What can black or brown do for you?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Jrolfe, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Jrolfe

Jrolfe One of the Regulars

Black and brown jackets will probably never go out of style, but some of the manufacturers out there are going crazy with all sorts of colors. It’s hard to keep up. Red, russet, oxblood, cordavan, yellow, midnight blue, ... I recently seen a “olive” from Aero. I actually really dig the color! Not over the top & loud, well maybe for some but I think it’s cool! What are your guys thoughts about this? 06A562E4-76AC-4482-91BC-56879B416A92.jpeg

2. Bobby Peru

Bobby Peru One of the Regulars

I’d wear it if it was closer to olive drab (darker).

3. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

Agreed. I prefer the olive shade from Tenjin works because this is too light for me, but still cool.
    [​IMG]

marker2037, Monitor, Hh121 and 3 others like this.
  4. Bobby Peru

Bobby Peru One of the Regulars

Shoes too. There are some nice boots out there using olive leather (e.g., Viberg’s waxed flesh service boot from last year).

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  5. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

on my screen that looks more sage or melon than olive, I like olive color that has some brown/ tan hue and darker

Hh121 and Benny Holiday like this.
  6. Cyber Lip

Cyber Lip Practically Family

I like it, but I look terrible in light colors

7. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

In general, I prefer more natural looking colors. Granted, black is not really a natural color, and most of the browns we see are dyed that color. I like colored leather to be an off-brown, like what cordovan and russet are, basically brown with a touch of red or purple.

The olive color from Freewheelers is a lot more interesting to me, it's darker and almost brownish. After you see this color, I don't think you can ever go back to the olive green that LW or Aero offer and seriously consider it. But that's just me.

imgrc0078797775[1].jpg

Fanch, Tusche, nick123 and 6 others like this.
  8. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm conservative - I wear mainly black clothing. It means I don't have to think about what I wear and I don't much like colour. Plaid or checks makes me nauseous. I would wear a dark olive or navy leather jacket (but I wouldn't bother to order one) and I do wear darker browns but most of my leathers are black. Brown jackets often remind me of the 1980's Indiana Jones, Banana Republic flight jacket look.

9. dudewuttheheck

@Guppy yeah I really love that dark olive Freewheelers leather. Unfortunately that model did not fit me well, but the leather was awesome in person too.

10. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Badalassi
    [​IMG]

I do prefer leather in black and dark browns. I’m not really draw to other colours. Burgundy leather I like to look at but I’m not sure I’d enjoy wearing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Dav

Dav One Too Many

I thought exactly the same regarding burgundy until I got some boots, my opinion has changed though now I love it, not been brave enough to order a jacket yet though. My biggest concern was that it wouldn't go with my brown jackets, wrong it works with all of them.
    As for others colours, I really like the olive, Aero showed a beautiful B-10 in it a while back that I really liked, still not ordered yet though.

Mich486 and Benny Holiday like this.
  12. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

I rrally like the original post olive. I also really like the premier collar on that HWM.

13. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

That dark olive is the mutt's nuts.

14. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I tend to the opinion that black is a bit of a 'blah' leather and rather limiting - brown and cordovan are much more flexible and tend to age more interestingly. I do like olive, but I would agree that an olive with more brown tones is a much more wearable colour.

Fanch, navetsea, Bobby Peru and 2 others like this.
  15. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

I only have one black leather jacket, and that's a Stockman- I reckon that black is better for shorter jackets, otherwise there just seems to be too much of it. The Stockman's easily the best pattern for a harsh winter, though.

Will Zach likes this.
  16. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Thedi’s Verde Deerskin is a really nice color.
    E5DF8015-8551-40A6-8A4D-53816669D025.jpeg

I also have 1 black jacket (P. Highwayman) and I think it works well for the design. My others are all dark browns. I love the idea of blue, but I didn’t wear it... I wear olive drab cotton jackets and shirts all the time. I feel Aero’s olive is too light for my skin tone.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  17. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I actually had a jacket from Aero's olive. Here's the scoop IMO...it looked a little "painted on". Not necessarily a bad thing given the color, being that bold, the color is the leather's merit.

But an olive or navy will somewhat take attention away from the more organic features of a leather you tend to notice more in browns or earthy colors.

Psant25 likes this.
  18. dudewuttheheck

Wow, that Thedi deerskin looks absolutely stunning!!

Jrolfe likes this.
  19. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

I am sure that this has been asked, but why is black-dyed leather ubiquitous? Did it originally hide scars, or was it due to black dyes being easy to make? I have no idea.

20. Dr H

Dr H One Too Many

I have the Journeyman in Jet Black deerskin, which is a pebbled grain and satin finish, which gives it plenty of depth. The goatskin is a warm brown, based on the colour of the Gordon & Ferguson M-422.