What Did You Drink Last Night?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by kiltie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MarkJohn

MarkJohn One of the Regulars

Jameson.

2. They are making Cigar Malt again but it is a different recipe than previously. For about $100 a bottle it also costs a lot more.

3. Drunk. :p

4. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Elijah Craig 12yo bourbon. I'd had their 18yo and been blown away. The 12 is ballsier but has several levels of flavor I am just discerning. Not badly priced either ($21 the fifth at Surdyk's in Minneapolis).

5. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Heck no, that's what the hard liquor is for lol

On a related note, I'm drinking whiskey and coke tonight.

6. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Whiskey and coke? Please tell me that's just bourbon your drinking and not fine single malt, otherwise I may just weep.

7. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

It's whatever was cheapest at the Pick 'n Save. Wakefield Family or some such. Some sort of blended whiskey, I think it said on the label. I dunno, I'm typically a beer guy lol

8. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

Still finishing the Cabernet/Syrah blend I bought a few days back.
    Winding down from chores? Sounds like a good plan to me.

9. Cody Pendant

Cody Pendant One of the Regulars

Rumple Minze schnapps

10. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi Sloan

You might want to weep just a little for Venezuela. A college friend (whom I haven't heard from since) says that South Americans drink Scotch and Coke. Personally I'd gag, I swear. I don't have any Coke or I'd try it in the Famous Grouse just to see what it would be like. Don't worry, Coke ain't touching the Taliskers or the Liaphrog (spelling).

Later

11. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

If I recall, a few years ago Bells tried to market a ready-mixed whisky and coke concoction, but it died a swift death. I think the more ersatz blended ones try to market themselves this way to appeal to a younger palate, but it's daft. Single malt whiskies are the reward you get for realising that sickly sweet shooters and other such nastiness are just wrong and that there's more to alcohol than just intoxication :D. Oh, and I cannot think of a more obnoxious mixture than Leapfrog and any soft drink. A drop of water, that's all you need.

12. lol lol lol Oh.
    What kind of whiskey?

13. Makes sense to me. There are also so many different flavors from the different producing regions that you can certainly find a single malt for any taste---straight. I don't even add water unless I can get the water that it was made with. :p

14. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

[​IMG]

15. Well at least hipsters ain't interested in it.:p

16. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

Too cold for them. ;)

17. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Some do, some don't, but drop of water can help 'open up' a very strong, concentrated whisky, like a lot of the Islay ones, and make it a less eye-watering experience. :D

18. majormajor

majormajor One Too Many

The Bow Bar in Edinburgh (on one of those crescents just below the Castle) is my favourite Scotch drinking spot. The aromas wafting round that place are simply intoxicating! They have some nice beer as well!:D;)

[​IMG]

19. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I'm looking forward to propping up their bar at the end of next week! A great pub.

20. chanteuseCarey

chanteuseCarey Call Me a Cab

out at dinner this past SAturday night in a restaurant called Tequilla Jack's in Long Beach, a cosmopolitan.