Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did they carry in those tiny suitcases?

Weston

A-List Customer
Hi all! First post from a longtime lurker.

I was watching Chariots of Fire last night (takes place 1919-1924 I believe) and it showed one of the main characters, Abrahams, unpacking a small suitcase. Inside was some sort of pallate knife sort of object, running shoes, another sportcoat and a white cloth obscured the rest.

I went to my grandmothers closet (I inherited her house after she passed away) and got out her 40's-50's era Schwader Brothers Samsonite luggage. Consists of a hatbox(I think?), make up case and suitcase all matching, metal monogrammed and with original locks. But the suitcase is tiny, the size of the one in Chariots of Fire.

So, forgiving my long post, when traveling, what did people of this era take with them in those suitcases? They look too small to hold even 2 days worth of clothing!!

Thanks a mil,

W

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
suitcase

I was trying to think of an old movie where you see someone unpacking and it took me days but I finally came up with one, strangely enough it's my favorite movie. It Happened One Night, Gable and Colbert are the leads. He opens and takes things out of his suit case a few times but I'm not sure if there is a close up shot. The movie might not be that helpful because it appears he has 2 sets of
pajamas and maybe a towel if I remember right in there along with all his clothes so...I'm with you how did he fit all that in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany