What Are You Reading

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by Lancealot, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Knott's Preserved: From Boysenberry to Theme Park, A History of Knott's Berry Farm
    Picked it up at Knott's Berry Farm yesterday

[​IMG]

2. Lucky Girl

Lucky Girl New in Town

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I recently subscribed to a magazine about vintage/retro life called Reminisce. I love it and I think all of you will too!

3. this one guy

this one guy Familiar Face

"Selected Writings of Herman Melville"

I am pleasantly impressed with several of his stories that depart from sea themes.

4. hatguy1

hatguy1 One Too Many

Just finishing "Countdown to Valkyrie" regarding the July 20, 1944 plot to kill Hitler. Quite informative. Far more detailed understanding now than just the movie gave me.

5. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo's The Man Who Went Up in Smoke.

6. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

My latest batch of welcomed distraction:

At day's close : night in times past / A. Roger Ekirch
    Sensory worlds in early America / Peter Charles Hoffer
    The presence of the past : popular uses of history in American life / Roy Rosenzweig and David Thelen
    The last of the doughboys : the forgotten generation and their forgotten world war / Richard Rubin

7. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

Deleted: double post.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  8. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Hamlet

9. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Day Keene's, Bring Him Back Dead. A vastly underrated pulp writer from yesteryear.
    :D

10. tuppence

tuppence Practically Family

Errol Flyns , 'My Wicked, Wicked Ways' found a second hand copy for $1.50 in an op shop.

11. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

You'll love it. Bloody funny in parts too ;)

12. Late to the Party

Late to the Party Familiar Face

The Nile by Emil Ludwig. 1937
    Translated to English
    Pretty prose.

13. Colorado by William MacLeod Raine. "Drap that gun." lol lol

14. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Walter Brennan?
    :D

15. John Boyer

John Boyer A-List Customer

Collected Stories of Sherwood Anderson

Eugene O'Neill: Beyond Mourning and Tragedy by Stephen A. Black

16. I said I was reading it not watching it. :p I didn't know they made a movie of it though. :p I think I might have seen it but it sure isn't like the book. And it was Gabby Hayes. :p

17. DeeDub

DeeDub One of the Regulars

I'm in the last couple of chapters of At Dawn We Slept: The Untold History of Pearl Harbor by Gordon Prange. It's a long read, practically an hour by hour account of the year or so prior to the attack, followed by a thorough account of the several investigations by the Army, Navy, Congress, and others. A book like this could get bogged down in details, but it was written in a way that kept me going, hoping for some answers to the questions that kept coming up. In the end, it doesn't come down to a simple matter of one or a few people screwing up. There were systematic failures all over the place, any one of which wouldn't have been fatal by itself, but together these failures deprived us of every opportunity to put up a better fight from the beginning.

I started At Dawn immediately after finishing Day of Infamy by Walter Lord. This turned out to be a good choice. The first book was the briefing that prepared me for the second book. Lord included more stories of individual sailors, soldiers, and civilians during the attack and less of the investigations in Washington after. Both are enjoyable reads, but unless you're interested in all the intricate details of diplomacy and military preparations on both sides, Day of Infamy is probably the better choice.

18. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Hi, I just finished "Ripley Under Ground," which is the second in the Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith. Until my girlfriend gave me a copy, I had know idea that the Ripley books were a series. It's a fun, fast read, with some nice vintage / time travel feel to it: The challenges of making a transcontinental phone call to the fading-by-not-gone concern about unmarried couples checking into hotel rooms give you a bit of a trip back in time and remind you, again, of how much has changed. I also recently finished "Operation Storm," which tells the story of the Japanese Navy's attempt to build a submarine capable of launching a air attack on America in an attempt to both take back the offensive and be able, at minimum, to negotiate a better peace.

19. cw3pa

cw3pa A-List Customer

Finished "A Serpent's Tooth" by Craig Johnson last night. The latest Longmire mystery. Pretty good read with a few plot twists.

20. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Prange's work is considered the definitive account of Pearl Harbor; another good read is
    Ladislas Farago's The Broken Seal;while Herbert O. Yardley's The Education of a Poker Player
    is a tangent card-and-code memoir.