Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think about rolling up the sleeves once in leather jackets?

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I have this LL MK2 jacket.

I have disproportionately large shoulders compared to chest, so I sized up for the comfort.

But the problem is that the sleeves are about 2inches long.

I thought about shortening the sleeves but I worry that it'll ruin the jacket.

So, instead of destroying the integrity of this beautiful jacket, I rolled up the sleeves just once.

And it looked fine. (Maybe it's so only to my eyes)

My question is... What do you think about this 'roll up the sleeves' in leather jackets?

Would that damage the leather in any way?

Or do you guys think it's strange to do so?

Plumbline

One Too Many
I roll up button cuff leather jacket sleeves all the time (unbuttoned). Shearling jackets (ANJ-4 / D-1) ... yup. Knitted cuff sleeves (G-1 / A-2) .. yup. Especially if they are only an inch or so too long. Other than minor creasing it doesn't "damage" the leather in any way. Though it may put off some buyers were you to resell it.

I never roll up "American / storm cuff" sleeves or zip sleeve cuffs as this just looks wrong IMHO ... they are quite easily shortened and the integrity doesn't suffer IMHO.

I also suspect this will not be the lounge norm :)

Edward

Bartender
Not a roller myself, but then I've never had a jacket where the sleeves were noticeably too long. My Johnson D-pocket has longer sleeves than some of my jackets, so I just zip up the sleeves more often.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I roll up button cuff leather jacket sleeves all the time (unbuttoned). Shearling jackets (ANJ-4 / D-1) ... yup. Knitted cuff sleeves (G-1 / A-2) .. yup. Especially if they are only an inch or so too long. Other than minor creasing it doesn't "damage" the leather in any way. Though it may put off some buyers were you to resell it.

I never roll up "American / storm cuff" sleeves or zip sleeve cuffs as this just looks wrong IMHO ... they are quite easily shortened and the integrity doesn't suffer IMHO.

I also suspect this will not be the lounge norm :)

Thank god I wasn't the only one!

Yes, it isn't as bad as I thought when rolled up. I like the fact that it shows a tiny bit of lining.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Not a roller myself, but then I've never had a jacket where the sleeves were noticeably too long. My Johnson D-pocket has longer sleeves than some of my jackets, so I just zip up the sleeves more often.

True that. zip-up sleeves don't really need the roll-up. You can simply zip it up!

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
I find it difficult to roll up the sleeves of my leather jacket. Never done it before.

I always picture this with regard to sleeve rolling on a leather jacket
beverly-hills-cop.jpg

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I always picture this with regard to sleeve rolling on a leather jacket
beverly-hills-cop.jpg

Great artwork!

Yes, A2 can be worn that way also!

Initially, I meant for the way you roll up your dress shirts but soon realized that most people think of what's depicted above when they hear 'roll up the sleeves'...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
it will leave folding crease, but won't harm the leather, the same like collared jackets, and if it looks great don't second guess yourself based on what other people say, however if the jacket is too big everywhere else but the shoulder, then it would still look big even with the sleeve rolled, perhaps then your body type needs another pattern or custom size.

@ton312, that's a blast from the past! I lost my virginity to Faltermeyer's Axel F!

Although my story isn't as good...it was the first ringtone I bought. LOL. I'm not going to lie. That movie is a best in class 80's monument and one of my favorite scenes:

Last edited:
It's only OK for Eddie or Don Johnson ala Miami vice, maybe Swayze and Russell? You get outside of '89...well...you've done gone too far off the reservation.
If you have to roll the sleeves...you don't need to wear the jacket.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Eddie Murphy's cuffs are just pushed up his forearm ... these are rolled ( Eastman ANJ-4)

View attachment 86353
I have one like this and roll my cuffs once also roll my cuff up, but sometimes leave it down.
This is an earlier design ANJ4 by Eastman as can be seen by the pocket design. Eastman will not make this design anymore even though I think it is more attractive and historically correct than the button pocket style. Had the bomb tag too but could not get on with it so added a more personalised puller to the zip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points