Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your sunglasses of choice?

Powerband

Practically Family
I’ve had these forever. Goes with every jacket.

8bc91c443252bbf32f022777e67bfb2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Thread re-starter. Photo already used in "What jacket are you wearing today" thread.(sorry!)
Schott 641HH at Jindalee.jpg

Sunglasses of choice (yesterday) were late 70's Bausch & Lomb Ray Ban Balorama (Dirty Harry style !)
Lucchese Classic Roper boots , and Australian made Levi 604 jeans. Schott 641HH Horsehide café racer
( no longer any manufacture of Levi products in Australia , "globalisation" or some chit !)
I buy them used now from ebay/Gumtree/Thrift stores whenever I spot tem in 36W/34L

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I can't believe that I haven't posted in this thread before. Sunglasses are absolutely essential to me and I am extremely particular about them. Not only do I live in sunny Southern California where sunglasses are a necessity pretty much all year, I absolutely despise bright light and I while I have not been diagnosed with any sensitivity to it, it does bother me greatly. I know it is a faux pas, but I wear my sunglasses into basically all grocery stores, malls, shopping centers, Target, etc. The overhead lighting is just too bright for me so I need the sunglasses on. Additionally, even in cloudy weather I feel that I need my sunglasses on. I do not walk outside without sunglasses on, even to get something from the car. If I had to choose between wearing leather jackets or sunglasses, I would have to choose sunglasses.

As of now, all of my sunglasses have glass lenses. Having worn so many sunglasses, my experience tells me that glass lenses are more clear than plastic lenses and I know for sure that they are more scratch resistant.

My 'cheap' sunglasses are a pair of Oliver Peoples Clifton glasses. They are made in Italy and are not as nice as the made in Japan glasses. I wear these daily to work and do not worry about them getting beat up, but they have been perfect so far.

My 'nice' pairs are all made in Japan including Oliver Peoples Victory and Oliver Peoples Benedict. I know that Oliver Peoples is owned by Luxottica, but their lenses are still proprietary and extremely good - glass lenses that are polarized on my three pairs. The Benedict and Victory are both made with Titanium and made in Japan and are top quality. It's not as though Luxottica has manufacturing facilities in Japan, these are holdovers from when OP still made (I think) everything in Japan.

My other pair is a pair of Globe Specs Cozumel Uno glasses. This is an independent brand from Japan and these have glass lenses. They are more of an oversized 70s style and are a nice contrast to my other pairs. My reading/vision glasses are also from Globe Specs and they are called the Reggie and are a beautiful dark navy color.

Next on my list are a pair of Dita Flight 004 glasses even though they have plastic lenses. I just love the design and losing weight has made it easier for me to wear traditional aviators and look decent in them.

Oliver Peoples Cliftons:
WodBvvF.jpg

Oliver Peoples Victory:
U4Qlc7c.jpg

Oliver Peoples Benedict:
Af106vw.jpg

Globe Specs Cozumel Uno:
n2cElW3.jpg

My perscription lenses- Globe Specs Reggie:
hVFU2Sm.jpg

My favorites used to be the Victory by far, but after beginning to lose weight, I think the Benedict are my favorite on my face now which is why I am looking at grabbing the Dita Flight 4s.

CYuLPKK.jpg

KQ0TjUR.jpg

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I like Oakley glasses but from the 90s especially the X metal collection.

I often wears my Mars Craters I also have a Jordan’s Mars edition in mint condition but they don’t have prescription lens so I don’t wear them and I try to keep them in this state.

579e3d58b4ee0d9c5d8f6215165f6f96.jpg

64443c3dc8016e3304532d92bf9c5bbf.jpg

And for my prescription glasses those are Lunithe glasses, a French company they make frames with vintage vibes. They are flexible and lightweight with screwless hinges

c6c51e08030c35b067c8aac692d693d6.jpg

The violet tint is because they are transition lens (Flash to Mirror) and when there is a lot of light they transition to mirror sunglasses.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I had a cheap pair of sunglasses here and there as a kid. Never anything branded - probably just as well. By 13, I'd decided Aviators really weren't me. Still don't much care for them, despite having had my regular glasses in an aviator shape for a couple of years in the mid eighties (yeah, the eighties. Yuck.). Though I do like some very limited types - basically the more early 30s / RAF looking style, with the much rounder lenses.

About a dozen years ago now, around 06-08, I wore contact lenses quite a lot and so picked up a few pairs of sunglasses I wore then. That would have been my early thirties; between then and sixteen I had relied solely on transition lenses in regular glasses. A few pairs of browline-types, couple of Wayfarer styles. Not much interested in any other type then. I had one pair of "vintage" Wayfarer 1 knock-offs that were in glossy black with purple lenses that I was very fond of wearing with a leather jacket. Very Elvis Costello. Then I went through about six months of planning to have laser treatment on my eyes, and so I also picked up four or five pairs of Raybans. Never got the laser (found glasses I like instead), though I still have the Raybans, which I really should sell. Couple pairs each of Clubmasters and Wayfarers, mostly still boxed. The Wayfarers include a pair branded for the 84 Olympics (unknown when I bought them on eBay, otherwise I wouldn't have been interested, though probably to my advantage now when it comes to selling). Toritiseshell, that pair; most Wayfarer types I owned and wore were black, but sometimes you want to be Jake, not Elwood...

Once I started getting glasses I actually liked - mostly Shuron Ronsir Zyls, and similar browline styles - I lost interest in sunglasses again. The transition lenses filled that niche. On a whim about two years ago, and for want of more than one pair I liked the look of in Specsavers at the time, I picked up a pair of dedicated prescription sunglasses, my first ever such. I've found them surprisingly useful when I'm outside all day here and there this last couple of years.

IL is perhaps the only zero helmet law state. I’m in the seemingly 12% minority that always wears one. If I’m wearing my Biltwell Gringo without a visor I can still get away with the Wayfarers around town. Terrible on the highway. For that it’s a full face helmet with a built in internal flip down sun visor. In my opinion it’s the best developement in helmet technology since switching from leather.

The Gringo is a nice looking helmet. Quite fancy one now they've got the ECE version.

I have several sets of Maui Jim's sunglasses which my optician said has the best lenses in the industry. My favorite are the Mavericks with gray lens and titanium frame.

Lenses are the key. An optician once told me not to waste my money on Raybans if all I wanted was the frame to have prescription lenses put in, as their real vaklue is in the lenses.

Ahhh..."Rose tintit' specs" , mah favourite..

If they're good enough for Joey Ramone....

I try to get "cool wans" , but now at work my (younger) colleagues reckon I look like a "hipster"..

This gettin' old is a pure hump..What is a "hipster" anyways ?

I think we kicked that definition to death in a thread on here a few years ago, but suffice it to say the TL/DR version is that a hipster is someone who dresses justl ike us, except they do it ironically. ;)

I am convinced it was the 100% switch to computer admin at work ( and every other effing place !) that tipped me over the edge vis a vis reading spectacles. Fixed focal length for hours on end being the problem..

Just been in the opticians this week and they told me that's exactly my issue - an average of seven hours a day in front of a screen.

I've also now been told the dreaded Varifocals will be necessary in about two years' time!

These are very cool; remind me of some more traditional Inuit sun goggles I've seen.

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
Ray-Ban Generals. I wore American Optical Pilot sunglasses for over a decade. I liked having aviators that weren't the classic teardrop shape that I'd see everywhere. But they were kind of heavy. These have a similar aesthetic and are comfortable enough that some days I have them on from sun up to sun down and don't notice them. And I love Ray-Ban's green G-15 lenses.
Screenshot_20200106-112518_Gallery.jpg

I don't wear sunglasses but I'd love to have the Terminator 2 Persol shades.

This gettin' old is a pure hump..What is a "hipster" anyways ?

I don't think hipsters exist anymore. Hipster thing, whatever it even used to be in the first place, died out. Clothes we talk about here went mainstream long ago. I don't think you can be a hipster, even if you tried.

Edward

Bartender
I don't think hipsters exist anymore. Hipster thing, whatever it even used to be in the first place, died out. Clothes we talk about here went mainstream long ago. I don't think you can be a hipster, even if you tried.

Oh, they very much do still around here, though a lot of them have moved on from the vintage workwear to what they call "normcore". Basically they wear less Buzz Rickson, more The Gap.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
DSC_0076 - Copy.JPG

Ray Ban Clubmaster. Even my "normal" daily clear lens are these in a slightly different color combination. This pair is a black aluminum pair which are uniquely cold in the winter, and very warm to the touch in the summer if left in the car. Live & Learn :)

Certainly seems Ray Ban's are popular on here.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Taken while out and about today. A pair of early 80's Ray Ban Balorama in "cerise" !
OK well 'pinky/purple' then , I still like them haha...Bad selfie taken by me. Taken off to set up the phone camera then popped back on squinty a wee bit..
Simmons Nebraska 1.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
I wear AO Aviators, Rayban Caravans and have a pair of Oakleys.
(btw if anyone wants a pair of Rayban Caravans, new with box, please let me know. I have a spare pair. Looking for circa £50)

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Aero Blue label Highwayman in Brown Steer ( ex Alex Lutov of St Petersburg Russia !)
At Wifeys Birthday breakfast down in Fremantle Western Australia.
(Photo already used in "What jackets"...thread)
My shades are 1980's Bausch & Lomb Ray Ban Balorama in "Dirty Harry" black , wifey's are 80's Wayfarer Max.
Both USA made in Rochester NY
Gregg and Aileen.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21