Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this ALC irvin?

kted1114

New in Town
Hello, its actually my first time I'm leaving a post in the forum. I've always enjoyed looking around and admiring all the marvelous posts here!
To the point, I have my eyes on a 2nd hand ALC irvin and I was thinking if I could get some help from the gents here before I made the plunge.
According to the seller, the jacket was purchased in the late 80's and is a size 38. I usually where a 40 (or medium), but I can't really tell if this will fit me or not. I know ALCs are not the exact replica of the WWII versions but they work for me and plus its so hard to come by an irvin over here in the states.
Also, the seller is asking for $325 which seems like an ok price, but what do you think? The jacket itself looks to be in quite good condition.
Thanks!

https://picasaweb.google.com/kted11...?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGQ6b3MmZe5Bw&feat=directlink

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The earlier ALC Irvins are better than the more recent ones. This is one of their nicer reproductions. Fortunately it doesn't have pockets and the price is very fair.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
Hi, and welcome.
I've got the same. It's well made, but differents little things could be better. I usually wear a 40, and mine is a size 40. The chest is good, maybe a little snuggy. So I'm affraid a 38 is probably to small if you usually wear 40... It's not an exact replica, you are right: the different arms patern, longer in the back, YKK zip, darker colour, etc ... But I like it. The sheapskin is beautifull, and It's my warmer jacket (I use it for motorbike riding). If you have questions...
Cheers.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
As Andrew says the early ALC offerings are very nice.

In the very early days ALC offered an early pattern Irvin which is a rather good looking jacket. James Pibworth here posted a particularly nice example about 2 or 3 years ago.

Nice jacket kted and enjoy it!

kted1114

New in Town
Thanks for all the comments! I've decided that the best way to figure out the fit is to try it on. Luckily, the seller is in the area not so far away from where I live tomorrow, so he agreed to meet me with the jacket. Hope it fits!
I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I'll be coming home with a nice jacket tomorrow

Ted

kted1114

New in Town
Well, I met the seller to try it on, but pretty much as gyrobroyeur said, the size 38 was a little too small for me. I couldn't get the zipper to zip up.
Plus, the lining inside was perfect, but the leather outside was quite stiff, or close to 'crispy'. It looked like it hadn't been treated with any conditioner for a long time.
I guess I'll have to keep searching;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ