What Are You Reading

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by Lancealot, Aug 13, 2006.

1. scarletgrenadine

scarletgrenadine New in Town

The Known World by Edward P. Jones and A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan.

2. cw3pa

cw3pa A-List Customer

Tom Brown's School Days, by Thomas Hughes. I wanted to see Flashman's origins.

3. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Finished Bruno Fischer's The Lustful Ape a couple of days ago and started Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain.

4. madame babette

madame babette New in Town

I just finished reading LEE MARVIN, POINT BLANK by Dwayne Epstein. Fascinating insight into one of my all time favorite actors. Aside from learning about his harrowing WWII experiences, his acting background, and some cool anecdotes about Hollywood actors and directors, I liked learning that Lee was very much into his personal clothing in real life and that he was involved in his own film costuming as well. What a man! A fascinating read on all counts, and great fun too.

5. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Just finished Raymond Chandler's Farewell My Lovely

6. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

I'm about 3/4 through the third volume of Robert Caro's wonderful biography of Lyndon Johnson. It's a rare biographer who isn't in love with his subject. Caro is a wonderful story-teller, an inexhaustible researcher, and shows Johnson warts and all, and he isn't shy about showing the warts.

7. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Will read Caro. Thanks for the tip.
    My team medic once served as LBJ's personal nurse at Walter Reed Army Hospital and the White House,
    and came away from presidential service with a less than favorable impression of the man.

Alan Paton, Too Late The Phalarope

8. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

It's going to be either James Ellroy's L.A. Confidential or something by Raymond Chandler.
    :D

9. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Reading Chandler's The Long Goodbye.

10. John Boyer

John Boyer A-List Customer

The Selected Letters of John Keats: Selected and with Introduction by Lionel Trilling; and

Gentry Magazine #3 (Summer 1952)

11. Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia Call Me a Cab

I'm reading an Inspector Maigret mystery by Georges Simenon.

X
    BD

12. Talbot

Talbot One Too Many

The Complete Cases of Max Latin, by Norbert Davis. One of the great mid century pulp detective writers.

A very enjoyable read.

13. hatguy1

hatguy1 One Too Many

I'm reading Mark Shaara's latest Civil War novel A Blaze of Glory. I'm so excited he's started another CW series. He's focusing on some of the forgotten battles of the War in the west. Blaze focuses on the Battle of Shiloh, TN. A Chain of Thunder covers Grants Vicksburg campaign and seige. Don't know what his 3rd and 4th in the series are titled or the subjects thereof. But, I'm excited to have fresh stuff of his to read.

14. celestial

celestial Familiar Face

15. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Which one? He is one of my favorites. I discovered just this morning that three of his Maigret stories are being rereleased next year.

16. Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia Call Me a Cab

I just finished 'Maigret Rents a Room' - it was great! It's the first of read of Simenon's. I hope to read more soon. Re-released you say? I must check those titles out!
    X
    BD

17. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Acquired Giacomo Leopardi's Zibaldone; edited by Michael Caesar and Franco D'Intino.
    Keats and Leopardi shared a core melancholy, though more evident with Keats; whose scribed epitaph sears heart and soul.

18. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Massimo Mandolini Pesaresi, Grecian Vistas, Giacomo Leopardi and Romantic Hellas as prologue to the Zibaldone, which is monstrous.:)

19. Touchofevil

Touchofevil

Fortunately, his works are pretty easy to find whether it be a paperback or an e-reader format. Enjoy!

20. cw3pa

cw3pa A-List Customer

Finished rereading the first installment of the Flashman Papers. The delopement at the duel is quite good, and of course there's Flashman's survival at Piper's Fort. Nothing like a bounder that makes good in spite of himself.