Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favorite Vintage Restaurants?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Please share the name, location, year established, and brief description of your favorite vintage eateries that are still in operation.

My top three would have to be:

1. Omni Hut, Smyrna, Tennessee. An original tiki bar/restaurant that's been under the same ownership since it opened it's doors in 1961. The place is an absolute time capsule.
bilde
82eb87150d222c7466f7544d7590099a

2. Elliston Place Soda Shop, Nashville, Tennessee. It's remained largely unchanged since it opened in 1939.
th
6956624192_d4aed78bf7_z.jpg

3. Trowbridges Soda and Sandwich Shop, Florence, Alabama. Operating since 1918. They still make all their own ice cream in-house and claim to have invented the flavor orange-pineapple. They serve some of the best chili dogs and chicken salad sandwiches in the World.
DSC_040717661DSC_04072011-03-04Trowbridges.JPG
c14c920bd1e145d32b17cec27051d390.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for putting the Omni Hut on my radar Matt.
I've been to Elliston Place many times, try to hit it any time I'm in Nashville, and Trowbridge's once, years ago. Florence as a whole is pretty much a time capsule, or at least it was last time I was there.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Thanks for putting the Omni Hut on my radar Matt.
I've been to Elliston Place many times, try to hit it any time I'm in Nashville, and Trowbridge's once, years ago. Florence as a whole is pretty much a time capsule, or at least it was last time I was there.

I've been going to both Elliston Place and Trowbridge's since I was a very little kid, and neither has changed much at all in the time I can remember. I was a bit disappointed the last time I was in Trowbridges that they no longer have their servers wear vintage-style waitress uniforms. I guess some things have to change for practical reasons. Back in the early '90s when I had my office in Florence, right down the street from Trowbridges, I would have lunch there at least once a week.

I discovered the Omni Hut just a few years ago in book called Tiki Road Trip, a state-by-state guide to Polynesian Pop and Tiki culture. Been there several times since. I guess it's the closest authentic tiki bar around, although Trader Vic's in Atlanta might be closer for you.

The Arcade (Since 1919, renovated in 1950s) - Memphis, TN.

arcade1.jpg
arcade3.jpg

3rd Street Diner(Since 1926) - Richmond, VA

diner1.jpg

Ben's Chili Bowl (Since 1958) - Washington, DC

bens1.jpg
bens2.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
In Cincinnati, there's only one left downtown that was here in the '50's (and earlier): Arnold's, on 8th Street, between Main and Sycamore, north side. So sad that it's the only one left in a town this size.

Maury's Tiny Cove, out on the West Side, on Harrison Avenue, is the only other one and it's not downtown.

Last edited:

DharmaBum

One of the Regulars
The Crystal Restaurant in Watertown, New York. Opened in 1919 it has been operated by the same family since 1944. The interior is virtually untouched since the 1930s. The food choices are classic and the prices are vintage too! My wife and I go every Sunday for breakfast....I can enter in a flat cap or fedora and patrons don't even give me a second look...feels natural in this establishment. During Christmas season they offer a "Tom and Jerry" cocktail....it's a north country tradition here in New York.

Crystal 1.jpg
Crystal 3.jpg
Crystal 2.jpg

Phillipe's, an L.A. tradition since 1908. They've been at their present location since 1951. Philippe's claims to have invented the French Dip Sandwich, which at any rate, is out of this world!

philippe-the-original.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Here's my favorite vintage San Francisco restaurants.

Tadish Grill, 240 California St. between Battery & Front. Established in 1849, Tadish has been at its current location, a mid-1920 building, since the '60s. I recommend the sand dabs.
Tadich-Grill-Outside-Shot-Professional.jpg

Tadich-interior.jpg

Far East Cafe, 631 Grant Ave. between Sacramento & California. In business since 1920, this place doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside its 1920s Chinese style interior is completely preserved, right down to the private booths! The food is on par with any of the touristy spots in Chinatown.

5481254968_b0f913846f_z.jpg

x4GYi8ZZx8_2G78yECexR2IepiYvaXerDq-N_7XJPo0.jpg

House of Prime Rib, 1906 Van Ness Ave. between Jackson & Washington. This place has been a red meat eater's heaven since 1949. There is also a really cool bar attached to the restaurant too, complete with 1940s plaid carpet. For the wine drinker, House of Prime Rib has a really excellent cellar, with a heavy emphasis on reds of course!

house-of-prime-rib-san-francisco-ca-usa-restaurants-10best-users-recommend-1550855_28_550x370_20111026090909.jpg

House+of+Prime+Rib+Dining+Room.jpg

Tommy's Joynt, at the corner of Geary & Van Ness. Established 1947. This is a super fun cafeteria counter style lunch spot. Even though it's a bit touristy, lots of locals still go there. In true San Francisco style, it's cash only.

Tommy%27sF.jpg

tommy-s-joynt.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my favorite vintage San Francisco restaurants.

House of Prime Rib, 1906 Van Ness Ave. between Jackson & Washington. This place has been a red meat eater's heaven since 1949. There is also a really cool bar attached to the restaurant too, complete with 1940s plaid carpet. For the wine drinker, House of Prime Rib has a really excellent cellar, with a heavy emphasis on reds of course!

I have eaten here, and I must say it was a great experience!

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
The Fleur de lis Roman Style Pizza. While it has only been a restaurant since 1946, this building has been around a long time. This was a service station, then grocery, speakeasy, cocktail lounge, and now pizzeria. There used to be a motel behind the cocktail lounge.

This is an artist rendition from when it was a cocktail lounge.

Now:

I love that the neon is the same with just the addition of Roman Pizza and Air-conditioning. The bar is still there and was brought over from the Dixie Brewery in New Orleans in the 1940's.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I'll have to check out some of those left coast locations but here's my vote ...

Keene's Steakhouse, NYC Built in the 1880s, in what was then the theater district.

120816050424-restaurants-keens-moose-room-horizontal-gallery.jpg

NYC_Keens__0001_2-1160x619.jpg

Those things on the ceiling are clay "churchwarden" pipes, too fragile to be transported far. They still have on display pipes belonging to Teddy Roosevelt, Babe Ruth, Will Rogers, Billy Rose, Grace Moore, Albert Einstein, George M. Cohan, J.P. Morgan, Stanford White, John Barrymore, David Belasco, Adlai Stevenson, General Douglas MacArthur and “Buffalo Bill” Cody!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Crosby's Drive-In, in Bucksport, Maine. In business under the same family ownership since 1938, still in the original low-slung asbestos-shingled shack. No indoor seating, no dopey retro kitsch, no self-consciously ironic menu -- just simple chicken-in-a-basket, hamburgers, New England-style hot dogs, fried clams, fish and chips, ice cream and milk shakes, sold at honest prices to people who just want something to eat. My kind of place.

crosbys-drive-in-235877.jpg

Crosby's Drive-In, in Bucksport, Maine. In business under the same family ownership since 1938, still in the original low-slung asbestos-shingled shack. No indoor seating, no dopey retro kitsch, no self-consciously ironic menu -- just simple chicken-in-a-basket, hamburgers, New England-style hot dogs, fried clams, fish and chips, ice cream and milk shakes, sold at honest prices to people who just want something to eat. My kind of place.

Though not as old, it reminds me of Buddy's Drive In in Andrews, Texas:

IMG_27942.jpg

You can get your steakfinger basket, then discuss how many fingers ought to be in a proper basket (I say six, but others argue for only four):

thumb_600.jpg

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I love Musso and Frank's in Hollywood, the 21 Club in New York, the Taddich in San Francisco on the fancy side--for casual food, give me the Apple Pan, the Old Town Bar and Grill or the Colonial Kitchen any day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points