Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do I have? Windward? Civilian G-1? G-2?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi All,

Found a vintage leather jacket in a store in
Hudson, NY the other day.
It's some of the heaviest leather I have ever had-
heavier than my FQHH Aero for sure. There are no
maker's marks except on the back of the snaps, where
it carries the impression of "Durable - DOT - RG".
Even the zippers have no marks. The lining is gone
(fine by me), and it appears any label is gone with it.
Super heavy knits. And yes, about a size 50!!

The front looks like a Windward, but the back is like a G-1.

Here it is as I bought it:
IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting looks like a G2 or Raider flying jacket (yep, the G1 style back) but with an external wind flap, the pattern was from around 1980 I think by Charles Chevignon. A heap of companies made versions from Avirex to Gibson and Barnes.

Here's an Avirex

post-2-1263431715.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I concur with the general flow of the answers - it looks to be a 1980s civilian jacket in the generic bomber style, ratherf than a rperoduction of any one particular model. I've handled quite a lot of these over time that were actually of rather good quality (my first "A2" ...ish... was something along these lines). Tpo my eye, if you can find one with the right fit (i.e. not too blousey), they're not far off the 1950s civilian bomber jacket style.

feltfan

Huh. Seems to me more like heavy steer. I'm not disagreeing with the consensus but the leather is SO heavy and the knits are SO heavy. As I noted definitely heavier than my aero fqhh. I thought those avirex jackets were lower quality? And why isn't it branded all over? Thanks all for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Huh. Seems to me more like heavy steer. I'm not disagreeing with the consensus but the leather is SO heavy and the knits are SO heavy. As I noted definitely heavier than my aero fqhh. I thought those avirex jackets were lower quality? And why isn't it branded all over? Thanks all for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one said it was Avirex, I said that Avirex and others made the G2 style. I believe that one is a Chevignon (the originator of the pattern) in thick cowhide from the 1980's. The brand was all in the lining. They were well made.

Chevignon.jpg

Last edited:

feltfan

Interesting. It's not precisely that, either, since it had a zip-in lining at one time.
When I said the lining was gone, that wasn't quite right- there is a black satin lining
still intact.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. It's a durable jacket I'll keep around as an
indestructible beater. Unless it turns out to be someone's dream jacket, in which
case get in touch.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The lining above I posted to give you an idea of the logo and how they branded their jackets. These G2's had black lining, various tartan linings and a range of earth tones too. Because yours has more angled zips and an external windflap - things I've only seen on a Chevinon G2 - that's why I think it's one of them. It may turn out to be a Cooper or an Avirex but I doubt it.

feltfan

"Pretty bog-standard mall quality jacket. And when I say mall quality, I'm comparing it to the higher quality that was around in the early 1980's, not today's plastic stuff."

Hm, I'd say a good bit better than that, at least the leather and manufacture of this one.
But yeah, I put on one of my Johnson D-pockets last night and that's another world.
Still, there are good uses for a tough-as-nails leather jacket.

Did some image searches and yeah, closest thing seems to be the Chevignon.
Interesting. Thanks for all the images and info, all.

armscye

One of the Regulars
It's almost certainly a Chevignon-- which by the way was not a shabby mall jacketeer, but rather one of the early high-gfrade jacket makers, and worthy of special attention. They never made contract repros, but they built to a very high standard. Still in b usiness today, by the way.

I have a G1-ish Chevignon with flapped pockets, but otherwise the original poster's snap placement, shape of the action back, short wrist knits, sleeve assembly, and the thick leather construction match exactly. BTW my Chevignon is one of the heaviest jackets I own-- it's marked as being "Argentine Leather" on an inner tab, and is a full 1.5mm/3-3/4 oz of hard-finished, somewhat stiff hide that looks like it would stop a bullet. At least one source I've read suggests that Chevignon used unmarked South American horsehide, because in their domestic French market the use of horsehide was culturally viewed as uncouth. But whether steer or horse, it's a good 'un.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points