Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you consider high rise?

Jade88

New in Town
I've seen the Wrangler Cowboy Cut 13WMZ advertised as high waisted at 11 1/8" , but I've seen some sites call that mid rise but the standards of yesteryear.

In the 1940s and 1950s how high was the rise? What do you consider high rise?

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I've also tried to understand what is high rise at some point but the answer that I got was that it was either a personal thing or a historic thing as styles/fads changed over the decades.
In terms of personal I would say 10"-11" is mid-high, 11"+ is high.
Maybe others can chime in what would be considered high rise during the periods that you mentioned.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As with so many things I try to explain here, numbers are meaningless.

There are jeans with 12"+ rises that are low rise, because the waist is designed to sit on the hips.

Wrangler Cowboy Cut isn't high rise; it just seems so after the 2000s fad of revealed-butt rises.

unhatted

One of the Regulars
I love the look of a high waisted trouser but i can’t get them to stay up there in practice, however high the rise!

CatsCan

Practically Family
What has been said. Plus: There is a huge difference between Wrangler 13WMZ for the European market vs those for the US. The European Cowboy Cut Wranglers have a much lower waist and are made from inferior fabric imo.
For my body proportions a high rise sits above my hip fat :) and just at my belly button. It is hard to get some Jeans over here with a cut that fits me up there without looking oversized in the butt area. I used to wear a lot of Pike Brothers 1936 Models but they have the issue that the back pockets are placed terribly low and the rise is mid high without proper drop between back and front rise., so they cut into my lower stomach or bladder if you like when sitting or kneeling.

This is me in one of my favorite denims, it sits right at my belly button without the seat being too wide. When I took this picture it was brand new. Waist is 36" (label says W34), back rise 15.5" and front rise 13". Brand is Le Baiser, which is endemic to Denmark, I bought it there from a shop called Quint. Nice thick denim, nice dark blue. I bet it'll wear nicely.

high.jpg

Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
I love the look of a high waisted trouser but i can’t get them to stay up there in practice, however high the rise!
Could be that your natural waist is wider in circumference than your hip. Or the trouser is too wide at the waistband. In this case you could have them tailored down a bit on both sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner