What are you wearing today??

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by moustache, Nov 21, 2006.

1. avedwards

avedwards Call Me a Cab

You're probably right about the picture. The lighting was quite poor, as it was raining and we were under shelter, so the only light was the a little bit of natural light coming in from the side. My suit also seems to have turned from a smooth gabardine weave to a rough flannel.

And what am I in the picture? Or were you too busy admiring how wonderful the ladies look ;)?

2. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Nice worker style ArrowCollarMan

AntonAAK great summer outfit! I need some light colored suits too. Boater and bowtie are perfect too

Nazarin: The suit seems to have good lapels for a modern one. I assume you like the dark colors but maybe a splash of white or color would look great too.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

[​IMG];)

[​IMG]

4. avedwards

avedwards Call Me a Cab

Looks like an unusual but tasteful summer suit. Had you not told us its age I would have guessed early 50s. The '80s and '90s brought out quite a few classic looking DB suits, which make a good Golden Era look if worn with the correct accessories (like you have).

5. Nazarin

Nazarin New in Town

@ Flat Foot Floey.
    Do you mean that the lapels are broad? I thought that a timeless combination of classic white shirt with striped jacket would look classier and more formal.
    @ Tomasso: Thank you for your help. :)

6. AntonAAK

AntonAAK Practically Family

Many thanks. It's a shame we didn't get the summer weather to go with it but we soldiered on.

7. AntonAAK

They do. I'm wearing a 1980s DB suit from M&S today in a grey POW check which looks pretty classic and is one of my most-worn suits. Accessories make all the difference. I don't have much genuine vintage as I am a large size and it's harder to come by and more expensive but we can still make an effort with what we can get.

8. chanteuseCarey

chanteuseCarey Call Me a Cab

AntonAAK, you look FABULOUS darling!! Good for you wearing it on the commuter train- you were no doubt the looker.

btw, I love your tagline too- I'm stealing it:)I get tired of people always asking me why I'm 'so dressed up' - as in I'm overdressed compared to them and the rest of the herd- I usually reply with "because I can", or "because I feel like doing it" I even get comments sometimes just for wearing a dress or blouse and skirt to ballroom/social dance class these days- sheesh. This coming from folks that don't even know what a ladies slip is, let alone why a gal would wear such a thing. My female ballroom dance teacher (who always wears pants) that I TA for, calls me "the skirt".

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. chanteuseCarey

chanteuseCarey Call Me a Cab

Yesterday evening: its still TOO DARN HOT- so I donned the one piece Speedo suit, a Body Glove rashguard shirt, my swim shoes for wearing to do AquaZumba class in the outdoor pool at the YMCA at 6:30pm.

Yesterday day: After the morning workout doing free weights, had some cleaning chores to do here, so I just stayed in my workout clothes (black UnderArmour shorts and purple s/s UA v-neck top) until early evening.

10. AntonAAK

Many thanks. It's only taken me two years to make my first post in this thread. I normally shy away from cameras.

I know how you feel. I am the only person in my office wearing a suit and tie amidst a sea of denim and polo-shirts. Let's not let them get to us. Some of us have to keep up standards!

11. WOW. You all look amazing :D

12. What a perfect look..... :)

By the way, you remind me of a famous actor from the Golden Era, but I can't put my finger on it.

13. AntonAAK

Why, thank you.

Rin Tin Tin? ;)

14. Edward

Edward Bartender

It is a fantastic suit. Not often one sees a Summer suit with a DB jacket - really stands out. Great colour too.

lol Quite! Somehow, though, this is the one we'll all always remember..... I had feared it might be a bit less fun because of the rain, but I think the sense of carrying on despite inclement weather actually added to the event. I had a whale of a time. Planning next year's outfit already, with every intention of defending my jousting title.... ;)

15. Here in the U.S.A., Jos. A. Banks sells one: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_100129

Wait 'til the end of summer, when it will inevitably go on sale.

The Devil's advocate, with eyebrow arched, would say that double-breasted seersucker mitigates the fabric's purpose: to beat heat.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  16. :eeek: How did you know? ;)

Seriously, when I remember I'll let you know :)

17. avedwards

avedwards Call Me a Cab

I can see where that argument comes from, but a DB summer suit will still be cooler than a SB heavy weight wool suit. Plus it looks good - Jack Nicholson's 3pc DB linen suit in the beginning of Chinatown looks amazing even if it is the most illogical suit ever.

18. Kabel

Kabel Familiar Face

Smite if needed. Shirt is from H&M, jeans from the Pilot brand and the shoes are black suede winklepickers from Taft. I'm on a student budget, my money goes to rent and food. I'm saving up to get a proper pair of black and white wingtips and a pair of classic worker boots and then it will probably be budget still, haha.

[​IMG]

19. Berlin

Berlin Practically Family

Very nice, Kabel!
    (Good to see someone from the Netherlands on here, too!)

20. Kabel

Kabel Familiar Face

Thank you Berlin.

No a lot of Dutch people on here, i take it?