Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think about Fedorifying this old cowboy

mattface

Practically Family
So this thing has been collecting dust in my closet for well over a decade. I thought it was great when I got it at a flea market back in '93, or at least I did once I'd bashed the 10-gallon crown down into a halfway respectable C, but over the years the 4" brim got to feel a little ridiculous on me, so it sat.

I still think it could be a pretty cool hat clearly it's in need of a good cleaning and blocking, but I like it, I think it suits me, or could. So I'm thinking of cutting 1 1/2" +/- from the brim, and maybe fitting a nice grosgrain ribbon, and of course giving it a good clean and block. What do you think? Is it worth the trouble? It says "DynaFelt Deluxe Fur Blend" which I assume means rabbit/wool, so nothing super fancy, and it's rather stiff compared to most Fedora felt.

Then again what is there to lose? a hat that would otherwise be rattling around in the storage closet?

mattface

Practically Family
Yeah I'm pretty sure I will at this point, and I expect I'll find lots of good threads here to help me figure out how best to do it, but a couple of questions right off the top of my head:
What's the best way to mark the brim so it stays nice and even all the way around? I'm picturing a tool made with a sewing marker, a peg, and some cardboard to trace the outside of the brim, and mark a fixed distance in from there, but I figure others have probably also come up with interesting tools. I'm worried about taking scissors or a razor blade to this. Without guidance I think I would probably go with a fresh sharp single edge razor blade, but again if anyone has tools or tips for hat brim trimming I'd love to hear them before I commence cutting.

Also where's a good place to get grosgrain ribbon for hatbands?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why not?

Fedora-fy it and learn from the experience! Then start snaggin' much cheaper westerns and you will only improve your technique!

At times only a re-crease and a bit of steam aided brim/crown manipulation are needed on those hats with brims less than 3". Jimmy the lid has magic fingers.

Can't wait to see the results! Lots of "cut down" info here -use google search & look at "the conversion corral"!

mattface

Practically Family
Fedora-fy it and learn from the experience! Then start snaggin' much cheaper westerns and you will only improve your technique!

At times only a re-crease and a bit of steam aided brim/crown manipulation are needed on those hats with brims less than 3". Jimmy the lid has magic fingers.

Can't wait to see the results! Lots of "cut down" info here -use google search & look at "the conversion corral"!

that's a great link thanks!

mattface

Practically Family
Go for it. See those done in Conversion Corral thread. That crease looks more teardrop or telescope with a front pinch than a C crease. A C has a very distinct V & C to it...

Telescope with a front pinch! Thank you, that's exactly the terminology I've been looking for. I knew C wasn't quite right.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
You can lay the hat flat on a table and use a ruler to measure out from the brim break to where you want the cut. Do this around the entire brim, using as many points as you can before you get batty. Then, using a piece of chalk, play connect the dots and cut with a very sharp scissor. Stay to the outside of the line so you have what to sand smooth and still have the brim width you want. Remember, you can always make it smaller, but you cant make it bigger again.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Seems like a good idea to me. I 'safari-ized' a Indiana Jones wool and it worked out pretty well. And who knows? It may start you on a whole new career. I think several of our finest custom hatters began by messing around with an old lid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred