the Fedora Lounge and I failed to find one. I apologise if there is one already, but it didn't turn up in my search-results.

I'm interested in finding out what are the oldest objects that you own?

This is, without a doubt, my oldest object:

DSC08025.jpg

It is a portable writing-case manufactured by the great, late Toulmin & Gale company of London, England. It dates to ca. 1862.

All fittings in the box are original with the exception of the pen and the inkwell-insert. I was originally told the box dated to 1900, but I recently found information that led me to believe that it was significantly older, to around the time of the American Civil War.

So, what are the oldest things you own?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple items about the same age, a valentine card sent to my great grandmother in 1857 (or 54, hard to tell from the tiny writing), and a little diary, never used, with neat little clasp and a tiny mechanical pencil, from 1864.
Hmmmm . . . I gotta see if there's anything older in the family archives.
There used to be, and I haven't seen it in years, a volume of La Fontaine printed in 1723 that my mom bought at a Paris book stand in 1937.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I have a coin of Constantine the Great, which probably is the oldest. Some medieval artefacts, too. A couple books from the 1850s.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Just so long as you have the two that count.

But yes, this thread was really meant for things like antiques. Not fossils. Man-made stuff. Jewellery, books, antiques, etc.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
An Oriental rug and a Chinese screen, both from the early 1700s. And a table that might be older though it has a dubious provenance.

DNO

One Too Many
A miniature landscape on ivory together with an ebony and mother of pearl box containing sewing items dating from the last quarter of the 17th century.

An 1804 model Royal Navy cutlass actually produced in 1804.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fossils aside, I have a counterfeit British halfpenny dated 1737 -- these were more common in the Colonies than the real ones during the years before the Revolution. Probably the oldest thing I have that's still in regular day-to-day use is my great-grandmother's breadboard, which most likely dates to the 1880s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider