What do you use to shave?

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by Bebop, Nov 1, 2005.

1. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I found a '66 Gillette slim adjustable in a cup of old razors at an antique shop last week for $3 and grabbed it. It's working out really well and I see why so many members have spoken so highly of it. I'm giving my 1912 a rest for now since this one came along.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Horseoak and Trenchfriend like this.
  2. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Actually using a Shavette to cut the bristles down and then shave with Gillette Blue II plus.

3. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Say what you want. The Merkur 15c as the classic prototype Gillette-style open-comb razor is still one of the best. Totally indulgent, enough lather running through the open comb, easy handling, perfect short handle, well balanced! :)

I tried it today, after a long time, and the first time with the actual King C. Gillette DE blade. Worked well and gentle.

4. Jeffrey Westcott

Jeffrey Westcott New in Town

Just a little hand soap and a plastic razor. May have to upgrade.

Horseoak likes this.
  5. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

I recommend the classic open-comb razor, with short handle.
    The easiest way to start traditional wetshaving, in my opinion. And there is practically no real need for any other types. :)

Plus a greybadger brush (cheaper basic badgerbrush) for the best "massaging-in-effect".

Horseoak likes this.
  6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm using a new generation Panasonic shaver. Ridiculously close shave in 3-4 minutes, no water or fuss. And it's true, there's no mystique or charm.

Horseoak likes this.
  7. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Today, I grabbed the solid Baili TTO with a King C. Gillette blade. Lathered with the Wilkinson shavesoap stick (which I prefer to the Palmolive stick).

This combination worked very well, sharp and efficient.
    BUT I wouldn't recommend it for rookies! The Baili is still a gentle TTO razor, but with the Gillette blade it's going very sharp and direct! You have to make sure to use an excellent shavesoap!!

8. Pinguinus impennis

Pinguinus impennis New in Town

Chrome safety-razor (family antique of the Great War), "Repira" blades, collapsing brush (purchased antique of the same period, badger), D.R. Harris shaving soap (lavender) in family shaving mug.

Trenchfriend likes this.