Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your hobbies?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Pricey Hobbies

Have any of you ladies stopped and thought about how much one's hobbies actually cost? In my experience I've found that a lot of my hobbies that I jump into with so much zeal end up being a little bigger than my budget and they tend to get set aside for longer periods of time than I would like. I am a very creative person and I like to make things with my hands.

Over the past few months I have taken up sewing again as one of my favorite hobbies. In researching vintage patterns I have come across so many wonderful resources for making your own corsets and coats. I would LOVE to do both but I'm not the greatest seamstress and for the cost of materials I couldn't easily jump in and give a try and start over when I messed it up. Next came dollhouse making. I LOVE building things and working with wood. I also love things in miniature form.

:eek:fftopic: On the flip side I also love little things in big forms such as the needle and button outside of the World Apparel Center in NYC. :eek:fftopic:

Unfortunately I came to discover very quickly that dollhouses cost a lot of money especially when you want to meticulously lay down every single shingle lol yourself.

Lastly, I have looked into hat making because it is difficult for me to shop for a vintage hat online because I don't know how it will look on me. Why not make the hats myself, sounds like fun. Also sounds like a lot of $$. So I set the idea aside for now to be revisited at a later financial date.

Maybe this was too long... I'm bored... and I haven't gotten to the most important part! What are some hobbies that you ladies do that sometimes makes your wallet a little light but are always worth it because you love to do it. Aside from buying vintage clothing which is pretty much a given in this forum lol.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I can totally feel with you! Since I started sewing and realised what beautiful patterns are out there I spend waaaaay too much to buy them!!! I try not to buy them all the time, but than there is an hour where I have nothing else to do and I start to browse ebay or all those places with the pretty patterns and BANG... another bunch of bucks is gone lol

Also beeing a pin up isn´t the chapest hobby after all cause I tend to buy clothes that I´m unlikely to wear in daily life and can excuse myself with "I´ll wear it for a shooting some time". Well, let´s say I had to shoot wayyyyy more often than once a week to get through all my outfits... but I love them too much to sell them.

I´m interested in making hats like you are, but I first want to learn to do my clothes and that I´ll give the hats a try... I saw soooo many cute Vintage Vogue hat-patterns..... :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
My goodness yes....

-Photography - started as a hobby, then I started doing portraits on commission and then started doing a few weddings. After a year I realize I haven't the time or the energy to take on the weddings by myself, and can't afford to hire any one for help. Now I just do the occasional senior or family portrait session here and there, mostly for friends and family members. I try to do some personal projects on the side, which is another thing I have a hard time keeping up with. My last project was to document all the deteriorating barns and farmland of Indiana - I got a few subjects out of it and a full feature in the local paper, but interest from others dropped so I moved it to the back burner.

-Scrap-booking - well, scrapping, anyway. I feel overwhelmed at the thought of actually making an entire scrap book, so I usually focus on one page at a time. Or ATC (Artist Trading Cards), or greeting cards, or bookmarks. This is a recent hobby I've picked up and I try to stick with smaller projects that I know I can finish in an hour or two.

-Jewelry making/Beading - I love this hobby, but it's getting a little out of hand! I've made so many pieces that I don't know what to do with them any more. I'm my own worst critic and can't possibly believe for a minute that any one would want to buy them, so I've passed on many a craft bazaar opportunities, rather foolishly, I might add. Perhaps some day I'll get the gumption to see if any one would buy my wares! :) These projects are best for me as they are mostly earrings or bracelets and take any where from 15 minutes to a couple hours, but once I get started, I'm in the zone!

And then there is this Vintage obsession of mine! Thankfully I've become quite a tight-wad when it comes to eBay shopping - I've watched quite a few auctions slip away because I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to fork over the cash for the item, later kicking myself for it! I'm afraid what will happen once I get the hang of using my sewing machine - patterns galore! Again, I'll have to limit myself to things that can be started and completed in a reasonable amount of time, because once I walk away from it, chances are it won't be touched again for another week...and then a month...and then...:rolleyes:

GOK

One Too Many
I don't tend to have much time for hobbies these days but I suppose of those I do still have, videogaming and Live Roleplaying cost me the most. The former is not so expensive due to still having lots of contacts in the industry, which means I still get a lot of free games! :D

With LRP though, aside from the cost of weaponry and props, there's the kit. For normal run-of-the-mill ongoing games, I can get away with my basic outfit...

DSC00192.jpg

But for banquets, special events and non-standard games, it often costs me a small fortune to get kitted out! I made an Italian renaissance gown/headdress for one event last year, which ended up costing me £120! And the event was rubbish too! lol I must actually get some photos done.

Sunny

One Too Many
My real hobby is Civil War reenacting. I can't imagine how much it's cost me in the last ten years, or especially the last four or five that I've really been trying to do authentically.

The material for my dresses is actually the most reasonable part. It's the authentic boots, the bonnet forms, the coverlets, the crinolines, the corsets, the glass/china buttons, the boning, etc., that add up so quickly. I really need to get some dishes, for example.

And I'm still using my family's camping kit, so I haven't even bought my own canvas tent, lumber, or other camp "furniture."

Is it worth it? All that work, to look like this:

2006-12-Tintype-Ginger-Color.jpg

That's a tintype. Here's "real color":

P1010032cropped-1.jpg

Is it worth it? lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've had to go completely cold-turkey on hobbies since my job troubles started, and I really hadn't realized how much I was spending on them until I stopped. I was in the habit of surfing eBay most every night, and tended to grab for any patterns that caught my eye -- $10 here, $10 there, and it really did tend to add up. Plus on top of that I've always been a fiend for old magazines and books that I managed to justify by saying "well, they're all research material for my writing and I can write them off my taxes," even though I rarely did, and those added up fast too.

And let's not even mention shoes as a hobby. A terrible money-sucker.

The most frustrating thing is now that I can't afford to spend a red cent on myself I'm seeing more and more things that I'd buy immediately if I could. No doubt by the time I get back on my feet again all that prime stuff will be long gone...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess I could call my PEZ collecting a hobby. Yup, those little candy dispensers that used to only cost a .25 and are now as high as 1.80 in some places. I don't spend a lot of time doing it. I am more interested in vintage dispensers. Up until last year I bought every set that was introduced, in every country. Yes, PEZ are different in different countries. The European ones are worth more in the states, and vice versa. I know that their have been a lot of new releases over the past year, but I've been spending so much time on the vintage thing that I pushed PEZ to the side. Poor little guys:( But, the new ones are easy enough to get. I just hope I can still get some of the limited edition ones, those are hard to come by. As of now I have a little over 700 dispensers, both vintage and new. My most valued: A 1974 Mickey Mouse (the year I was born) and a guy named Mr. Ugly who I have had trouble dating, but know that he is worth a nice bundle. I also collect all things PEZ related, like calendars, mugs, I always try to get my hands on the displays they come in. Just as a little PEZ information, ebay was founded so people can trade PEZ. Although I try not to buy my PEZ there now, for the prices go way too high, and they can be bought quite easily at other on line outlets. Unless it's something vintage, then I more than likely will get the best price on ebay.

I guess I also have a bit of a designer handbag problem (I know from other threads how some of you feel about these bags!:)) I've bought five in the past year, ooops. I just can't help it, I really think I might have an addiction. Ask Hemingway Jones, he's been in the store with me. He say's that when I walk into one of their stores, my face lights up and I go into a trance. I honestly don't know why! But, I've promised myself that I need no more! How many handbags can a gal need? Although the Louis Vuitton store near us has train cases and steamer trunks........hmmmmmm......just like what they used in "An Affair to Remember". But really, the small trunk is an amount of money that I would never spend, I think you can buy a pretty nice car for the price of it! I'll stick to my bags, for now. And I'm gonna have to stay out of all those stores if I'm gonna stay true to my "no new bags" motto. It's hard, because the mall that I frequent has Gucci and LV right next to each other, and they're right near the entrance so I have to walk right by them. Oh, and Neiman's is right across from them, and they have quite the collection of bags too. I think I have an addictive personality. I seem to never be happy with just one!:D

GOK

One Too Many
Daisy said:
a guy named Mr. Ugly who I have had trouble dating

lol lol lol

Sorry...that was begging to be quoted!

As for the designer handbags - you do what you do, Sweetie; it's not for anyone to judge you. I hope you didn't think I was doing that back in the other thread? :(

Pez - I had absolutely no idea people collect them! Do show us some of your collection, please! :D

Sunny - WOW!!!! You look fab...and so does your gown!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Ugh. Yeah. I have too many hobbies. Collecting hobbies is my biggest hobby. I'm obsessed with them ... worlds ... places to retreat to ... they're convenient holes in my brain that are always open to go into whenever there comes a time in the day when I have nothing to do. I'm very good at waiting in lines because there's some project waiting to be thought about.

My most expensive one is cosplay. I think my last two costumes cleared 1000, and I haven't even gotten the wigs made yet. But I think the asian ball-joint dolls are gaining quickly and will power past cosplay soon. If I can avoid getting any more dolls and just stay in maintenance then it will be OK. On the plus side, the dolls let me make tiny versions of the fancy outfits I want to do. (So I'm trying to think of them as an initial investment that will save time and money in the end). Pin-up modeling is pretty bad, particularly since I'm still paying for pictures. And I had a webcomic for a few years ...

RPG books aren't too bad, but conventions for all of the above are really bad since airfare is at least 150/person and the hotels are usually around 400 for the weekend, and that doesn't include con badges or anything. Le siiiighhhh.

BV - not to mention the horseback riding.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
My real hobby is Civil War reenacting. I can't imagine how much it's cost me in the last ten years, or especially the last four or five that I've really been trying to do authentically.

The material for my dresses is actually the most reasonable part. It's the authentic boots, the bonnet forms, the coverlets, the crinolines, the corsets, the glass/china buttons, the boning, etc., that add up so quickly. I really need to get some dishes, for example.

P1010032cropped.jpg

Is it worth it? lol

I knew absolutely nothing about the American civil war until I read a book last week called "The Widow of the South" which was a fiction based on a real lady in Franklin. It was really fascinating, and sad about how brutal that battle was. I think you look really great and seeing your pictures has brought the heroine of the story to life for me!

Amelie

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
I think I have an addictive personality. I seem to never be happy with just one!:D

Oh I sooo much understand you! Fortunately, I don't have the money to buy designer handbags, cause that would totally ruin me... :eek:

Anyway I am still spending a lot on lingerie fine, which probably cost me more than 1000$ last year ( And I am a student, I don't really get more than 6000$/year) But it's so difficult not to buy models that I like... There is some models that I know are going to show up on ebay, but there is some others already hard to get three weeks after they are in the store... And then I have to say to myself: no you don't need to spend 300$ for a bra and a tanga from Lejaby... :eek: (and I don't have any boyfriend to show it ! lol)

I am also spending a lot on books and magazines (new or old ones)... books on fashion history will loose me :( (and my taste for costumes themselves too)

And I think I have quite been collecting MAC makeup since octobre... I must have spend almost 650$ since then...

I really don't know how I manage to buy all this with my limited budget lol

And oh Sunny. That is just awesome... I wish I'd be able to do such dresses!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
A pricey hobby I would like to indulge is tattoos. Designing and getting them! I have a couple of unfinished ones and would like more (at odds with wanting to look vintage I suppose but I've never been a conformist!) but never have the funds. I think I like buying clothes, shoes and handbags more and never seem to have any money left over for anything else.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Books get me into real trouble, especially ebay cause they have really nice old ones, I love books from the 1800's, anything antique, signed, first edition, I love 'em and if I can afford it I usually buy it, not good when you're supposed to be saving $30 000 for school.:(

I have about $200 dollars plus invested in a quilt that is almost done, I just don't have time for it anymore. Now I have some afghans I want to crochet, I just need to get the patterns, materials and learn how!lol

Amelie

A-List Customer
CanadaDoll said:
when you're supposed to be saving $30 000 for school.:(
OH MY :eek: I am so happy that school is so much less expensive here!! :eek: It's about 2500$ a year, plus books. I would probably be dying if I had to pay 30 000$ :eek:

GOK

One Too Many
BettyValentine said:
My most expensive one is cosplay. I think my last two costumes cleared 1000, and I haven't even gotten the wigs made yet. But I think the asian ball-joint dolls are gaining quickly and will power past cosplay soon. If I can avoid getting any more dolls and just stay in maintenance then it will be OK. On the plus side, the dolls let me make tiny versions of the fancy outfits I want to do. (So I'm trying to think of them as an initial investment that will save time and money in the end).

Oh wow - please, please post some photos of your costumes! Some of the cossies I've seen have been magnificent, especially some of the Final Fantasy ones.

P

Paul

What would you do if you did not have a hobby, I bet we all know some one who has not got a apparent hobby, So what every your hobby I thing is good going fishing, or collecting anything so what.
Personally I look upon it like this if I did not have a hobby then I would go around the bend, so what is the price for keeping yourself sanity.
The way I look at it that with vintage fashions apart from the history, and having nice things. You can also share your enjoyment with others been able to let it bee seen, which you cannot get with all hobbies.
Also you have to wear something so wearing vintage you may save on not having to buy as many modern clothes, Can any one of you honestly say if you did not have vintage bug then you save money by not spending as much money on modern fashions instead.
If it make you happy then how can you put a price on that.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Photography, I suppose is one of my most expensive hobbies, but I can write it off to my parents as being part of my schooling! Plus, it's not a year round thing for me (unfortunately, I wish I were more active with it).

I would say collecting vintage ANYTHING is my most expensive hobby byfar, especially when it comes to things that I'm truly obsessed with, like girdles and vintage lingerie! Because of that obsession I even ended up joining the Dita Von Teese site this month just so I can look at all of her photos for fashion inspiration (quite a few of them aren't even nude, it's just her posing in delicious clothing!). I have a couple of exquisite girdles that don't even fit me, but I don't want to get rid of! It's crazy, especially since I'm on a student's budget.

Liz

My expensive hobby is record collecting. When I started, I bought all of my records from flea markets and garage sales for next-to-nothing. Then I discovered record shows. I'm embarrassed to admit how much money I've spent on records from shows! Between those and Ebay (where people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a single 45), I hardly have money for my vintage clothing addiction! My New Year's resolution was to stop spending so much on records, but I can tell that's going to be very hard for me!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
How many handbags can a gal need? Although the Louis Vuitton store near us has train cases and steamer trunks........hmmmmmm......just like what they used in "An Affair to Remember". But really, the small trunk is an amount of money that I would never spend, I think you can buy a pretty nice car for the price of it! I'll stick to my bags, for now. And I'm gonna have to stay out of all those stores if I'm gonna stay true to my "no new bags" motto. It's hard, because the mall that I frequent has Gucci and LV right next to each other, and they're right near the entrance so I have to walk right by them. Oh, and Neiman's is right across from them, and they have quite the collection of bags too. I think I have an addictive personality. I seem to never be happy with just one!:D

I just had to answer your question, Daisy .... a gal can NEVER have enough handbags. I too have a designer handbag obsession which I've quit cold turkey for a good year which is AMAZING. I still get the shakes when I walk by Dior... That's why I've completely forbidden myself from going anywhere near Copley Place and I KNOW it's hard to avoid that entrance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21