Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What gives you that vintage feeling?

Weston

A-List Customer
If we all love the era, the clothes, movies, etc, there must exist (or at least there does for me) a moment of perfection - when we do something we think of as quintessentially of the time, or that reminds us of "back then."

One for me, an actuality, the second a dream.

1. Cotton men's pajama sets from out of my drawers in my 50's Russel Wright furniture. The smell of the pajamas and drawers is exactly that of my Grandfather. When I wear the cotton pajama sets I look like him and feel like him too. Very nice.

2. The dream would be walking out of a rainy NY day into an Automat for a hot lunch while wearing a fedora and raincoat. Hope some day I can actually visit anything close to an automat!

Anyone else, the height of that vintage feeling? What we all long for in experience?

Heater

Familiar Face
For me its a fedora, My WWI 1911 pistol, and my semi auto Thompson, all those put me in a 1930s frame of mind....

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There's a nightclub in London that recreates the 1930's Cotton Club of Chicago. It's only on once a month, but that's enough to live a fantasy for a few hours. Zoot suit, two tone brogues, fedora and a wonderful necktie imprinted with images of Toulouse Lautrec's sketches of 19th century cancan scenes.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Saturday night. Dismuke playing on the Radiola, the the cool evening breeze wafting through the screens, the dull whine of the electric fan, inturrupted by the explosive banging and gurgling of the side-arm water heater, ready to blow!;)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
What a fun question! For me it's simply styling my hair. I can wear vintage, but if my hair isn't so, I don't feel it. Yet when it is styled I can slum in my clothes and still feel like a movie star!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The thing that gives me a vintage feeling is using stuff that most people don't anymore...

Fedora hats.
Pocketwatches.
Fountain pens.
Straight-razors.
Waistcoats.

On the subject of automats, the closest thing I could think of, is the chain Pret A Manger, in London. Not really the same thing, but I fail to find anything else in today's world that really comes close.

Flicka

One Too Many
Cooking and baking period recipes, preferably to period music. Also reading old, half-forgotten novels

St. Louis

Practically Family
Ditto novels and baking. Flicka, have you ever read anything by Monica Dickens? Wonderful, funny books. Check out A Pair of Hands.

Also:

--knitting while listening to KDHX's Old Time Music program on my cathedral radio, wearing a vintage dress, perfume & hairstyle

--playing my 78s and attempting to teach myself to fox trot

--all the tiny little corners in my house that are slowly becoming more and more vintage: the top of my dressing table with vintage perfumes and makeup; my desk with its phones and office supplies; a drawer full of gloves and handkerchiefs ... that kind of thing.

There are lots of 1930s streets in my neighborhood; if I squint my eyes and pretend not to see the modern cars parked there, I can definitely get that vintage feeling (assuming I'm dressed to match the houses.)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cool and dark Autumn days and evenings. The right music playing in the background while getting ready to go out. The smell of Sweet Georgia Brown pomade. Hearing the sound of the train through my open window as it goes though my town.

There's much more. I'll be back.
Great idea for a thread!

Espee

Practically Family
Fred Allen made reference to the position of "lettuce bender in an automat."
The guy who makes sure the salads and sandwiches fit into the little compartments...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
For me.... anything that is not electronic.... no cell phone ...no electronic books... no Ipad no thing like that.

Books...paper books give me the vintage feeling.

Yes, reading paper books make me feel in the past! :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, especially after trying a Kindle for a while. Didn't care for it at all.

And for me what makes a book feel even more from the past is when I borrow it from the library. Takes me right back to my childhood no matter how many times I do it.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I have two things that bring me into the past, one to the 30's and the other to the 50's.

1) When I moved my Model A from my parents house in Oregon to Ca. I got off of I-5 and onto 99W and was able to cruise with nobody else on the road at 45 mph with the window down and the windshield open! It was just like being back in the 30's.

2) Going to the drive in movie with my speakers. Invariably someone will ask about them and the kids/adults nowadays don't even know what they are. But it is nice to sit there in my chair with a soad and some snacks and listen to the movie the way they should be.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points